New Elektra with Gergiev Conducting on LSO Live !

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

THEHORN

New Elektra with Gergiev Conducting on LSO Live !

Post by THEHORN » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:52 am

LSO live has finally issued this performance of this devastating masterpiece led by Gergiev , which took place about two years ago .
The cast includes an Elektra who is a new name to me, Anne-Michele Charbonnet , as well as Angela Denoke and Matthias Goerne . It looks very promising. Elektra would be just the kind of opera Gergiev could give a Elektrifying performance of .

8) 8) 8) 8)

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Re: New Elektra with Gergiev Conducting on LSO Live !

Post by stenka razin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:03 pm

Elektra is just about my favorite opera. Gergiev seems like he would be ideal for Strauss' powerful masterpiece. Charbonnet is a wonderful performer, but, her voice would seem to be too small for Elektra. I will have to check this one out. Thank for the heads up. m8.

Regards,
Mel 8)

P.s. My favorite reorded Elektras are Nilsson/Solti and Borkh/Bohm. :D :D :D :D

bricon

Post by bricon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:38 pm

My experience of Gergiev in Strauss has been worse than underwhelming. I saw his Salome with the Kirov in Melbourne about 8 years ago and it was the worst operatic performance that I have ever attended – mostly attributable to the conductor. To be fair I also attended the Kirov’s The Fiery Angel a couple of nights later (again conducted by Gergiev) which was one of the finest night’s at the opera imaginable.

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:47 am

Another reason to consider this new Elektra is that it's one of the few uncut versions ever recorded .
As far as I know, the only other uncut ones are Solti/VPO, Sawallisch /EMI, and the recent Bychkov /Cologne RSO.
Because of the sheer difficulty of the role of Elektra in terms of endurance, the scene with Klytemnestra is usually cut somewhat despite the fact that the opera lasts only about 100 minutes.
Of course, this is not a problem with studio recordings, but the Sinopoli,Barenboim and Boehm versions still oserve them.as well as live recordings . Too bad .