Angela Meade in Ernani

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Angela Meade in Ernani

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:15 am

Last night we watched the Ernani telecast from the MET with the stunning Angela Meade in the lead soprano role, Giordano, Horostovsky and Furlanetto. Armaliato conducted with aplomb.

Horostovsky or course sounded wonderful, but the sensational soprano Angela Meade was the star of the evening, for me. It's not a perfect voice: she has a tendency to slightly wild pitches in the middle of her range when she presses, but what a glorious top, with a floating high Eb! She's a great singer and a discovery for me.

What experiences do you have with Angela Meade, in performance or on disc?

josé echenique

Re: Angela Meade in Ernani

Post by josé echenique » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 am

I heard the Ernani broadcast and was impressed, though I would like to hear her in the flesh before a final verdict.
When I first heard Sondra Radvanovsky in her first 2 DELOS cds I was not crazy about her, but after hearing her live it was obvious that DELOS didn´t capture well the glory of her voice. It is a difficult voice to record well, but DG did much better in the Blu Ray MET Trovatore.
The MET is harvesting some sopranos with big potential, because besides Meade and Radvanovsky there´s Latonia Moore who stopped the show in Aida.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:28 pm

maestrob wrote:Last night we watched the Ernani telecast from the MET with the stunning Angela Meade in the lead soprano role, Giordano, Horostovsky and Furlanetto. Armaliato conducted with aplomb.

Horostovsky or course sounded wonderful, but the sensational soprano Angela Meade was the star of the evening, for me. It's not a perfect voice: she has a tendency to slightly wild pitches in the middle of her range when she presses, but what a glorious top, with a floating high Eb! She's a great singer and a discovery for me.

What experiences do you have with Angela Meade, in performance or on disc?

We saw her live this year in maria stuarda-very nice but seeing
Netrobko do it on hd was even more enjoyable for us. Len

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:27 pm

I saw her in Ernani when she replaced the indisposed Radvanovsky, fell in love immediately and have been following her career ever since. Unfortunately, her Norma at Caramoor was a bit disappointing (rather a work in progress than a finished product), but nevertheless I think Angela Meade has got a great potential and one of the most beautiful sopranos around today.

And she does not resort to Netrebko's lowly gimmicks. Does not have to, because she can sing :)