Anatol Ugorski, pianist

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Anatol Ugorski, pianist

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:37 pm

Deutsche Grammophon CD 435 881
Beethoven Program
•Sonata No. 32 in C Minor, Op. 111
•6 Bagatelles, Op. 126
•Bagatelle: Für Elise in A Minor, WoO 59
•Rondo a capriccio in G Major, Op. 129 (Rage Over a Lost Penny)
ANTON UGORSKI, piano

Released in 1992, my copy has a bad non-trackable flaw on track 2, the second movement of the Op. 111. If you have it, would you consider making a copy of it for me?

MOST APPRECIATED - trust me!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Ted Quanrud

Anatol Ugorski, pianist

Post by Ted Quanrud » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:35 am

Hi Lance --

Check out Archiv Music at http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Dri ... mp_id=3127

Lance
Site Administrator

Anatol Ugorski, pianist

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks Ted. I did just that - and ordered a copy. I've had some "remakes" from them that didn't track well, but they made good on it for me. Nice to have a 'copy' service such as Arkiv.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Anatol Ugorski, pianist

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:32 pm

I'm thinking of doing a radio broadcast (or two) on pianist Anatol Ugorski who has made a number of recordings for Deutsche Grammophon, most of which have been deleted.

His recording of Beethoven's Sonata in C Minor, Op. 111 has had some reviews really bashing the pianist, mostly because of his tempos. Indeed, they are slower than usual, but the second movement of the Op. 111 is remarkably in what he does to bring out inner voices that are frequently passed by other pianists. I was actually immersed so deeply, I know exactly what the piano is doing with this piece. He has my blessing with this wonderful last sonata of Beethoven. [In contrast, the man does not lack for finger articulation, or tempo problems, if one also listens to the Rage Over the Last Penny Rondo that appears on the same disc.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Guitarist

Anatol Ugorski, pianist

Post by Guitarist » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:05 am

The "real" recording is still available for a realistic price:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-S ... +beethoven

Lance
Site Administrator

Anatol Ugorski, pianist

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:55 pm

I got the Archiv copy and it is 99% as close to an original release as I've seen ... even the printing on the actual CD is replicated. The booklet looks like an original in every sense. The "real" one you refer to was not available at the time I was seeking a replacement for a defective (used) copy I had that had fine scratches that could not be read in the CD player.

I have become rather entranced with Urgoski's playing and don't have an explanation why I didn't become involved with his DGG recordings long before now, especially being a pianist aficionado all my life. In DGG's original Chopin Edition, Volume 5 [463 060, 2 CDs] has Ugorski playing a lot of opus posthumous recordings of Chopin's works, particularly Polonaises that are not heard frequently. His playing is ravishingly beautiful and he has a technical command of the keyboard with huge varieties of colours that are immediately apparent. What I notice in his recordings is the wonderful pianos he uses that cover the entire range in stunning, clear, bright (but never strident) sound.

Apparently Ugorski's contract with DGG came to an end some years ago, which is a great pity. His most recent recording appears on the German EBS label [6125] wherein he plays Bach's 2-Piano Concerto in C Minor, BWV 1060 and Mozart's Piano Concerto in E-flat Major, K365, and Shostakovich's Concertino for Two Pianos, Op. 94 with his daughter, Dina Ugorskaja originally released in 2004.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Guitarist

Re: Anatol Ugorski, pianist

Post by Guitarist » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:37 am

Has anyone heard his Scriabin Sonatas disc? Some of the timings indicate slow tempos, but that worked for Beethoven's Op.111.

Hideous cover!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:05 pm

I thought about getting this ... it's one of the few recordings of his I don't have. Not sure if I want this one, but I did go for his DGG/Trio set of a major Messiaen work, whose compositions are growing on me. You're right, it's a terrible cover, not very complimentary to him.
Guitarist wrote:Has anyone heard his Scriabin Sonatas disc? Some of the timings indicate slow tempos, but that worked for Beethoven's Op.111.

Hideous cover!

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Guitarist

Post by Guitarist » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:10 pm

I went ahead and ordered it--$22 is not a deal breaker! I'm sure there will be some very insightful, if rather slow, playing. I've read generally good reviews. I guess he basically replaces surface sparkle with depth and profundity--sounds good to me! That Messiaen disc is fantastic. I'm not normally a fan of his work, but Ugorski made me a believer!

Guitarist

Post by Guitarist » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:03 am

Ugorski's Scriabin set arrived today. I was a little concerned by the timings listed, but in reality they work out just fine! Slightly slower tempos allow him to bring out all sorts of interesting details, as well as play with greater intensity. And believe me, he doesn't lack virtuosity. Marc-Andre Hamelin is more cautious and less imaginative. Excellent sound--clearly a studio rather than a hall setting, but it deals with Ugorski's huge dynamic range very well.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:47 pm

I got mine, too, but haven't had a chance to hear it yet. Glad you are pleasantly surprised.
Guitarist wrote:Ugorski's Scriabin set arrived today. I was a little concerned by the timings listed, but in reality they work out just fine! Slightly slower tempos allow him to bring out all sorts of interesting details, as well as play with greater intensity. And believe me, he doesn't lack virtuosity. Marc-Andre Hamelin is more cautious and less imaginative. Excellent sound--clearly a studio rather than a hall setting, but it deals with Ugorski's huge dynamic range very well.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:05 pm

Any other CMGer know of Ugorski's work at all?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:22 am

I am amazed that this thread got so many hits but few responses. I wonder why? Is Ugorski now a forgotten pianist? He shouldn't be. The man speaks volumes (in interpretation) in his recordings. I've already had a number of very positive comments about this Beethoven #32 in C Minor, Op. 111, which was severely criticized for the second movement's tempos, but from a personal standpoint, there was much to gain, introspectively, in his performance. It would take a real artist to have that tempo and yet never lose the momentum of the music. A sterling performance of the Op. 111 in my view.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Guitarist

Post by Guitarist » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:30 am

I just ordered his "Pictures at an Exhibition" and "Petrushka" disc on DG--have his "Diabelli Variations" on my Amazon Want List. I also own his Messiaen, Brahms, and Beethoven Sonata No.32 releases and thoroughly enjoy them.

I guess he just isn't that well known. I like his playing very much, especially on the recent Scriabin set. He definitely gets mixed reviews, so anyone who is so polarizing must be doing something right! He doesn't seem willful--just being different for different's sake--he seems play with great conviction. It's a shame that DG let him go.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:55 am

Indeed, it is a shame DGG didn't keep him on their pianists roster. Sometimes it takes a long period of time to realize the true value of an artist, who conceives of interpretations so differently from the "norm," whatever that may be. I now have all the DGG recordings he made. There is one more on the German EBS label of the Bach Double Concerto, BWV 1060 and the Mozart Two-Piano Concerto wherein Ugorski performs with his daughter. I used it on my second broadcast. His daughter, Dina, is also making recordings. I have her Op. 111 on order just to compare it with her father ... keeping it all in the family, of course. It will be interesting to see how differently she plays it from her father's rendition. What happens is that some of these artists become "cult" artists. I didn't know the man's work but discovered much of his Chopin in DGG's complete piano edition (the first edition). I was enthralled, to say the least.
Guitarist wrote:I just ordered his "Pictures at an Exhibition" and "Petrushka" disc on DG--have his "Diabelli Variations" on my Amazon Want List. I also own his Messiaen, Brahms, and Beethoven Sonata No.32 releases and thoroughly enjoy them.

I guess he just isn't that well known. I like his playing very much, especially on the recent Scriabin set. He definitely gets mixed reviews, so anyone who is so polarizing must be doing something right! He doesn't seem willful--just being different for different's sake--he seems play with great conviction. It's a shame that DG let him go.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief