Michael Davidman, Pianist

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Donald Isler

Michael Davidman, Pianist

Post by Donald Isler » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:03 pm

These are some videos of performances by 16 year old pianist, Michael Davidman. His teacher for quite some years has been Efrem Briskin, a friend and colleague of mine for over 30 years, who now teaches at the Manhattan School of Music. It is not surprising to see such fine results from a teacher like Efrem, a graduate of the St. Petersburg Conservatory in Russia, who was praised for his own performances at Merkin Hall, in New York, and many other places.

Apparently these are works Michael has learned and started to perform only very recently. I like his big technique, understanding of Romantic style, and willingness to take a risk, and not play "carefully." Although I think he already plays these difficult works very well, I anticipate he will "grow into them" even more with time.

I always find it a happy experience to hear such talent, and accomplishment at such a young age.

Donald Isler

(Verdi-Liszt) – “Concert Paraphrase on Rigoletto”, S.434

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db9MwCoWPm8

(Gounod-Liszt) – “Waltz from Faust, Concert Paraphrase”, S.407

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICYXJVk7oK0

(Donizetti-Liszt) - “Reminiscences de Lucia di Lamermoor”, S.397

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oyRIZeSZ-A
Donald Isler

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Michael Davidman, Pianist

Post by Lance » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:09 am

We just presented Michael Davidman for Classical Pianists of the Future's fundraising concert on October 12, 2013. When Davidman performed for us the first time, we learned of his interest in opera (he performed at the opera house for us) and we had the idea to put together a concert where Davidman not only played several opera transcriptions (all by Liszt), but also accompanied up to six singers in various operatic selections such as the Rigoletto Quartet, the Sextet from Lucia, all of which brought the house down. We have become friendly with the Davidman family and they were delighted BOTH times Michael played to come to Binghamton and realize what a great cultural area we have! Naturally, I not only prepared the Steinway concert grand, but recorded the entire concert. I expect to play excerpts from the live concert on my radio broadcast, Music and the Artist sometime soon. I'll keep you posted. Davidman is, indeed, a genius and assuredly will have a golden career.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]