Pianist-composer John McCabe dies, age 75

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Pianist-composer John McCabe dies, age 75

Post by jserraglio » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:27 am

SONNET CLV

Re: Pianist-composer John McCabe dies, age 75

Post by SONNET CLV » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:57 pm

Sad news.

McCabe's Haydn sonatas have proved a worthy addition to my Haydn collection since it was reissued in a box format sometime in the mid '90s.

A personal favorite of mine of McCabe's own music is the EMI CLASSICS release 5 67120 2 featuring three stunning works: The Chagall Windows, Notturni ed alba, and the thorny but remarkably beautiful Symphony No. 2. The performances are by the Halle Orchestra under James Loughran and the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra under Louis Fremaux. It was the disc I turned to upon hearing of McCabe's death. Fortunately this music lives on.

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:28 pm

A wonderful composer. So sad. Listen to his one movement 7th Symphony conducted by Vasily Petrenko and enjoy, my fellow CMGers. :cry:

Regards,
Mel 8)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:17 am

You know, I don't really have anything of McCabe on CD, though there were a few LPs as I recall. Plus, I don't really know that much about his pianistic art. I was interested in getting his Decca set of the complete Haydn sonatas, but I already have one complete edition with Buchbinder, and many recordings of the sonatas individually (including those made lately by Hamelin). There is a Naxos disc of McCabe's compositions that I'm thinking of getting. Speaking of Haydn piano sonatas, I was extremely impressed by those performed by Emanuel Ax and released on Sony Classical. And also those recorded by Sviatoslav Richter.

How would piano aficionados rate John McCabe as a performing artist?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:32 pm

I heard this on ABC Classic FM and was impressed enough to move it to my Amazon 'wish list'. It has languished there, but the time for making more purchases is coming soon. I was deterred by the over $20 price for a single CD.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:13 pm

Yes - Dutton CDs seem to be priced high. However, Michael Dutton does a superior job in remastering and presenting his CDs, even his original recordings. I have most of Dutton's historical series and was shocked to see that his issue on Wanda Landowska [Dutton 9738] and is going on Amazon for between $320 and $410/USD. Can you imagine for a disc that originally could be had for around $10/USD? His transfers of this material were the best I've ever heard. I guess the old saying that "get it when you first see" it stands true in many cases.

If you get the John McCabe Dutton disc, please let me know how it is.
slofstra wrote:I heard this on ABC Classic FM and was impressed enough to move it to my Amazon 'wish list'. It has languished there, but the time for making more purchases is coming soon. I was deterred by the over $20 price for a single CD.

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Lance wrote:Yes - Dutton CDs seem to be priced high. However, Michael Dutton does a superior job in remastering and presenting his CDs, even his original recordings. I have most of Dutton's historical series and was shocked to see that his issue on Wanda Landowska [Dutton 9738] and is going on Amazon for between $320 and $410/USD. Can you imagine for a disc that originally could be had for around $10/USD? His transfers of this material were the best I've ever heard. I guess the old saying that "get it when you first see" it stands true in many cases.

If you get the John McCabe Dutton disc, please let me know how it is.
slofstra wrote:I heard this on ABC Classic FM and was impressed enough to move it to my Amazon 'wish list'. It has languished there, but the time for making more purchases is coming soon. I was deterred by the over $20 price for a single CD.

It's a bug in amazon's programmed pricing. Let's watch this for a few weeks (if we remember).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 594&sr=8-1

Right now (18 Feb 2015) the prices are as follows:
orangeskymusic $320.00
the_book_community $410.02
Serendipity UnLtd $410.06

What will happen is that the price will slowly go up. Let's check again in a week.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:46 pm

If you think that is something would you pay over $2700 for a Pachelbel CD with some other bleeding chunks.

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Clas ... B000JRYNWA

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:52 pm

No, I would NEVER pay $2,800 for ANY recording (even that one, which has no interest to me and probably nobody else), even if I was a millionaire/billionaire. But there are those who WOULD (possibly) pay such a ridiculous price if $$$ were of no significance to them. It's interesting to see how these third-party sellers on Amazon see an extraordinarily high price on a CD, then think it's so elusive/valuable that they would lower the price by $100 thinking someone may feel they are getting a deal.

I recall getting the first Artur Rubinstein collection in the beautiful gray box with a book. I got mine from a dealer in Canada for $1,200/USD because Rubinstein is perhaps my most favourite pianist of all, and I talked and photographed with him after a concert. I understand only 1,000 copies of that first Rubinstein edition were made. What a pianist and gentleman! I have seen that set going for $5,000/USD. Even the second Rubinstein original jacket collection is garnering much higher prices than when first issued, which I have seen going for around $100/USD at one time. I think that one is up to $450 or so. It suddenly jumped up quickly.

I did pay higher prices for the Japanese DGG single releases of the violin playing of Wolfgang Schneiderhan, but then I haven't seen many of them appear again. The higher prices I paid were far more reasonable, but those are exceedingly elusive recordings now. Perhaps Universal/DGG will come forth with another edition of his playing solo works (i.e., without orchestra). They are superb recordings, too, of such a grand artist.
slofstra wrote:If you think that is something would you pay over $2700 for a Pachelbel CD with some other bleeding chunks.

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Clas ... B000JRYNWA
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Okay, Lance, I will add just one more. I recognise this thread is really about John McCabe, but this is worth mentioning.

A single CD for over $100,000.00 ...

http://www.amazon.com/Marin-Marais-Pi%C ... B0000DET8L

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Hmm, I've got that Alliance CD. I would be willing to sell it for $75,000/USD so someone could SAVE over $25,000. Are you interested in purchasing it? I think that would be very generous of me, eh? I won't charge the usual $3.99 postal fee, either!

Fact is, I don't have it. Not interested in it (though I love Marais). I just thought I'd raise a few brows!
slofstra wrote:Okay, Lance, I will add just one more. I recognise this thread is really about John McCabe, but this is worth mentioning.

A single CD for over $100,000.00 ...

http://www.amazon.com/Marin-Marais-Pi%C ... B0000DET8L
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief