Absolutely gorgeous Goldberg Variations w/Eickhorst, piano

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Absolutely gorgeous Goldberg Variations w/Eickhorst, piano

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Antes 31.9048, DDD, 78:22

It was Glenn Gould who brought me to love the Goldberg Variations by JS Bach ... Gould's first recording for Columbia Records. I have loved that performance since it was first released (in mono only), and have had long discussions with the producer of this disc, Howard H. Scott.

I have many versions of the piece on harpsichord and piano, but recently stumbled on the work of a genius German pianist by the name of Konstanze Eickhorst who made a recording of the work in November 1993 in Germany (Radio Bremen). It appears on Antes 31.9048[/i]. I discovered Eickhorst in listening to some chamber music with the Linos Ensemble and fell in love with her pianism.

Among piano recordings of the Goldbergs, Eickhorst (for me) wins hands down on contemporary recordings. She has a flawless technique, but more, a total understanding of this most difficult music to perform, especially on a modern concert grand (as opposed to the lighter action of instruments in Bach's day). Her articulation is impeccable, sense of rhythm extraordinary, and keeps the piece flowing, with all its variations, in a way that makes you want to hear not only the Aria, but the Aria repeated as track 32 and every one of the variations. Add to that a stunning piano (I suspect a Hamburg Steinway, beautifully voiced) that is never harsh, but even across the spectrum of 88 keys. I think Bach would be overjoyed to hear such a performance on an instrument he never knew.

Recommended - as is anything I've heard of Konstanze Eickhorst - FIVE STARS. *****
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

arepo

Re: An absolutely GORGEOUS Goldberg Variations on Piano

Post by arepo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:56 am

Lance..

Based on your recommendation, this CD has just been ordered. Will report after listening.

Best regards.

cliftwood

ContrapunctusIX

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:23 pm

For those wishing to hear this performance first, here are Eickhorst's Goldbergs in their entirety:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:43 pm

Harris ... thank you. I think will enjoy it very much. It is good 2CU here, my friend!
arepo wrote:Lance..

Based on your recommendation, this CD has just been ordered. Will report after listening.

Best regards.

cliftwood
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]