Spanish pianist facing charges for practice noise

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Ricordanza

Spanish pianist facing charges for practice noise

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:56 am

Perhaps we should start a legal defense fund for this beleaguered musician?
GIRONA, Spain, Nov. 13 (UPI) -- A Spanish pianist whose neighbor complained about her practice schedule is facing charges for acoustic contamination.
The musician, identified as Laia M., a young professional pianist who lived with her parents during the 2003-2007 period of the complaint, could face 7 1/2 years of jail time if she is convicted of acoustic contamination and causing psychological damage, The Local.es reported Wednesday.

She could also face a four-year ban on playing any musical instruments and a $13,400 fine.

The woman's parents are facing the same charges.

The pianist's former neighbor, identified in court documents as Sonia M., told authorities the musician and her family refused to reduce her 40-hour-a-week practice schedule -- eight hours a day, five days a week -- during the 2003-07 period and her family was eventually forced to move to escape the noise and the anxiety issues it caused, El Pais reported.

Defense lawyers said the prosecution is exaggerating Laia's practice regimen and the musician and her family took steps to curb the noise, including soundproofing the walls of the practice room and the piano itself.

The trial, which began Monday, is expected to last four days, El Pais said.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2013/11/13/ ... z2kogQ4600

John F

Re: Spanish pianist facing charges for practice noise

Post by John F » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:01 am

So it took the neighbor six years to get around to filing suit? That kind of undercuts the complaint, I'd say. The time to sue would have been when this was supposedly going on.
John Francis

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:07 pm

John F wrote:So it took the neighbor six years to get around to filing suit? That kind of undercuts the complaint, I'd say. The time to sue would have been when this was supposedly going on.
The time delay is indeed strange. But from the description in this article, it sounds like a criminal case, not a civil suit! And a four-day trial no less! Even if she is acquitted, her legal bill will be substantial (even in Spain).

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:06 am

Thankfully, she was acquitted. As this article makes clear, this was a criminal case--she was facing serious jail time!

http://www.scena.org/brand/brand.asp?la ... ution.html

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:21 am

...And I thought my neighbours were loud!

In all seriousness, interesting case; I'm glad that the young pianist was acquitted.

I can understand on the one hand how this type of "acoustic contamination" (wonderful legal term, eh?) could drive someone bonkers and I assume that the neighbours had tried to settle this with the family using non-legal means well before the case. Nevertheless, I do find it odd that this went on for so long -- according to my experience, I would assume that either one party would've gotten fed up enough to try and have the landlord/police solve the situation or the other party would've been forced into finding a new practice space for reasons of maintaining domestic sanity. This just sounds like a case of very strange neighbourly conditions.
Du sollst schlechte Compositionen weder spielen, noch, wenn du nicht dazu gezwungen bist, sie anhören.