rigoletto duke as sinatra/steve martin combo

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
lennygoran
Posts: 15213
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

rigoletto duke as sinatra/steve martin combo

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 am

Yep that's how the director and tenor see the Met's new production of this opera according to their interview at an intermission with DiDonato at the HD troyens-now my wife tells me she wants to see it! Len :(

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: rigoletto duke as sinatra/steve martin combo

Post by John F » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:10 am

Except that both entertainers were Las Vegas headliners, I don't see that this is even relevant to director Michael Mayer's concept, let alone Verdi's opera.
John Francis

josé echenique
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

Re: rigoletto duke as sinatra/steve martin combo

Post by josé echenique » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 am

I wonder if the Duke will get to sing "I get a kick out of you" instead of "La donna é mobile".

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: rigoletto duke as sinatra/steve martin combo

Post by jbuck919 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:12 pm

At least he didn't say John Wayne.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

lennygoran
Posts: 15213
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: rigoletto duke as sinatra/steve martin combo

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:48 pm

josé echenique wrote:I wonder if the Duke will get to sing "I get a kick out of you" instead of "La donna é mobile".
Jose :) :) :) How about Gilda acting a little more like Marilyn Monroe! Let's bring in the TV show the Sopranos! :( Regards, Len

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: rigoletto duke as sinatra/steve martin combo

Post by John F » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:40 pm

That concept has already been used (and used up) by Jonathan Miller, in his infamous Mafia production set in contemporary Little Italy.
John Francis

lennygoran
Posts: 15213
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: rigoletto duke as sinatra/steve martin combo

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:51 am

John F wrote:That concept has already been used (and used up) by Jonathan Miller, in his infamous Mafia production set in contemporary Little Italy.
Sure glad I missed that one! I may not be as lucky this time--Sue wants to see this one. :(

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: rigoletto duke as sinatra/steve martin combo

Post by Jared » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:58 pm

lennygoran wrote:
John F wrote:That concept has already been used (and used up) by Jonathan Miller, in his infamous Mafia production set in contemporary Little Italy.
Sure glad I missed that one! I may not be as lucky this time--Sue wants to see this one. :(
Lenny, if it's any consolation, I also have a ticket, although having recently managed to get through this 'modernisation', I feel I'm ready for anything:

Image

lennygoran
Posts: 15213
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: rigoletto duke as sinatra/steve martin combo

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 am

Jared wrote: Lenny, if it's any consolation, I also have a ticket, although having recently managed to get through this 'modernisation', I feel I'm ready for anything:
Jared we'll have to compare notes--we see it HD style Feb 16 at the NYC Zigfield. Regards, Len

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: rigoletto duke as sinatra/steve martin combo

Post by Jared » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:55 am

lennygoran wrote:
Jared wrote: Lenny, if it's any consolation, I also have a ticket, although having recently managed to get through this 'modernisation', I feel I'm ready for anything:
Jared we'll have to compare notes--we see it HD style Feb 16 at the NYC Zigfield. Regards, Len
^^ that's it... same date as myself, at Hereford Courtyard... :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests