Welser-Most Resigns from Vienna State Opera

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F

Re: Welser-Most Resigns from Vienna State Opera

Post by John F » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:02 pm

I believe it's generally true that while an opera company's music director may be consulted about casting and conductors (other than in his own performances), these are the responsibility of the artistic director, or if there is one, the managing director. From what Welser-Möst is quoted as saying, he believes either that he should have more authority in these matters than has been given to him, or else that artistic director Dominique Meyer is doing a bad job. I haven't followed the State Opera at all closely and have no opinion about Meyer's work, so I don't know what to think about Welser-Möst's action.

It's been a long time since a conductor has wielded much power at the State Opera, though that used to be the normal order of things. Meyer's predecessor Ioan Holender didn't bother to appoint an artistic director and did without a music director for 10 years, finally appointing Seiji Ozawa who conducted his performances (when his health allowed) and did little else.
John Francis

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Welser-Most was scheduled to conduct Janacek's Cunning Vixen, Verdi's La Traviata and Rigoletto, Richard Strauss' Joseph's Legend and Elektra and Hindemith's Cardillac. His first appearance was to be in November. Does this sound like the schedule of the Music Director?

Simon Rattle will be conducting a Ring cycle.

John

John F

Post by John F » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:16 am

I believe most of those are new productions, or productions he conducted when they were new, so yes, why not? Welser-Möst also conducted the premiere of the State Opera's current Ring cycle. Who knows, maybe assigning this revival to Simon Rattle was one of Welser-Möst's grievances against Meyer, for some reason.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:20 am

Too bad. I like FWM in opera and choral works. Could the Met be in the works if James Levine has to retire?

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:36 am

CharmNewton wrote:Richard Strauss' Joseph's Legend
I never even heard of this? I'm listening to the music now and it sounds quite pleasant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephslegende

Regards, Len