Do you still use CASSETTES?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Wallingford

Do you still use CASSETTES?

Post by Wallingford » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:10 pm

Here's my eighth annual posing of the question. Do you use them.....even HAVE them?

The WalMarts asnd Dollar Tree chains still have them (basic grade normal bias only, at fairly reasonable prices), so someone must still be using them.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

bigshot

Re: Do you still use CASSETTES?

Post by bigshot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:03 pm

I don't record them any more, but I have a big box of them. I use them with a boom box in the garden now.

Ted Quanrud

Post by Ted Quanrud » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Wallingford wrote:Here's my eighth annual posing of the question. Do you use them.....even HAVE them?

The WalMarts asnd Dollar Tree chains still have them (basic grade normal bias only, at fairly reasonable prices), so someone must still be using them.
I'm glad you keep asking the question. It annually reminds me that life is good, that even as the world seems to be falling apart and all is lost, I no longer have to deal with cassettes or reel-to-reel tapes anymore. Neither my top-of-the-line Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck nor the big Tandberg tape deck gave me as much pleasure as my first (circa. 1985) and very basic Harmon Kardon CD player, much less the Oppo that now reigns as queen of the stereo system.

John F

Post by John F » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:29 am

Nope. Never did, really - if tape, then open reel.
John Francis

hangos

Post by hangos » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:53 am

I used to record a lot off FM radio with some very good results, but I didn't buy that many pre-recorded cassettes because many were of poor quality. The advantage of cassettes was that they were smaller and thus more portable than CDs, for use in the car etc.
Sadly, I dumped all mine a couple of years ago (but recycled the plastic cases) and gave the pre-recorded ones to various charity shops
Martin

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:25 am

Wallingford wrote:Here's my eighth annual posing of the question. Do you use them.....even HAVE them?

I still listen to cassettes in my old 1995 Saturn because it has a cassette player. However to record new material it's strictly CD's for me. Recently I got a device where I can copy my cassette music to CD's--it's called the ION Tape Express. I understand there are devices that allow you to copy LP's to CD but I think they cost too much for me. :( Regards, Len

springrite

Post by springrite » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:18 am

Yes, but only because I have a few recordings on them and they have not come out on CD, or they are too expensive on CD. For instance, Noel Lee's recording of Charles Thomlinson Griffes, Carter's Triple Duo (now I have it on CD!), etc. But as the player is about to retire, I think my cassette days will be over soon.
Music starts where words fail.

springrite

Post by springrite » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:18 am

Yes, but only because I have a few recordings on them and they have not come out on CD, or they are too expensive on CD. For instance, Noel Lee's recording of Charles Thomlinson Griffes, Carter's Triple Duo (now I have it on CD!), etc. But as the player is about to retire, I think my cassette days will be over soon.
Music starts where words fail.

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:12 am

I used to love cassettes. Still have a couple, but nothing to play them on.
George

Auntie Lynn

Post by Auntie Lynn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:52 am

I'm guessing you mean cassettes and not eight-track tapes. I downloaded a whole lot of stuff over the years that you can't get any more so I need them for the business...

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:09 am

gperkins151 wrote:I used to love cassettes. Still have a couple, but nothing to play them on.
Yes that was my predicament--that's why I got that ION device--took me a little while to figure out how to use it but I was able to copy some cassettes I really wanted to CD's--cost me $50. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:27 am

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-CC-222SLmk ... sette+deck

Just put this beauty (It transfers cassettes to CDs) on my wishlist: have had it in mind for a while. My old cassette deck has been non-functional for at least a year, so it's about time :!: :wink:

I have about 3-400 cassettes, mostly recorded from radio and Lps in my collection, and I'd really like to transfer them to CDs before the pressure pads go bad (the glue has a tendency to dry out over time). Have some good commercial cassettes as well that were never issued on CD. Angel XDR and RCA .5 were the worst-sounding commercial releases, made for playing in the car where high distortion and low dynamic range didn't matter.

Good cassette decks were capable of sound equivalent to reel-to-reel if one used high-quality tapes. We'll see how they hold up over time......

DSzymborski

Post by DSzymborski » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:49 am

No, my last cassette player died years ago. Luckily, I'm young enough that I didn't have time to accumulate a bunch of cassettes. The ones that weren't released, I transferred to digital files using a USB cassette player.

Right now, I'm still in the process of transitioning past CDs. I've been ripping my discs to FLAC for about a year now and have done about 5,000 of my CDs (I scan booklets, too). I built an 8 TB media server and control my system through a laptop now, which allows me to store all the originals in boxes. Which is a good thing, because music-related mess was a long-term issue for me.
--
Dan Szymborski
DSzymborski@gmail.com

scififan

Post by scififan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:10 pm

I still have a large number of cassettes. Some are really very good and I'm in the process of converting them to a digital format. But I still have an excellent {once top of the line} portable Walkman and the cassettes still sound excellent on it.