New "Icon" sets

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Ted Quanrud

New "Icon" sets

Post by Ted Quanrud » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Warner Classics, the new proprietor of what was EMI, has announced three new “Icon” sets for release in April:

Sir Malcolm Sargent 18 CDs
Annie Fischer 8 CDs
Janos Starker 9 CDs

Although these sets may well have been already in the pipeline when Warner acquired EMI, I hope this is an indication that the new owners will continue the series. I have most of the Icons, and will be happy to acquire the Annie Fischer and Janos Starker boxes. I’m not too sure about 18 CDs worth of “Flash Harry,” but have a hunch it will end up on my shelf.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: New "Icon" sets

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:58 am

I'm with you, Ted. I eagerly look forward to, especially, the Malcolm Sargent set. Fabulous conductor, highly underrated, and these days almost forgotten. I probably have most if not all of the Starker and Annie Fischer material but Warner/Icon may give us some surprises! I, like you, hope the series continues. What other artist(s) would you like to see come forth on Warner Icon?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:27 pm

Lance wrote:I'm with you, Ted. I eagerly look forward to, especially, the Malcolm Sargent set. Fabulous conductor, highly underrated, and these days almost forgotten. I probably have most if not all of the Starker and Annie Fischer material but Warner/Icon may give us some surprises! I, like you, hope the series continues. What other artist(s) would you like to see come forth on Warner Icon?
I agree with Lance concerning the under appreciated Sargent. I look for ward to the Icon box.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Sir Malcolm in college many, many years ago and found him to be a very nice gentleman and a Sibelius lover. I saw him rehearse and conduct Sibelius' 1st Symphony and it was a powerful reading. He also conducted Delius and I have never forgotten the interview, rehearsal or the concert.

Regards,
Mel 8)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Strange ... i really miss typing the "EMI" name. It has been such a huge part of my life. I've got more EMI product than any other label. Once called "the greatest recording organization in the world!" Really true.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:24 pm

Any idea of what will be included in the Starker set that wasn't included in the French EMI Introuvables set?

John

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:58 pm

I tried checking the Warner Classics web site to no avail. Only the announcement of these forthcoming Icons. I'm curious about all of them, but I would also bet a nickel that all the material in the Introuvables set will be included in the Icon for Starker ... such a fabulous musician.

Regarding ANNIE FISCHER, no doubt all that was in the EMI "Profile" 2-CD set will be included: Schubert B-flat Op. Posth. Sonata; some Beethoven sonatas; the Schumann Fantasy in C plus encores. And surely if not all then some of the Mozart piano concertos she did with Sawallisch, Kurtz and Boult will be included; probably the Schumann Piano Concerto with Klemperer; Schumann Kinderszenen, Kreisleriana, two Schubert Impromptus; the Bartók Piano Concerto #3 with Markevich. That would, I'm sure, fill all the CDs in the Icon box. EMI did record quite a number of Beethoven piano sonatas [8, 14, 32 for example].

Still, it's the SARGENT box that piques my interest the most. I am VERY anxious to know what's in that.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief