Four Saints in Three Acts

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
lennygoran
Posts: 13948
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Four Saints in Three Acts

Post by lennygoran » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 am

Just got a flyer for this opera to be performed in Boston--they offered me a discount and wanted to know if I could underwrite the performance--hadn't known about the performance and it's too late for us to go to Boston now on Nov 16--we have other plans--probably would have passed on it anyway because it's a concert performance--it's at Jordan Hall. I'd like very much to see this opera sometime but as a full production.

http://www.bmop.org/season-tickets/four ... three-acts

Regards, Len

John F
Posts: 19841
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Four Saints in Three Acts

Post by John F » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:59 am

You missed your chance - the Lincoln Center Festival brought in the Houston Grand Opera production in 1996. A brilliant Robert Wilson production, perfect for this work with libretto by Gertrude Stein ("Pigeons on the grass alas"), the first of Wilson's work I'd seen and quite different from his blue-and-white "Lohengrin" at the Met.
John Francis

lennygoran
Posts: 13948
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Four Saints in Three Acts

Post by lennygoran » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:06 am

John F wrote:You missed your chance - the Lincoln Center Festival brought in the Houston Grand Opera production in 1996. A brilliant Robert Wilson production, perfect for this work with libretto by Gertrude Stein ("Pigeons on the grass alas"), the first of Wilson's work I'd seen and quite different from his blue-and-white "Lohengrin" at the Met.
Yeah we sure did--1996 was not a year we were doing much opera--we had gotten out of going to operas after we gave up our Met and NYCO subscriptions back in the late 1980's and didn't get back into it until after 1999--we sure missed alot. Regards, Len :(

some guy
Modern Music Specialist
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:00 am
Location: portland, or
Contact:

Re: Four Saints in Three Acts

Post by some guy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 pm

I love this piece.

So much so that I have found myself forgiving Virgil for a lot of things, including The Mother of Us All.

(I consider Ms. Stein to be my literary mom, just by the way. In case anyone's interested. :D )
"The public has got to stay in touch with the music of its time . . . for otherwise people will gradually come to mistrust music claimed to be the best."
--Viennese critic (1843)

Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not understood.
--Henry Miller

lennygoran
Posts: 13948
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Four Saints in Three Acts

Post by lennygoran » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:05 pm

some guy wrote: (I consider Ms. Stein to be my literary mom, just by the way. In case anyone's interested. :D )
Maybe I should make her my garden mom-Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose. Regards, Len :)

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26776
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Four Saints in Three Acts

Post by jbuck919 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:42 pm

lennygoran wrote:
some guy wrote: (I consider Ms. Stein to be my literary mom, just by the way. In case anyone's interested. :D )
Maybe I should make her my garden mom-Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose. Regards, Len :)
Ms. Stein might influence you to create a rock garden.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

lennygoran
Posts: 13948
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Four Saints in Three Acts

Post by lennygoran » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:32 pm

jbuck919 wrote:
Ms. Stein might influence you to create a rock garden.
She'd be proud--our garden is loaded with rocks--not that I always like them! Regards, Len :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests