Masur's Leipzig GHO Mendelssohn Box Set

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Masur's Leipzig GHO Mendelssohn Box Set

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:40 am

Warner Classics, 62769, 5 CDs, DDD

Here's a budget box set featuring Felix Mendelssohn's [1809-1847] own orchestra, the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra in original Teldec recordings in outstanding sound with a conductor, Kurt Masur, who seems to have given the music of Mendelssohn a special priority.

The CD breakdown, ALL with the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, under Kurt Masur's baton:

CD 1 [55:07]
•Symphony No. 1 in C Minor, Op. 11
•Symphony No. 5 in D Major, Op. 107 {"Reformation"}

CD 2 [58:31]
•Symphony No. 2 in B Major, Op. 52 {Lobgesang/Hymn of Praise}
Barbara Bonney, soprano I; Edith Wiens, soprano II
Peter Schreier, tenor
Leipzig Radio Chorus; Michael Schönheit, organist

CD 3 [66:59]
•Symphony No. 3 in A Minor, Op. 56 {Scottish}
•Symphony No. 4 in A Major, Op. 90 {Italian}

CD 4 [48:47]
•Piano Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 25
•Capriccio brillant in B Minor, Op. 22
•Piano Concerto No. 2 in D Minor, Op. 40
Cyrpien Katsaris, piano

CD 5 [63:01]
•A Midsummer Nights Dream w/Op. 21 Overture
Complete Text Version
Edith Wiens, soprano
Christiane Oertel, mezzo-soprano
Friedhelm Eberle, narrator
Leipzig Radio Chorus
Gert Frischmuth, director

Regarding the "Lobgesang" Symphony No. 2, I was a little disappointed with the overall symphony on Decca [475 6939] with Margaret Price, Sally Burgess, and Siegfried Jerusalem with the same Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra only under Riccardo Chailly's direction. Under Masur, it seems to drag a bit. Both sopranos—Wiens and Margaret Price—take on their parts superbly well. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

bigshot

Re: Masur's Leipzig Mendelssoh Box Set

Post by bigshot » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:46 am

Do you know any good modern recordings of Mendelssohn's juvenile String Symphonies. I kind of like those. It would be good to find a reaaly good performance and recording.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:05 am

Ah, like you, I love those Mendelssohn string symphonies, too. Let me do some checking. I have several recordings of them and there may be an outstanding complete set but memory (or lack thereof) doesn't let me mention it at this precise moment. This guy Mendelssohn: QUITE a genius. More and more, I love his work and have over almost six of my seven decades!
bigshot wrote:Do you know any good modern recordings of Mendelssohn's juvenile String Symphonies. I kind of like those. It would be good to find a reaaly good performance and recording.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Masur's Leipzig Mendelssohn Box Set

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:15 am

One recording I have of the complete Mendelssohn string symphonies appears on the BIS label [938/940]. I was very pleased with it. The other complete set you may want to acquire (though it is listed as being out of print now), is RCA [60427, 3 CDs], with Roy Goodman and the Hanover Band, which received rave reviews. I don't have this one myself, but ... who knows, one day I may fetch it. That particular number is the reissue set and it may be easier to locate the original 3-CD RCA edition.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:49 am

Really great recordings of the Symphonies; among the best that I've heard of the 1st and 5th. This was Mendelssohn's orchestra and Masur seems to have a great ear for the composer's idiosyncrasies.
Du sollst schlechte Compositionen weder spielen, noch, wenn du nicht dazu gezwungen bist, sie anhören.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:06 am

bigshot wrote:Do you know any good modern recordings of Mendelssohn's juvenile String Symphonies. I kind of like those. It would be good to find a reaaly good performance and recording.
I would recommend the Concerto Köln recording on TELDEC, it´s superbly well played and the sound quality is state-of-the-art. I think it´s overall preferable to the Hanover Band version in RCA.