Favorite recordings of Prokofiev Violin Concertos?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Len_Z

Favorite recordings of Prokofiev Violin Concertos?

Post by Len_Z » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Well, I guess the subject is pretty self-explanatory :)

This esteemed forum has helped me with so many wonderful suggestions in the past, that I'm sure I'll see some very interesting and non obvious choices mentioned here.

Please consider that I am extremely conservative in this particular respect and my favorites are by Oistrakh and Leonid Kogan. But I'd love to widen my horizons, hence - this topic :)

Thanks in advance!

Len

John F

Re: Favorite recordings of Prokofiev Violin Concertos?

Post by John F » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:54 pm

The modern recordings that appeal most to me - well, more or less modern - are by Isaac Stern, Eugene Ormandy, and the Philadelphia Orchestra (not Stern's remake with Zubin Mehta and the NY Phil). This is also among the less expensive options. I also like Maxim Vengerov's recordings with Rostropovich, but as far as I know, they haven't been coupled on a single CD, and you wind up with the Shostakovich concertos as well, at full price. Worth it if your budget allows it.
John Francis

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:33 pm

John F wrote:The modern recordings that appeal most to me - well, more or less modern - are by Isaac Stern, Eugene Ormandy, and the Philadelphia Orchestra (not Stern's remake with Zubin Mehta and the NY Phil). This is also among the less expensive options. I also like Maxim Vengerov's recordings with Rostropovich, but as far as I know, they haven't been coupled on a single CD, and you wind up with the Shostakovich concertos as well, at full price. Worth it if your budget allows it.
Thanks, JF! I've found inexpensive used copies of both Vengerov/Rostropovich CDs on Amazon.com and will order them. Shostakovich Concertos are a big plus, even though I am not a huge fan of Rostropovich as conductor.

Thanks again!

Len

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:27 am

For me, Oistrakh is incomparable in the first concerto but I've never taken to his recording of the 2nd.

I've not really warmed to Vengerov's recordings although they have been widely praised. I find there's something too self conscious in his playing, I'm too aware of the violinist and not the line of the music, purely personal taste, it is wonderful playing!

Vilde Frang is very good in the first concerto and it's coupled with a superb reading for the Sibelius and Dimitri Sitkovetsky's recordings of both works coupled with the 2 Shostakovich concerti are very good and exceptional value.

Mike

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:01 pm

This has been my hands-down favorite since it came out on LP in the 1960's. Stern and Ormandy together make a stunning interpretation, free of gimmicks and in wonderful, spacious sound: one of the best recordings Columbia produced in that period. It's currently available on Amazon for $4 and change: a bargain!

About interpreting Prokofiev: Ormandy's Prokofiev recordings are totally straightforward, based on a long association with the composer (Ormandy led the Western premiere of the Seventh Symphony, as well as various works by Shostakovich, so he knew Russian music inside and out). Prokofiev remarked to Poulenc that he preferred his music without rubato, and that's exactly what Ormandy gives us. If you can find them, Ormandy recorded Symphonies I, IV, V, VI & VII (the latter in the year of its premiere, 1953: the year that both Prokofiev and Stalin died on the same day).

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks again, everybody!

Really appreciate your insight and will definitely give all of the above a try.

Len

Hut

Post by Hut » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:17 pm

For both concertos on a single disc Ms. Chung is quite outstanding, although for the second concerto alone I prefer Mullova: