les troyens

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

les troyens

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 pm

What a performance! From our HD seats at the 54th st Zigfeld wonderful singing in a wonderful production of a superb opera. Hymel was really strong and graham was in a league of her own-what a weekend of opera! Len

John F

Re: les troyens

Post by John F » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:39 am

Thanks for the report. "What an opera" - you can say that again! If I hadn't been working, I'd have seen the HD transmission myself; maybe I'll catch the encore showing.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:06 am

John F wrote:Thanks for the report. "What an opera" - you can say that again! If I hadn't been working, I'd have seen the HD transmission myself; maybe I'll catch the encore showing.
The camera caught the sea and sky and distant lights perfectly imo-some people thought the sets were too busy but not me! Some critics gave voigt and croft a bad rap imo-okay hymel and graham stole the show. :)

John F

Post by John F » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:28 am

In the performance I saw, Dwayne Croft had a cold as announced beforehand, and every now and then he turned upstage to wipe his nose. Sounded OK nonetheless, but he was probably in better voice on Saturday. I don't think Deborah Voigt is a true dramatic soprano and the right kind of singer for the role, and she lacks the temperament to convey Cassandre's desperation, but the Met doesn't agree with me - she sang Cassandre in 2003 also.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:12 am

John F wrote:In the performance I saw, Dwayne Croft had a cold as announced beforehand, and every now and then he turned upstage to wipe his nose. Sounded OK nonetheless, but he was probably in better voice on Saturday. I don't think Deborah Voigt is a true dramatic soprano and the right kind of singer for the role, and she lacks the temperament to convey Cassandre's desperation, but the Met doesn't agree with me - she sang Cassandre in 2003 also.
I can see your point-I think we saw Jessie Norman doing it many years ago-seemed good to me at the time. Len

John F

Post by John F » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 am

Yes, I think Jessye Norman and even more, Shirley Verrett, were more into the role. Also Petra Lang, who sang it in Colin Davis's concert performance with the London Symphony, though I haven't seen her onstage.
John Francis

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:13 am

Anna Caterina Antonacci is a formidable Cassandra in Gardiner´s Opus Arte dvd of Les Troyens (also opposite to Susan Graham´s exquisite Dido).
I heard the radio broadcast and loved pretty much everything except Voigt´s Cassandra. I am really sad for her, because in her best years she was a truly great singer.

IcedNote

Post by IcedNote » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:45 pm

A couple of my colleagues saw it in NYC over break. They said it was absolutely sensational. Jealous!

-G
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie

Post by Jared » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:59 pm

As I mentioned to Pepe, I was very privileged to get to see this down at the Hereford Courtyard theatre last Saturday night... coming away from the performance, you can certainly see why it is so logistically difficult and expensive to stage, when you are having to juggle the lavish set props, huge cast/ chorus, soloists and the inter-disciplinary nature of using the ballet... it's not surprising that Berlioz wasn't able to see the opera performed in its entirety during his lifetime.

Anyway, I agree Hymel and Graham were wonderful; I'm really growing to love Graham's voice more and more... but I also very much appreciate the concept behind these screenings. For someone new to opera, I'm able to learn a great deal about the discipline from the interviews, and Graham, Didonato, Fleming & Viogt among others, and proving to be very engaging hosts...