Klemperer's Mahler 2, 4, 7, 9 & Lieder release in October

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Seán

Klemperer's Mahler 2, 4, 7, 9 & Lieder release in October

Post by Seán » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:15 pm

There are some of us who love Klemperer's approach to Mahler's Symphonies. If you do you might be interested in the forthcoming October release on Amazon.fr, it contains the excellent 2 & 9 and the much sought after 7 with the Philharmonia, it's on EMI:

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B005EVV ... d_i=405320
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Re: Klemperer's Mahler 2, 4, 7, 9 & Lieder release in Octobe

Post by stenka razin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Sean, what a fabulous Klemperer Mahler budget 6 CD box. Thank you for the heads up, my friend. Since, I do have Klemp's EMI 'Das Lied von der Erde', #2, #4 and #9, but do not have his EMI #7 on CD, I will definitely want to obtain this box and will give the ones I have duplicated to my children. :D

Regards,
Mel 8)

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Given the price, this looks like an interesting set. Symphoniy No. 2 and Das Lied von der Erde are included in the EMI Complete Works box, but the 9th wasn't, perhaps because it wouldn't fit on a single disc.

His reading of the 7th is not for me, clocking in at approximately 100 minutes. It is definitely a different conception of this work.

John

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:35 pm

I already have everything except the 7th. The Resurrection is one of the truly great performances of that work, monumental and granitic, and with an orgasmic finale. The 9th I was not terribly impressed by, but I got it on a 2 CD set which included Strauss's Metamorphosen and Wagner's Siegfried Idyll. It is one of the best recordings of both works, and, for my money at least, THE greatest performance of the Strauss, which is what I bought it for. I don't think I will be getting this set just for the 7th. I'd like to get it separately if I can.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

arthound

Post by arthound » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm

That's great news Sean - thanks for the heads up. I have been on the lookout for 4, 7 and 9 at a good price.

We sure are living in golden times as far as re-releases go!