Thoughts on Membran 10-CD boxed sets?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Thoughts on Membran 10-CD boxed sets?

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:37 am

Membran, or Intense, has produced nearly countless 10-CD boxed sets of many great artists. I have many of them, am sometimes disappointed in the quality (especially in the early days when they first came on the market). The sound has been cleaned up considerably. I suppose much of this material comes from LPs or maybe even CDs. There's a new FRICSAY set from Membran/Intense some of which has not appeared in the DGG 45-CD boxed set, which is a remarkable edition. (I can hardly for Volume 2, which is due in 2015.) There are things in the Membran box that DO NOT appear in DGG's boxed set, so Fricsay fans (and there are many) should be aware of this if they enjoy collecting that conductor's work. (I'm one of them.) Much of what Membran produces is out of copyright in Europe (but not the USA), however, a Berlioz boxed set of 10 has recordings from as late as 1997, which would not be out of copyright.

Most of these sets can be had for $15/USD from Amazon Prime (no shipping charge added and sometimes they are priced close to $20/USD). Europe seems to be a little higher, but LIST prices for these sets claim to be has high as $40/USD. Some that are out of print are garnering much higher prices.

So, do you CMG land buy any of these sets? If so, how do you evaluate them in general. Reviews I see on Amazon generally are good, especially given the price, which is about 10% of the original list price on recordings. Thus far, I have had no problems with any of the ones I have with regard to skipping, etc. On really old recordings taken from 78s or live performances (such as the Erna Berger box), there will be some distortion here and there.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Thoughts on Membran 10-CD boxed sets?

Post by Lance » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Nobody on CMG has any of these boxed sets? Just got one recently on Heinrich Schlusnus, the great German baritone [1888-1952]. Lots of songs/lieder out of the 10 CDs, and about three on opera. Nice collection - all in one inexpensive box for about $15/USD more or less per set. There's even a live interview with Schlusnus in the box. You never know what you're going to get in the way surprises in these boxed sets. It's probably all collectors' madness, to tell you the truth!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

John F

Post by John F » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:01 pm

My, you're impatient, Lance! 18 hours is none too long to wait for a response. But since you ask, I don't own any of the Membran sets and am not going to buy any. My problem now is not to acquire more records but to dispose of those I already have, as constructively as I can arrange to.
John Francis

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:18 pm

It's like you say, Lance--the quality runs the gamut.

From just fine to downright gooey--the same as if you duped a CD-R copy of a professional legit disc off of a laptop.

I have the Royal Danish Orch. historical set, and also the Beecham set.
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:00 pm

I know, sometimes this happens to me ... impatience. I get sooooo excited about recordings I guess I think everyone is the same! My apologies. Now, if you're getting rid of your recordings, let me in on the secret. I have 70,000 classical LPs I would like to also dispose of ... many collector's items, as you can imagine having collected from the age of 17! I'm at that point in life that I don't want to leave a "big mess" for someone to clean up - and I need the space for CDs more than ever. When you get so you can't find a particular disc, it's frustrating, to say the least. When you say you want to dispose of your records "as constructively as [you] can," what does this mean?

I don't want to sell them (yes, must sell them ... vinyl, they say, is coming back!), but I also don't want to be "cherry-picked." I'd like to sell them off to someone who can drive away in a tractor trailer (or two) and take them all. Any ideas? Or am I day-dreaming?
John F wrote:My, you're impatient, Lance! 18 hours is none too long to wait for a response. But since you ask, I don't own any of the Membran sets and am not going to buy any. My problem now is not to acquire more records but to dispose of those I already have, as constructively as I can arrange to.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

John F

Post by John F » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:56 pm

Presently I'm looking for a major library that will accept my stuff as a donation. This isn't easy; the sound archive at the New York Public Library is not receptive any more, though I hope to impress them with some of the rarities I have and they don't to take the whole bunch. Which is nowhere near 70,000 discs, well under 10,000 I would guess though I've never counted them. I won't mention some of the other libraries I have in mind or have actually approached because I don't want anyone to get in ahead of me and shut me out - sorry, Lance!

There are still some stores that buy and sell second-hand classical LPs, such as Academy Records on West 18th Street. But I don't think they're big enough to take all of your collection or even all of mine, and cherry-picking does me no good.

I mentioned rarities. Are there specific LPs in your collection for which you believe collectors would pay big bucks, or that would be bait for a major library whose sound archive already has many of the common LPs? From my collection, for example, there are the two French Lumen LPs by Alexis (then Sigi) Weissenberg, one of Liszt's sonata and Funerailles, the other of Haydn, Czerny and Soler - the latter recently sold on eBay for $150. Or a 10" French Ducretet-Thomson LP of 10 Liszt songs, beautifully sung by Gérard Souzay with Dalton Baldwin, sold on eBay for $39. That kind of thing.
John Francis

Mookalafalas

Post by Mookalafalas » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:57 pm

As I understand it, the Membran label's stuff is cheap mainly due to a (German?) law that causes the copy rite on musical performances to expire after 50 years. As time passes, their "newer" releases should sound better and better. I have several of their boxes, including four "100 disc" boxes--3 jazz and one classical. It's a fun and cheap way to sample a lot of music.
Call me Al (cuz its my name)

John F

Post by John F » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:32 pm

The duration of European copyright in sound recordings has been extended by the EU to 70 years. Presumably this applies in Germany as a member of the EU. If so, then all recordings made or published since 1945 are still under copyright. If Germany has a different system than the EU's, I haven't found it.

If that sounds long, the period of copyright in the U.S. is longer: 95 years. Unbelievable. We can thank Mickey Mouse for that.
John Francis

Mookalafalas

Post by Mookalafalas » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:06 am

John F wrote:The duration of European copyright in sound recordings has been extended by the EU to 70 years. Presumably this applies in Germany as a member of the EU. If so, then all recordings made or published since 1945 are still under copyright. If Germany has a different system than the EU's, I haven't found it.

If that sounds long, the period of copyright in the U.S. is longer: 95 years. Unbelievable. We can thank Mickey Mouse for that.

Yeah, something strange is going on with Membran. I found this quote from something written in 2004 which is backs JohnF up, but also suggests they are somehow trying to cling to the idea of a 50 year rule (source is http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p ... &archive=1):

Obviously Membran relies on the law, that all this music gets public domain after 50 years, what as a matter of fact is not the case in Germany at all, for the copyright on film works and everything related to them drops after70 not 50 years in the European Union (E.U.) to which Germany belongs.
Apart of that the scores were never released on any sound medium in the 40ies and 50ies, but (in best cases) in the last few years – that means that the 50 year-long copyright protection for sound media by no means dropped out, if the music was released on CD for the first time in the 90ies by SAE or FSM.

By the way: In pretense Membran also mentions an address in Athens with a phone number on the backside of the CD, so a layman is supposed to believe that the CD was produced in Greece. But Greece also belongs to the European Union and has to keep the 70 years copyright protection, too. Membran pretends just to be a distributing label with address in Hamburg. But anyone in the soundtrack community, who has a little knowledge, will call that whole game ridiculous. [...]"
Call me Al (cuz its my name)

John F

Post by John F » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:06 am

Mookalafalas wrote:the scores were never released on any sound medium in the 40ies and 50ies
Except in the films themselves; "The Sea Wolf," for example, was released in 1941. But I suppose the score as recorded independently is not identical with the movie soundtrack, so there should be copyright protection for the differences, and in effect, for the recording.
John Francis

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:01 am

Lance wrote:I know, sometimes this happens to me ... impatience. I get sooooo excited about recordings I guess I think everyone is the same! My apologies. Now, if you're getting rid of your recordings, let me in on the secret. I have 70,000 classical LPs I would like to also dispose of ... many collector's items, as you can imagine having collected from the age of 17! I'm at that point in life that I don't want to leave a "big mess" for someone to clean up - and I need the space for CDs more than ever. When you get so you can't find a particular disc, it's frustrating, to say the least. When you say you want to dispose of your records "as constructively as [you] can," what does this mean?

I don't want to sell them (yes, must sell them ... vinyl, they say, is coming back!), but I also don't want to be "cherry-picked." I'd like to sell them off to someone who can drive away in a tractor trailer (or two) and take them all. Any ideas? Or am I day-dreaming?
John F wrote:My, you're impatient, Lance! 18 hours is none too long to wait for a response. But since you ask, I don't own any of the Membran sets and am not going to buy any. My problem now is not to acquire more records but to dispose of those I already have, as constructively as I can arrange to.

You may do better by cherry picking. I have been a collector of Dutch stamps for some years, although the collection has been idle for a couple of decades now. I don't know if anyone collects stamps any more but when they did, the best items in a collection would carry 99% of the value. Collectors who wanted to pass on their stamps would almost always put the best individual items up for auction breaking up the collection. Think of it this way ... there are probably lots of collectors who can afford to spend $20 or even $50 for the record they are particularly interested in. How many collectors can afford to purchase the entire collection? You limit the market by trying to sell the works in a lot. Perhaps one of the used record stores would purchase the lot but then the collection ends up being broken anyway and they typically pay cents on the dollar. I would test the waters with one or two items on ebay and see if there is even a market.
Another way of thinking of it is not as a collection, but as a number of rare items that you've had the good fortune to get, and the rest is filler. You'll bring more joy to more people selling off those rare items one by one to the next person in line who will be its custodian until they too pass it on.

I know a lady who has been doing very well selling her books over a period of a decade or more. She has a shop on ebay and keeps adding new items as she sells her books a few at a time. Nice bit of extra income.
Oh, and ignore those high prices for individual records on Amazon. They are bunk.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:17 am

I have a couple of boxes on 'Documents' which turns out to be a label produced by Membran.
One is a 10 CD set of Smetana's music which I really liked. The other is the Schnabel Beethoven sonata set. The sound in the latter is 'good enough'.

There are some intriguing releases on this label at this site, such as a Richter box set.
http://www.propermusic.com/label/Documents-643

Unfortunately, the information on the CD contents is rather scrambled.

http://www.propermusic.com/product-deta ... 10CD-17459

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:21 am

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:25 am

I have the Mahler box gifted to me. Have never played it.

I would never buy one myself. A collector I trust maintains that Membran appropriates and degrades other companies' transfers:
Documents, Membran and many of those EU labels exist only by stealing the work of others. They do no transfers of their own, aside from misguided attempts at "improving" the stuff they steal. By improving, I mean ruining, of course! The fact that companies that DO hire professional engineers are prevented from selling their wares in the US (Naxos Historical being the most prominent) and that this utter dreck gets sold unencumbered by Amazon.com is a sure sign that we need serious reform of copyright in the US. And now, in the era of streaming services, the EU rip-off artists get their cut rate crap disseminated on Spotify, Google Play music, Emusic, iTunes as if there is no issue at all. Unfortunately there's no lobby in DC fighting for our right to have first rate audio restoration of our favorite recordings.....
Last edited by jserraglio on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

John F

Post by John F » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:55 am

slofstra wrote:You may do better by cherry picking. I have been a collector of Dutch stamps for some years, although the collection has been idle for a couple of decades now. I don't know if anyone collects stamps any more but when they did, the best items in a collection would carry 99% of the value.
Absolutely not. My objective isn't to make money from selling a few of my records, but to unburden myself of them all. I'm probably going to have to move in about 3 years, if I live that long (I probably will), and I don't want to schlepp them with me and find and pay for an apartment big enough to house them. There isn't time to sell off thousands of classical LPs piecemeal. I also intend to simplify my executor's task in dealing with what I leave behind when I'm gone; he hasn't a clue what to do about a massive classical LP collection, and might just dump it. Since I'm now in my mid-70s, that time is likely to come sooner rather than later.

As for books, I'm keeping them, most of them anyway. Those I no longer need, can go to the library; I don't have time to sell them off one by one, and having helped dispose of my father's library when he died, I'm under no illusion about the prices my books are likely to bring. All I'll get from them is a tax deduction.

I appreciate your trying to help, but you haven't put yourself in my place - stamp collections indeed! - so your suggestions don't fit my situation and objective. Thanks anyway.
John Francis

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:04 am

John F wrote:
slofstra wrote:You may do better by cherry picking. I have been a collector of Dutch stamps for some years, although the collection has been idle for a couple of decades now. I don't know if anyone collects stamps any more but when they did, the best items in a collection would carry 99% of the value.
Absolutely not. My objective isn't to make money from selling a few of my records, but to unburden myself of them all. I'm probably going to have to move in about 3 years, if I live that long (I probably will), and I don't want to schlepp them with me and find and pay for an apartment big enough to house them. There isn't time to sell off thousands of classical LPs piecemeal. I also intend to simplify my executor's task in dealing with what I leave behind when I'm gone; he hasn't a clue what to do about a massive classical LP collection, and might just dump it. Since I'm now in my mid-70s, that is likely to come sooner rather than later.

As for books, I'm keeping them, most of them anyway. Those I no longer need, can go to the library; I don't have time to sell them off one by one, and having helped dispose of my father's library when he died, I'm under no illusion about the prices my books are likely to bring. All I'll get from them is a tax deduction.

I appreciate your trying to help, but you haven't put yourself in my place - stamp collections indeed! - so your suggestions don't fit my situation and objective. Thanks anyway.
The only issue I addressed was maximising monetary return. As you sagely point out, there are other considerations.

However, I might still suggest that you consider what monetary value might accrue to the rare items in your possession and then scrap the rest if there is limited time and energy to deal with the situation. I'd qualify that comment by saying that I have zero to no knowledge of the used classical LP market, and my comments are based on stamps, paintings, and other memorabilia.

It may be that there is NO market for used classical LPs and that they've become like the 'bird egg' collections of the 1800s. Worth a small fortune then, and nothing only decades later.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:22 am

John F wrote:
Absolutely not. My objective isn't to make money from selling a few of my records, but to unburden myself of them all. I'm probably going to have to move in about 3 years, if I live that long (I probably will), and I don't want to schlepp them with me and find and pay for an apartment big enough to house them. There isn't time to sell off thousands of classical LPs piecemeal. I also intend to simplify my executor's task in dealing with what I leave behind when I'm gone; he hasn't a clue what to do about a massive classical LP collection, and might just dump it. Since I'm now in my mid-70s, that time is likely to come sooner rather than later.

As you probably know already, you can donate them all and take a tax write-off.

David DeBoor Canfield (formerly of Ars Antiqua, now reviewing for Fanfare Magazine) travelled to Cleveland, assessed the value of my friend's 5K LP collection (picking out only a few to buy for himself), and arranged to have them shipped to a charitable outfit (it gives away LPs to youngsters) he founded in Indiana. My buddy had to hire someone to pack them up though.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:45 pm

jserraglio wrote:
John F wrote:

As you probably know already, you can donate them all and take a tax write-off.

David DeBoor Canfield (formerly of Ars Antiqua, now reviewing for Fanfare Magazine) travelled to Cleveland, assessed the value of my friend's 5K LP collection (picking out only a few to buy for himself), and arranged to have them shipped to a charitable outfit (it gives away LPs to youngsters) he founded in Indiana. My buddy had to hire someone to pack them up though.
Be careful. A late relative who I won't name had such a deduction denied by Revenue Canada, except this was around comic books for youngsters.
Charity tax shelters where you donate goods are a red flag for Revenue Canada. And the IRS are not known to be less lenient than tax collectors up here.
A little more reading on this. If you donate to a 'charity tax shelter' in Canada you will be audited.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Agreed, but . . .

charitable deductions are allowed for donated items so long as they are backed by a detailed (and reasonable) appraisal of their value. That is what was provided to my friend who donated not to a tax shelter but to a legitimate charity and he has had no issues with the IRS. LPs are not like priceless comic books that are gonna make you rich, but they do have some value.
Last edited by jserraglio on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John F

Post by John F » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:12 pm

And many non-profits require the donor to obtain the appraisal - they don't provide it themselves.
John Francis

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:27 pm

jserraglio wrote:Agreed, but . . .

charitable deductions are allowed for donated items so long as they are backed by a detailed (and reasonable) appraisal of their value. That is what was provided to my friend who donated not to a tax shelter but to a legitimate charity and he has had no issues with the IRS. LPs are not like priceless comic books that are gonna make you rich, but they do have some value.
What made me skeptical was "it gives away LPs to youngsters". That sounds like the charity obtains no financial benefit from the gift in kind, that the appraised value may be arbitrary, and further, what kind of charity gives away rare classical LPs to youngsters? They can download practically anything they need from an educational perspective for next to nothing.

The comic book charity in Canada actually receipted many contributors over a period of years and Revenue Canada adjusted the taxes some years later. It did not operate like your friends' charity though. You purchased the comic books through them. Someone appraised those comic books at a value significantly higher than what you paid, and gave you a receipt for the "appraised" value. The comic books were ostensibly for third world literacy programs.

I'm not saying it's not legit; I'm just suggesting performing due diligence on this with your tax accountant.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:46 pm

slofstra wrote: [snip] What made me skeptical was "it gives away LPs to youngsters". That sounds like the charity obtains no financial benefit from the gift in kind, that the appraised value may be arbitrary, and further, what kind of charity gives away rare classical LPs to youngsters? They can download practically anything they need from an educational perspective for next to nothing. [snip]
IIRC, Mr. Canfield's charity was designed not just for kids. but also for others in need, who would not otherwise have access to music. Canfield once owned Ars Antiqua, the largest purveyor of used LPs in the world. Again IIRC, his charity began as an outlet for the thousands upon thousands of garden-variety items he could not sell. They were not collector's items. Then when the bottom dropped out of the used-LP market, he informed owners of the LPs he had to pass on in their collections that there was a way to donate them, since most other institutions (libraries & universities) would not accept them. My buddy had over 5,000 LPs from the dawn of the LP era. Canfield bought fewer than 100 of them. My friend wanted them out but not to throw them out, so he paid a couple college kids to pack them up and sent them off to Canfield's charity.

This is becoming a common problem--see the March/April 2015 issue of ARG (47-48) where distinguished reviewer John W. Barker describes the hell he went thru to deaccession intact his world-class collection of 110,000 CDs and LPs. Not a single library or university would take them (no space, no staff, no budget, and no educational programs to service), and he almost dumpstered them all before finding an individual on the staff of Brigham Young University who used the outright gift of Barker's collection to create an educational and cultural program in his private home. BYU didn't want them. But surely the venerable New York Public Library would. Barker depicts it as "simply inaccessible and unapproachable."

John F

Post by John F » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:03 am

Since I work at NYPL (as a volunteer) and know the people in the sound archive well, I can speak to that. They're neither inaccessible nor unapproachable, but they say they can't deal with the intake of massive amounts of commercially released LPs. It's not just about storage space but about processing acquisitions, notably cataloguing them. Archival collections, such as the immense Toscanini Legacy, they make room for, and collections of real rarities they don't already have, but they lack the staff and resources to catalog them properly, and an uncatalogued item in a big library might as well not be there.

NYPL depends on multimillion $$$ support from New York City and State to keep the doors of its 87 branches open. They compete with the Brooklyn Public Library and Queens Public Library for funding. Every year it's a fight to prevent that public support from being cut. The four research libraries are mainly supported by private philanthropy; the 83 neighborhood branches in Manhattan, the Bronx, and Staten Island aren't sexy enough to attract that kind of support, so they depend on public money.

Presently, the Performing Arts Library can afford only enough staff to be open six hours a day, six days a week (plus an extra two hours on Mondays and Thursdays); if their budget were increased, instead of staying unchanged or being cut, no doubt they would first increase their hours, such as by opening on Sunday, to give working people more access during their time off. Hiring another cataloguer is probably well down the list of priorities.

Because of my connections with the sound archive people, and the program I'm giving at the library next June to increase awareness that the archive exists and of the treasures it contains, I'll see if I can talk them into accepting my collection, selling off or throwing away whatever they choose not to keep. Even that will require many man-hours, comparing what I have with what they have, and I will volunteer to do that for them; maybe that will tip the balance. But I'm not very hopeful.

Maybe I should write to Mr. Freitas in Brazil...
John Francis

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:45 am

Thanks for the information. The situation does not sound promising for the vinyl collector.
In terms of Canfield's charity if the monetary amount is sizable I would stiill consult with a tax accountant. It certainly seems on the up-and-up but here in Canada unfortunately various charitable tax shelters have put Revenue Canada on alert on charitable giving in general.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:36 am

slofstra wrote:Thanks for the information. The situation does not sound promising for the vinyl collector.
In terms of Canfield's charity if the monetary amount is sizable I would stiill consult with a tax accountant. It certainly seems on the up-and-up but here in Canada unfortunately various charitable tax shelters have put Revenue Canada on alert on charitable giving in general.
Indeed, I felt that Canfield's appraisals were way too high. If I were placing a monetary value on my LP collection (about 10K items) it would be about 10 cents/item. The standard is what a "willing buyer" would pay. A lot easier to make them available to dumpster divers? Fortunately, my son has developed an interest in vinyl and has taken about 1,000 rock, jazz, blues and folk music off my hands, catalogued them all on Discogs, and even told me to keep the classical. I used to walk on the scratched Guns 'n Roses CDs scattered all over the floor of his room when he was a teenager.

BTW, I still play a lot of LPs and they sound awesome, especially the OPERAS! Those I will keep forever though they have NO market value. Canfield would not even look at my friend's LP opera collection. Rare twentieth-century music on LP is what he (a composer in his own right) claimed still had any significant monetary value and he cherry-picked those albums.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:30 am

My daughter and her partner bought ME a turntable as a gift a few years ago. In their house old vinyl and digital is all they play. No CDs.

A lot of "stuff" goes through a stage where it is obsolete and worthless and only after most of it disappears what is left shoots up in price. Or some of it.

The thing is that you don't know what is going to be valuable. I'm going to start a new thread because there is perhaps more to explore.