Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Chalkperson » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:15 am

http://babylonwales.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... avies.html

This is too bizarre for words, this guy knows all about me, my anonymity is gone, up till now all you got on the Internet was this one reference that was factually incorrect, although quite flattering...he thinks I should be on Welsh Stamps...

http://music.msn.com/music/artist-biogr ... ie-davies/
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Werner
CMG's Elder Statesman
Posts: 4223
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:23 pm
Location: Irvington, NY

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Werner » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:26 am

Nice to meeet you, Chalkie. And there's more to you, as we can tell from the knowledge and sophistication of your musical posts, and your presence on this site. Not to mention the potential we still don't know.

I repeat myself - nice to meet you, good to have you on board. Keep up the good work!
Werner Isler

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Seán » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:57 pm

I am in agreement with Werner, it is a real pleasure to have you here Chalkie, is this one of yours? :lol:

Image
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence
Posts: 9816
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by karlhenning » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Quite the head-banger, she!

Cheers,
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Fergus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Wow Chalkie, famous at last 8)

HoustonDavid
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am
Location: Houston, Texas, USA

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by HoustonDavid » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Chalkie has left clues about his "famous" side in his many postings and thread
responses, but this kind of put specifics to the clues. Sorry you've lost your
"anonymity" good friend, but most of us here knew at least a little about some
of your younger escapades and more famous enterprises. Thank you for sharing
the details. Can't quite see you on a stamp, though. :D
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

slofstra
Posts: 8995
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by slofstra » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:04 pm

In the year 2525, British Post is please to announce #73 in a series of stamps commemorating leading lights of the 20th century. Featuring Chalkie Davies on the 1p stamp, and Simon Rattle on the 2p. :)

Donaldopato
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Donaldopato » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:40 pm

slofstra wrote:In the year 2525, British Post is please to announce #73 in a series of stamps commemorating leading lights of the 20th century. Featuring Chalkie Davies on the 1p stamp, and Simon Rattle on the 2p. :)


I can only hope I am around to see that! And you know he would moan the fact that Rattle's stamp is worth more. :lol:
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

slofstra
Posts: 8995
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by slofstra » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:42 pm

Donaldopato wrote:
slofstra wrote:In the year 2525, British Post is please to announce #73 in a series of stamps commemorating leading lights of the 20th century. Featuring Chalkie Davies on the 1p stamp, and Simon Rattle on the 2p. :)


I can only hope I am around to see that! And you know he would moan the fact that Rattle's stamp is worth more. :lol:
Somehow I don't think you will be, unless your last name is Zager.

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Chalkperson » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:56 pm

HoustonDavid wrote:Chalkie has left clues about his "famous" side in his many postings and thread
responses, but this kind of put specifics to the clues. Sorry you've lost your
"anonymity" good friend, but most of us here knew at least a little about some
of your younger escapades and more famous enterprises. Thank you for sharing
the details. Can't quite see you on a stamp, though. :D
I follow the same path as Stanley Kubrick, the Photos should speak for themselves, I am merely the conduit for those images, the only interview I ever did was with the Western Mail, the Welsh National Newspaper 30 years ago, I knew there was a chance that it may get on the internet one day, the Blogger and I have been in contact today actually, I have turned down every request for these images from the 70's and 80's for nearly forty years, but, Wales asking is something quite different, I will agree to do whatever they want, even though it means going on TV etc, but, I will still refuse the offers to take my picture, I think it's pretty cool to pull that trick off, Stanley never had a single posed picture taken of himself, of course there are images of him at work on his movies, when asked who I would like to photograph, given that I had done almost everyone I admired, I always said Stanley Kubrick, when putting out my book I approached him via his daughter Vivian who I knew because she wanted to follow up her Documentary on The Shining with one on my friends in the band Squeeze, he refused so graciously, he would proud of me for sticking to my/our policy, I think...like Stanley I hated being famous, having people ask for your autograph at 24 years old just because you take pictures of Rock Stars is crazy, and, whenever I was introduced to people, as soon as the word Chalkie came up the reaction was always the same "you are that famous photographer", it meant the conversation immediately became about me and my clients, people would ask things like "Did you really meet David Bowie", I never gave the answer but in my mind I always wanted to reply "No, he just happened to be standing in front of a piece of white paper, with his stage clothes on and fully made up and I just walked past with my camera", so, I gave up Rock and Roll when my dear friend and housemate Phil Lynott died, by that time I had lost about 16 friends, when Keith Moon died I told Pete Townshend that maybe we should just accept that Keith had run out of life, he liked that idea, so that's how I tried to see my departed friends...rather than risk running out of my own life I came to America and moved into a different kind of photography, the reason I say my cover is blown is because none of my clients have a clue about who I used to be, Welsh people are Mad by definition, so any of my idiocyncracies can be put down to that, especially the oddball list of likes and dislikes that I air here every week or so...CMG are my friends and family, I could never ask for anything more than that, you guys are awesome, thank you for your kindness and friendship...

PS, it's not me they want for a stamp, it's my Photos, not sure about it now, but, in the past you could only put dead people on stamps, can you imagine how cool a Sid Vicious stamp would be... :wink:
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Prometheus
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Prometheus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:57 am

Thanks for sharing, Chalkie! :)

HoustonDavid
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am
Location: Houston, Texas, USA

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by HoustonDavid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:49 am

Chalkie, is the book of your photographs still in print - and for sale - and are you
planning to publish another collection of your photographs?
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:32 am

HoustonDavid wrote:Chalkie, is the book of your photographs still in print - and for sale - and are you
planning to publish another collection of your photographs?
Should be some for sale cheap on Amazon, Townshend published it on Eel Pie Books, I told him i'd only do it if there was a guarantee that I did not have to do another, they consume your time up so badly...if I were to it, i'd not do a conventional book, i'd do it as an App for the iPad, i'm in the Apple Development Program...i'm already working on a Design Photography App Book...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Seán » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:01 am

slofstra wrote:In the year 2525, British Post is please to announce #73 in a series of stamps commemorating leading lights of the 20th century. Featuring Chalkie Davies on the 1p stamp, and Simon Rattle on the 2p. :)
or
Featuring Chalkie Davies on the 1p stamp, and Simon Rattle on reverse so that you'll have to lick SSRattle to put our dear Chalkie on the letter. :lol:
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Seán » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:02 am

Chalkperson wrote:
HoustonDavid wrote:Chalkie has left clues about his "famous" side in his many postings and thread
responses, but this kind of put specifics to the clues. Sorry you've lost your
"anonymity" good friend, but most of us here knew at least a little about some
of your younger escapades and more famous enterprises. Thank you for sharing
the details. Can't quite see you on a stamp, though. :D
I follow the same path as Stanley Kubrick, the Photos should speak for themselves, I am merely the conduit for those images, the only interview I ever did was with the Western Mail, the Welsh National Newspaper 30 years ago, I knew there was a chance that it may get on the internet one day, the Blogger and I have been in contact today actually, I have turned down every request for these images from the 70's and 80's for nearly forty years, but, Wales asking is something quite different, I will agree to do whatever they want, even though it means going on TV etc, but, I will still refuse the offers to take my picture, I think it's pretty cool to pull that trick off, Stanley never had a single posed picture taken of himself, of course there are images of him at work on his movies, when asked who I would like to photograph, given that I had done almost everyone I admired, I always said Stanley Kubrick, when putting out my book I approached him via his daughter Vivian who I knew because she wanted to follow up her Documentary on The Shining with one on my friends in the band Squeeze, he refused so graciously, he would proud of me for sticking to my/our policy, I think...like Stanley I hated being famous, having people ask for your autograph at 24 years old just because you take pictures of Rock Stars is crazy, and, whenever I was introduced to people, as soon as the word Chalkie came up the reaction was always the same "you are that famous photographer", it meant the conversation immediately became about me and my clients, people would ask things like "Did you really meet David Bowie", I never gave the answer but in my mind I always wanted to reply "No, he just happened to be standing in front of a piece of white paper, with his stage clothes on and fully made up and I just walked past with my camera", so, I gave up Rock and Roll when my dear friend and housemate Phil Lynott died, by that time I had lost about 16 friends, when Keith Moon died I told Pete Townshend that maybe we should just accept that Keith had run out of life, he liked that idea, so that's how I tried to see my departed friends...rather than risk running out of my own life I came to America and moved into a different kind of photography, the reason I say my cover is blown is because none of my clients have a clue about who I used to be, Welsh people are Mad by definition, so any of my idiocyncracies can be put down to that, especially the oddball list of likes and dislikes that I air here every week or so...CMG are my friends and family, I could never ask for anything more than that, you guys are awesome, thank you for your kindness and friendship...

PS, it's not me they want for a stamp, it's my Photos, not sure about it now, but, in the past you could only put dead people on stamps, can you imagine how cool a Sid Vicious stamp would be... :wink:
I understand where you are coming from Chalkie.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence
Posts: 9816
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by karlhenning » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:01 am

Chalkperson wrote:. . . Welsh people are Mad by definition, so any of my idiocyncracies can be put down to that, especially the oddball list of likes and dislikes that I air here every week or so. . . .
I know you really prefer Maksim Dmitriyevich to Kirill Petrovich . . . that's a peculiarity we can share, certainly : )

Cheers,
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator
Posts: 4005
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 am
Location: In The Steppes Of Central Asia

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by stenka razin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Chalkie, you never cease to impress and amaze me. You really have the 'it' factor. I sincerely hope that everyone respects your desire for anonymity and lets you lead a well deserved private life, my friend. 8)


Regards,
Mel 8)
Image

absinthe
Posts: 3632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: UK

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by absinthe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Wow, Chalkie, what a scene you presided over!

I had a terrible crush on Susan Ballion - Her beauty prevailed right though. I have a lovely photo of her, I suppose in her 20s, (without the accoutrements that brought her initial fame, back in the days of Love in a Void and Captain Scarlet). To think you might have been her photographer. :D

I also had a thing for Viv Albertine of The Slits but she was going out with a Mr Strummer in another of the groups associated with your work!


Alas I was born too late.

Elevating to learn of all this, though! Something sincerely to appreciate.
And yep, you should be on a set of commemoratives!

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Fergus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:20 pm

Chalkperson wrote: I follow the same path as Stanley Kubrick, the Photos should speak for themselves, I am merely the conduit for those images, the only interview I ever did was with the Western Mail, the Welsh National Newspaper 30 years ago, I knew there was a chance that it may get on the internet one day, the Blogger and I have been in contact today actually, I have turned down every request for these images from the 70's and 80's for nearly forty years, but, Wales asking is something quite different, I will agree to do whatever they want, even though it means going on TV etc, but, I will still refuse the offers to take my picture, I think it's pretty cool to pull that trick off, Stanley never had a single posed picture taken of himself, of course there are images of him at work on his movies, when asked who I would like to photograph, given that I had done almost everyone I admired, I always said Stanley Kubrick, when putting out my book I approached him via his daughter Vivian who I knew because she wanted to follow up her Documentary on The Shining with one on my friends in the band Squeeze, he refused so graciously, he would proud of me for sticking to my/our policy, I think...like Stanley I hated being famous, having people ask for your autograph at 24 years old just because you take pictures of Rock Stars is crazy, and, whenever I was introduced to people, as soon as the word Chalkie came up the reaction was always the same "you are that famous photographer", it meant the conversation immediately became about me and my clients, people would ask things like "Did you really meet David Bowie", I never gave the answer but in my mind I always wanted to reply "No, he just happened to be standing in front of a piece of white paper, with his stage clothes on and fully made up and I just walked past with my camera", so, I gave up Rock and Roll when my dear friend and housemate Phil Lynott died, by that time I had lost about 16 friends, when Keith Moon died I told Pete Townshend that maybe we should just accept that Keith had run out of life, he liked that idea, so that's how I tried to see my departed friends...rather than risk running out of my own life I came to America and moved into a different kind of photography, the reason I say my cover is blown is because none of my clients have a clue about who I used to be, Welsh people are Mad by definition, so any of my idiocyncracies can be put down to that, especially the oddball list of likes and dislikes that I air here every week or so...CMG are my friends and family, I could never ask for anything more than that, you guys are awesome, thank you for your kindness and friendship...

PS, it's not me they want for a stamp, it's my Photos, not sure about it now, but, in the past you could only put dead people on stamps, can you imagine how cool a Sid Vicious stamp would be... :wink:
What an excellent and indeed eloquent post my friend and methinks that one is being far too modest in respect of ones abilities as I know that it takes just a little more than "point and shoot" to create a good image :wink:

absinthe
Posts: 3632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: UK

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by absinthe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Chalkperson wrote:PS, it's not me they want for a stamp, it's my Photos, not sure about it now, but, in the past you could only put dead people on stamps, can you imagine how cool a Sid Vicious stamp would be...
He was certainly the image of his times... no doubt Mr Rotten/Lydon would have expected to be on the next value (stamp). The only problem with Sid Vicious is that he couldn't play - the irony being that's probably why Glen Matlock had to leave, having co-written most of the songs on Never Mind the whatever...

Well, I reckon Siouxsie Sioux should be on the £5 stamp. She may not have 'departed' but the spirit of her age has, more or less. Hopefully you'll have photographed her.

:)

Donaldopato
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:46 pm

slofstra wrote:
Donaldopato wrote:
slofstra wrote:In the year 2525, British Post is please to announce #73 in a series of stamps commemorating leading lights of the 20th century. Featuring Chalkie Davies on the 1p stamp, and Simon Rattle on the 2p. :)


I can only hope I am around to see that! And you know he would moan the fact that Rattle's stamp is worth more. :lol:
Somehow I don't think you will be, unless your last name is Zager.
I read it as 2025 :oops: .. yeah, I do not think I will live to see the day. :wink:
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18531
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:11 pm

Anthony Brockway's tribute to the Legendary and Great Chalkie Davies is QUITE a tribute! I was very pleased to read the whole article. I always knew Mr. Davis was a very special and talented man! Twould be nice if our Chalkie WAS on Welsh (and American) stamps!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:14 am

absinthe wrote:
Chalkperson wrote:PS, it's not me they want for a stamp, it's my Photos, not sure about it now, but, in the past you could only put dead people on stamps, can you imagine how cool a Sid Vicious stamp would be...
He was certainly the image of his times... no doubt Mr Rotten/Lydon would have expected to be on the next value (stamp). The only problem with Sid Vicious is that he couldn't play - the irony being that's probably why Glen Matlock had to leave, having co-written most of the songs on Never Mind the whatever...

Well, I reckon Siouxsie Sioux should be on the £5 stamp. She may not have 'departed' but the spirit of her age has, more or less. Hopefully you'll have photographed her.

:)
Glen got thrown out by Malcolm because he said publicly that he liked the Beatles, Siouxie and I stayed apart, Pennie Smith always shot her for the NME, I abstained cos I hated her music and because you should not shoot someone who's music you dislike...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:20 am

Fergus wrote: What an excellent and indeed eloquent post my friend and methinks that one is being far too modest in respect of ones abilities as I know that it takes just a little more than "point and shoot" to create a good image :wink:
It's actually pretty easy, you just have to know where to put the camera, which lens to use, and where to put the light...there is only one Sun in the Sky, so you only need one light to photograph a human, although sometimes it's a very big light... :wink:
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:11 am

Chalkperson wrote:
Fergus wrote: What an excellent and indeed eloquent post my friend and methinks that one is being far too modest in respect of ones abilities as I know that it takes just a little more than "point and shoot" to create a good image :wink:
It's actually pretty easy, you just have to know where to put the camera, which lens to use, and where to put the light...there is only one Sun in the Sky, so you only need one light to photograph a human, although sometimes it's a very big light... :wink:
I was involved in club photography for many years here in Dublin and I have some friends who are excellent (amateur) photographers both technically and artistically so I know that you are being over modest dear Chalkie (intentionally or not). Greatness in any field is always making the difficult or challanging things seem easy.

CharmNewton
Posts: 1971
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:10 pm

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by CharmNewton » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:17 am

Chalkie, you have a gift of capturing warmth in artists who don't generally project that quality. The artists are very much at ease.

I'm curious how you got that picture of Paul McCartney's bass (with its hand-written copy of the program taped to it) in San Francisco in 1966.

John

absinthe
Posts: 3632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: UK

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by absinthe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:39 am

Chalkperson wrote:Glen got thrown out by Malcolm because he said publicly that he liked the Beatles, Siouxie and I stayed apart, Pennie Smith always shot her for the NME, I abstained cos I hated her music and because you should not shoot someone who's music you dislike...
Shame. Oh well....but... I'm of a slightly different view about not shooting someone whose music I don't like. I've attended a few concerts where I might have done something terrible to a performer.
But you know what it's like these days, they don't even allow you to take a catapult and bag of tomatoes into the Royal Opera House, let alone a Barrett Light 50 paintball gun.

:D

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by jbuck919 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:57 pm

At least he didn't divulge your real (Welsh) name. Don't worry, Chalkie, your secret is safe with me. After depositing your check for the meet-up, which did show your real name, I promptly forgot it (trust me, folks, you never heard this one).

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

IcedNote
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by IcedNote » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:43 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that! Thanks for calling some attention to yourself, Chalkhuman. ;)

-G
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:09 pm

CharmNewton wrote:Chalkie, you have a gift of capturing warmth in artists who don't generally project that quality. The artists are very much at ease.

I'm curious how you got that picture of Paul McCartney's bass (with its hand-written copy of the program taped to it) in San Francisco in 1966.

John
I was touring with Wings in 1979, I was backstage in the Guitar Room at Edinburgh and opened a Flight Case, inside was that Hoffner Bass, it had the Set List from the last Beatles Concert taped to it, I was speechless and took a very quick snap of it, hence the not so great composition, it was during the time that Paul was reluctant to talk about The Beatles so I put it away very quickly...I spoke to someone quite recently who said the list was still taped to the Bass, in 1979 it was insured for One Million Pounds...as for people looking relaxed, most of these people are my friends, that's why they look like that...

The 1966 San Francisco caption refers to the Set at Candlestick Park, not the Photograph...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:31 pm

jbuck919 wrote:At least he didn't divulge your real (Welsh) name. Don't worry, Chalkie, your secret is safe with me. After depositing your check for the meet-up, which did show your real name, I promptly forgot it (trust me, folks, you never heard this one).
Actually, i'm named after a beloved Welsh King who lived from 880-950 AD...Google away folks...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Seán » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:11 am

Chalkperson wrote:
jbuck919 wrote:At least he didn't divulge your real (Welsh) name. Don't worry, Chalkie, your secret is safe with me. After depositing your check for the meet-up, which did show your real name, I promptly forgot it (trust me, folks, you never heard this one).
Actually, i'm named after a beloved Welsh King who lived from 880-950 AD...Google away folks...
and I'm named after an Irish Chieftain so our american friends have royalty in their midst...........................and politically I'm a REPUBLICAN 8)
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Babylon Wales: Chalkie Davies

Post by Seán » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:12 am

absinthe wrote:
Chalkperson wrote:Glen got thrown out by Malcolm because he said publicly that he liked the Beatles, Siouxie and I stayed apart, Pennie Smith always shot her for the NME, I abstained cos I hated her music and because you should not shoot someone who's music you dislike...
Shame. Oh well....but... I'm of a slightly different view about not shooting someone whose music I don't like. I've attended a few concerts where I might have done something terrible to a performer.
But you know what it's like these days, they don't even allow you to take a catapult and bag of tomatoes into the Royal Opera House, let alone a Barrett Light 50 paintball gun.

:D
:lol: Love it.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests