Lance's programs 11/18/25 Oct. 2014: Carlo Maria Giulini

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Lance's programs 11/18/25 Oct. 2014: Carlo Maria Giulini

Post by Lance » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:02 pm

CARLO MARIA GIULINI, CONDUCTOR
A TRIBUTE IN THREE PARTS

It has been almost a decade since the passing of Italian conductor CARLO MARIA GIULINI, born in in Italy on May 9th, 1914 and died there on June 14th, 2014 at the age of 91. Considered by many to be one of the most illustrious non-showman-type conductors of the most recent twentieth century with a career spanning some 54 years. It was only after the passing of his wife, Marcella, in 1995 that the conductor largely disassoicated himself with music as his wife's death broke his heart.

Giulini studied the violin and viola and performed in this capacity with among some of the most celebrated conductors of his time. Among them, his favourite was Bruno Walter, whom he noted had a gift for making every musician feel important. That characteristic followed Giulini wherever he conducted. Giulini was associated with among the world's finest orchestras, including the Vienna Philharmonic, Vienna Symphony, London Philharmonic, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Philharmonia Orchestra and the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the latter two of whom were especially close to his heart. Giulini's recordings appeared on all the major labels, including EMI (now Warner Classics), Sony Classical, Deutsche Grammophon, Decca/London, Testament (through licensing by EMI), RCA, and many independent labels such as BBC Legends and others that captured his life performances. Also, Giulini collaborated with major instrumentalists and singers throughout his career, some of whom will be heard on these broadcasts.

The importance of Giulini as one of the most outstanding conductors of the twentieth century cannot be denied. In that end, to do at least some justice to his wide ranging work, especially in music from the Classical- and Romantic periods in music. While Giulini didn't perform/record a great deal of Baroque music, there was some extraordinary examples, such as Bach's Mass in B Minor, and works by Boccherini and Vivaldi. Given the importance of the conductor, I deemed it necessary to dedicate three programs to his memory, which hardly scratches the surface of his recorded output.

The Programs

Saturday, October 11th, 2014

• Boccherini: Overture in D Major w/Philharmonia Orchestra (r.1959)
• Brahms: Symphony #4 in E Minor, Op. 98 w/Chicago Symphony orchestra (r.1969)

Saturday, October 18th, 2014

• Vivaldi: Credo in E Minor w/Ernst-Senff Chorus, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (r.1991)
• Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Minor, Op. 21 w/Artur Rubinstein, piano; Philharmonia Orchestra (r. live 1961, England)
• Ravel: Alborada del grazioso, No. 4 from Miroirs w/Philharmonia Orchestra-London (r.1959)

Saturday, October 25th, 2014

• Mozart (attributed): Sinfonia Concertante for Winds & Orchestra in E-flat Major w/oboist Ray Still, clarinetist Clark Brody, bassoonist Willard Elliot, and hornist Dale Clevenger w/Chicago Symphony Orchestra (r. live, Chicago 1977)
• Franck: Symphonic Variations in F-sharp Minor w/Paul Crossley, piano; Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (r. live, Vienna 1993)

There is SO MUCH that Giulini did on a wide variety of prestigious labels (and independent labels) that I could have two months of programs, included opera and oratorio, but three hours dedicated to Giulini doesn't even scratch the surface. I don't like to stretch a "series" of broadcasts to more than three weeks but I must admit I like that idea more and more since I can give better and more complete overviews of an artist's work. You will be seeing more "stretched" artists in the future. Something new I am trying, and I hope you enjoy it.

The program is heard weekly on the Internet at 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. EASTERN time on this link:

http://wpel.streamon.fm/
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]