Rubinstein - Solo Works recorded Multiple Times - Faves?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

gperkins151

Rubinstein - Solo Works recorded Multiple Times - Faves?

Post by gperkins151 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:07 am

For each of the solo works that Rubinstein recorded more than once, I am curious which one(s) folks prefer.

Thanks,
George
George

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Rubinstein - Solo Works recorded Multiple Times - Faves?

Post by Lance » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:31 pm

Perhaps my fav pianist. Talked with him, have a nice photo with him and attended many concerts not to mention having all his commercial recordings, and many privately recorded items. I love them all, of course, but I must say his traversal of Beethoven's five piano conceri with Krips conducting remains my favourite of all his Beethoven concerto recordings. Also, his last stereo recordings of the Chopin Nocturnes is exemplary.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

bigshot

Post by bigshot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:57 pm

The greatest performance I've ever heard by Rubinstein is the Moscow concert that has been released on DVD. He was in his 70s, but he wiped the floor with every other pianist who ever played that music. Amazing passion.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:13 am

Agree with Lance about the stereo Chopin Nocturnes, but his mono 1951 recording of Chopin I stands out for me.......

barney

Post by barney » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:58 pm

I think Lance has identified my no. 1 Rubinstein - the 1960s nocturnes. Unsurpassed, unsurpassable. Quite essential in other Chopin repertoire of course, but the nocturnes are one of the glories of recorded music, in my view.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:07 am

As I recall, when the Rubinstein stereo set of the Chopin Nocturnes was released by RCA, it was at the same time the Connoisseur Society issued their set with Ivan Moravec. Both sets got great reviews. Moravec's piano (a German Steinway as I recall) had a slight better tone for my ears, but I have loved both of these sets since their issue on LP and on CD. If you have both of them, you have the best ever recorded IMHO.
barney wrote:I think Lance has identified my no. 1 Rubinstein - the 1960s nocturnes. Unsurpassed, unsurpassable. Quite essential in other Chopin repertoire of course, but the nocturnes are one of the glories of recorded music, in my view.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:02 am

I like Rubinstein's two earlier sets of Nocturnes a lot more than his later stereo set. Same with his Mazuras and Polonaises. On the other hand, I like his stereo Fantasiestucke more than his earlier one.
George

Guitarist

Post by Guitarist » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:07 pm

I own only one Rubinstein recording, the SACD re-issue of the Chopin Ballades and Scherzos--sounds great--both the playing and the sound.

bigshot

Post by bigshot » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:01 pm

The thing about later Rubinstein is that it is only inferior in comparison with earlier Rubinstein. The later recordings are still spectacular and passionate... just a little bit more regal.

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:57 am

I compared the 1953 and 1963 Carnaval recordings this morning and for me, the 1953 is a clear winner. I also compared the 1949 and 1962 Fantasiestucke recordings. These were a much closer call. I think I prefer the sound and directness of the 1949, but the 1962 has a dreamy quality that I really like.
George