verdi otello ballet music

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

verdi otello ballet music

Post by lennygoran » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:35 am

Just heard about Verdi's Otello having ballet music--thank goodness I never saw a performance with it--imo who needs it--just listened to it for the first time here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho_vJEFrv7k

Definitely heard references to Aida and MacBeth--I even thought I heard some Falstaff although
Falstaff came after Otello. Regards, Len :)

John F

Re: verdi otello ballet music

Post by John F » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:57 am

Verdi composed the ballet music for Paris, where every opera was required to have a ballet. Even Wagner added a bacchanale in the first act of "Tannhäuser" for the Paris production. I don't know if the "Otello" ballabile has ever been included in a performance of the opera since 19th century Paris; it certainly shouldn't be!
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:41 pm

John F wrote:Verdi composed the ballet music for Paris, where every opera was required to have a ballet. Even Wagner added a bacchanale in the first act of "Tannhäuser" for the Paris production. I don't know if the "Otello" ballabile has ever been included in a performance of the opera since 19th century Paris; it certainly shouldn't be!
Thanks for the confirmation! Regards, Len

Auntie Lynn

Post by Auntie Lynn » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Alors, mes amis, as Mr. Balanchine said "You could dance the Verdi operas from beginning to end." Ballo della Regina from Don Carlo was one of his big numbers; Smuin's QaV - the ballet music from Vespri was done at the White House years ago by the troupe of superb locals... And yes, I know you're dying to know - I play all this stuff all the time - it's really off-the-ground...

John F

Post by John F » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Yes, Verdi's ballet music is sometimes done by ballet companies. Even the Metropolitan Opera did a potpourri it called "Vittorio," performed by the resident ballet and its choreographer Zachary Solov. It was a curtain-raiser for Strauss's "Salome," then considered too short to be the evening's only entertainment, and it was the first music Dimitri Mitropoulos conducted at the Met. It was given 6 times in 1954-5 and then dropped; weak Verdi danced by a weak ballet troupe didn't add up to much.
John Francis

IN278S

Post by IN278S » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:42 pm

I don't have a problem with the Otello ballet music, so long as it's done as a concert piece (as Toscanini did) and not in a performance of Otello. I never saw the Zeffirelli film (with Domingo and Ricciarelli) after learning that he not only included the ballet music, but far worse, omitted the Willow Song entirely! (I did hear the CD version, which does not go for such nonsense.)