Nikolai Demidenko

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

arepo

Nikolai Demidenko

Post by arepo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:13 pm

I've collected just about everything this great Russian pianist has recorded and admire his many skills immensely.

I've never had the opportunity to hear him in a live performance and wonder if he's ever played in the U.S.?

I'd certainly go out of my way to hear him.

Thoughts about him?

cliftwood

barney

Re: Nikolai Demidenko

Post by barney » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:28 pm

He's a very fine pianist. He's been in Melbourne twice recently, 2011 and 2013 (latter doing Tchaikovsky 1, former Liszt recital), at least that I went to. I seem to remember I missed another. If he comes to Oz, I'm sure he must go to the USA.

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 pm

Here's a review I wrote about him for CMG in 2013.

Nikolai Demidenko Recital
15th International Keyboard Institute and Festival at Mannes College
New York City
July 16th, 2013

Medtner: Canzona Serenata in F Minor, Op. 38, No. 6
Medtner: Sonata Reminiscenza in A Minor, Op. 38, No. 1
Rachmaninoff: Variations on a Theme of Corelli, Op. 42
Chopin: Berceuse, Op. 57
Chopin: Polonaise-Fantasie in A-Flat Major, Op. 61
Chopin: Sonata No. 2 in B-Flat Minor, Op. 35

It's a wonderful thing when a recital begins with two works played so beautifully that you'll be content if you never hear them done any better. Nikolai Demidenko, a tall, thin gentleman in his fifties with a beard, and a professorial demeanor lives and breathes these works of Medtner with such naturalness that everything seems exactly as it should be. He plays with ease (he never seems to struggle with the instrument), produces a warm and gorgeous tone, and conveys the Russian wistfulness, poignancy and every other emotion inherent in this music.

The Corelli Variations of Rachmaninoff were played a bit slower than one might hear them in other performances. This seemed to be a rather "classical" performance of a great Romantic work, rhythmically rather straight, and having great clarity, yet finding interesting elements on which to focus, such as the play between two voices in one of the earlier variations, a sense of brooding in another, and great swells of sound in a third.

In the Berceuse of Chopin I was reminded of something I had been less consciously aware of in the Medtner. Which is that in successful performances of the music of either, and especially Chopin, there is a poetry to the beat, a uniting of rubato with the basic pulse, so that the beat is neither a chaos nor a prosaic "ein, zwei, drei." The real challenge of the Berceuse is not playing the fast filigree passages, which anyone who is now a pianist can easily do, but in finding a pacing which is natural and convincing. This Mr. Demidenko did wonderfully. That he found other lovely details to emphasize, such as little bells when playing A-Flats and C-Flats on the last page, added to the magical, almost weightless effect.

The Polonaise-Fantasie, which Mr. Demidenko chose to play immediately after the Berceuse, without a pause, received a strong performance with many shadings, and a feeling of spontaneity in the quasi-recitative sections. The B Major middle section received a spacious, stately reading.

The B-Flat Minor Sonata reminded one what a fine Romantic as well as individual pianist Mr. Demidenko is. He is not trying to out-horowitz Horowitz. Which is refreshing. His tempi for the first two movements were a bit slower than that of other pianists, but perfectly convincing for this listener, full of deep feeling, beautiful tone and natural flow. The Funeral March had some interesting effects. Mr. Demidenko chose to lean on fourth beats, perhaps to shove on into the next measure. And in the D-Flat middle section, instead of using lots of pedal, and playing the left hand as an accompaniment to the right, he played the two hands rather as a duet, using hardly any pedal. In the last movement, perhaps the strangest, most abstract piece Chopin ever wrote, Mr. Demidenko stayed within a fairly narrow frame of volume but succeeded in giving shape to something which seems almost formless.

Warmly received by the audience, Mr. Demidenko played two encores. He first gave an absolutely smashing (though with beautiful tone) reading of Medtner's B Minor Fairy Tale, Op. 20, No. 2, and then played a surprisingly perky performance of the Bach/Busoni Wachet Auf.

Donald Isler
Donald Isler

arepo

Post by arepo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:55 am

Donald..

I very much appreciate that beautifully written review.

I had no idea how I missed Demidenko's recital in NY city in 2103 and I vow to read my Sunday Times more carefully in the future, should he ever return again.

Clearly, you admire this great artist.

Best regards,

cliftwood

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:18 pm

These two discs above exemplify Demidenko's masterful playing, and represent some of the finest Bach in my collection, easily comparable to Richter.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:29 pm

This is a personal favorite of mine, his Medtner concertos are superb too.

Guitarist

Post by Guitarist » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm

I saw him several years ago in San Francisco--he was electrifying! The first half was Bach, Liszt, Bach-Liszt. The second half included Schumann's Sonata No.2 and probably another piece that escapes me!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:18 pm

I've got at least 24 of Demidenko's CDs - love them all! There is a rather elusive one on ASV [4006] where he performs the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata with Leonid Gorohkov - outstanding!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]