Cellist Alisa Weilerstein wins 'Genius' award

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Cellist Alisa Weilerstein wins 'Genius' award

Post by jserraglio » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:37 am

Well deserved. I heard her play at age 11 on a 3/4 size cello -- the Shostokovich Piano Trio No 2. Even back then, it was obvious she was something special and would have a great career

http://www.macfound.org/site/c.lkLXJ8MQ ... rstein.htm

John F

Re: Cellist Alisa Weilerstein wins 'Genius' award

Post by John F » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:15 pm

A good cellist, certainly. A "genius"? I don't see it. But that's not what the MacArthur Foundation calls its own fellowships. If they found the "exceptional creativity" they seek to support in this performer's work, and see the potential for more, that's their call. Personally, I take the word "creativity" literally, and find it more in composers than performers. But I'm always happy when classical musicians and classical music get recognition from outside, and so I'm happy about this too.
John Francis

NancyElla

Post by NancyElla » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:28 pm

I'll be hearing her tonight with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, and I'm looking forward to it.
"This is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great." --Willa Cather

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:02 pm

I am also a longtime fan of her dad, violinist Donald Weilerstein, one of the founding members of the Cleveland Quartet [2nd from left in the pic below] -- their old RCA & Philips LPs sparked my interest in chamber music.

stickles

Post by stickles » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:32 pm

CSO is currently streaming the Dvorak concerto with Weilerstein free of charge. Check it out.
http://cso.org/ListenAndWatch/Details.aspx?id=17644