Downloads--Back to Physical CDs?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Modernistfan

Downloads--Back to Physical CDs?

Post by Modernistfan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:25 pm

About two years ago, Resonus Classics, a download-only label, was launched in England. However, this label is now making new releases available not only as downloads, but also as physical CDs. it seems that downloading is losing ground at both ends--to streaming at one end and back to physical product at the other end. It is not clear why Resonus is pursuing this strategy.

John F

Re: Downloads--Back to Physical CDs?

Post by John F » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:43 pm

When will they start releasing LPs too?
John Francis

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:04 pm

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world ...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... /23746479/

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Interesting about Starbucks. I go there for coffee/treats only. I have never purchased a CD there. I used to be a regular at Barnes & Noble, but their racks are only making available Top 100s (or less), and the classical department has shrunk by 90% or more. I don't even go there to buy books any longer. No question that sites such as Amazon-dot-com have bit into the retail selling of CDs and books, ink cartridges, and just about everything else. Why not? We don't have to trek out in the cold to find parking, find tickets for expired meters, and in many cases have our orders delivered to us within two days (if you are a Prime customer). So, we enthusiastic collectors have certainly paved the way for the downturn/demise of retail sales of music. How I cherish my memories of LP-collecting from 1960 to about 1985 taking car or bus trips to NYC, visiting all the great stores (Goody's on 46th Street rolled out the red carpet for me!), Chambers Record Corp., Record Hunter, Music Masters, etc., were regular stops and I would come home with a pile of cherished recordings, usually purchased with 40% to 60% discounts in those days (except at Music Masters). I frequently visisted Tower's stores in NYC, Washington, DC, Atlanta, GA, and in Canada, A&A, Sam the Record Man, and other comfy stores such as L'Atelier Grigorian (where customer treatment/service was extraordinary). Nice memories though I miss the "romance" of the LP-collecting days for sure.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:27 pm

I buy books in bookstores whenever I can. Browsing comes first, to decide whether I need to own the book, and browsing isn't available online. (amazon.com's look inside doesn't do it.) When there were record stores, I browsed there too, and usually bought there. Now the public library serves the purpose of the bricks-and-mortar store, giving me a preview that can consist of the whole book or record before I decide to buy. I hardly ever buy anything from B&N or amazon.com that I haven't sampled.

And I've never bought a music download or an e-book, and expect I never will. When I buy something I want to have it. :)
John Francis