met ernani- domingo

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

met ernani- domingo

Post by lennygoran » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:42 pm

What a wonderful surprise-domingo was amazingly powerful tonight! I admit I heard more tenor than baritone as he sang the role of don carlo. The rest of the major singers were very good as well. And of course the traditional staging was right up our alley-lovely evening. Len

John F

Re: met ernani- domingo

Post by John F » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:29 am

Then maybe Domingo just had an off night in the performance that was reviewed. Happens all the time, and not just to 74-year-old singers. :)
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:16 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/23/arts/ ... ml?_r=0ohn I call them as I see and hear them-tommasini sees it different. :(

Len

John F

Post by John F » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:34 am

Only if you both saw them on the same night. And you didn't, did you?
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:50 am

John F wrote:Only if you both saw them on the same night. And you didn't, did you?
Well I guess I was lucky or that I didn`t mind that domingo sounded more like a tenor than a baritone-it just didn`t matter that much to us-his voice was powerful and he was commanding without hogging the stage-it was a fine effort and the ovations he and the others got went on a long time and were imo well deserved-overall this was a very successful evening of opera-tommasini spoke of a leathery sound from placido-no leather last night! Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:51 am

I think the Tommasini review is sad: any singer that sounds like that, even on an off-night, should consider hanging up his hat in the near future. It's a wonderful relationship between singer and public, something special that should not be spoiled by repeated disappointments. The opera world is replete with stories of singers who hung on too long, from Nellie Melba to Kiri Te Kanewa and Renata Scotto. Go out at the top of your game and with dignity, like Victoria De Los Angeles or Leontyne Price.

John F

Post by John F » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:53 am

Critics have been known to be wrong. And from what I've just read, Domingo had recovered from a bout of bronchitis shortly before the performance Tommasini reviewed.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:52 am

Then he should have canceled if he wasn't ready.

I suffered through a performance of Don Carlo that Domingo sang when ill during the 1980's: his voice was half its usual strength. Better a substitute than this, said I at the time.

Beckmesser

Post by Beckmesser » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:23 pm

The critic for the New York Observer was even less forgiving than Tommasini.

Can the memories of a beloved artist (I myself was impressed by Domingo's performance in the role of Siegmund not so long ago) blind us to their eventual decline? The human voice doesn't last forever and Domingo has been blessed with an unnaturally long career.

Domingo has said that he doesn't plan to announce his retirement in advance, followed by a series of "farewell" performances. Rather, he expects to decide after a particular performance that it's time to call it quits and that will be that.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:11 pm

Beckmesser wrote:The critic for the New York Observer[/url] was even less forgiving than Tommasini.
Wow couldn't disagree with this James Jorden more. Carlo as a 19 year old-I saw Dmitri Hvorostovsky in 2012-frankly I could hear Domingo better than Hvorostovsky--in 2008 Don Carlo...............Thomas Hampson-no way did he look 19! And as for the musical end I listen to Ernani a lot-it's great when working in the kitchen-the music never sounded better-Levine was great and so was the chorus-I wouldn't trust Jorden ever after reading this review.. Regards, Len :evil:

John F

Post by John F » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Domingo is ill again, or he's still ill - he had to cancel this afternoon's broadcast performance because of a cold, a half hour before curtain. So we couldn't hear him for ourselves.

Jorden writes of the opening night, also reviewed by Tommasini, "his voice, though remaining remarkably true to pitch and even in vibrato, sounded in many ways that of an old man. His breath was short, so the phrases were choppy, and he did not attempt anything in the way of dynamic variation: Everything emerged mezzo forte." To me, this is consistent with his having sung through an ailment affecting the voice, such as bronchitis or some other throat infection. As it happens, that performance was broadcast on Sirius, so we can hear him in "O de' verd' anni miei."

Certainly Domingo doesn't sound at his best, or even his current best. Under the circumstances, how could he? And of course he sounds like a tenor, because he is one. Even so, he's still a singer to be reckoned with, and demands that he retire are premature and ungrateful.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:22 pm

John F wrote: Even so, he's still a singer to be reckoned with, and demands that he retire are premature and ungrateful.
Yes that's how he sounded Tues although even better! This critic Jorden better stay out of my way-how right you are are to describe these pirahnnas as ungrateful! It's the best Ernani we've ever seen-how dare Jorden not give Meade the credit she so deserved! Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Jim Jorden is intelligent and well informed when writing in his own name. (As La Cieca, not so much.) But like many, he sometimes generalizes too broadly from a single performance.

The case of Placido Domingo is unique. While other singers have continued into their 70s and even beyond, and have made recordings for which no apology is needed, I can think of no other of that age who has been sung leading roles with so much voice in the world's leading opera houses, and certainly no tenor. Domingo has repeatedly shown that he knows his own voice and what he's capable of better than anybody else. Back in the 1970s, when he took on the role of Otello, many tut-tutted that he was foolhardy and would ruin his voice. Over 20 years later, when he sang Act 3 for the Met's 2001 opening night as his farewell to the role, he was still its leading exponent, and was not compelled by vocal decline to give it up - it was he who decided it was time. I think we must trust him to know when it's time to stop singing professionally altogether. On the evidence of that bit of "Ernani," when he may have been singing through the aftermath of bronchitis, I say that time hasn't come yet.

Here are two other famous long-lived singers. First, Sir Charles Santley, recorded in his early 70s:

And Lucien Fugère, at 80:

John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:43 pm

How about Ivan Kozlovsky, IIRC he sang his farewell concert for the Bolshoi at the tender age of 75! :shock:

George Jellenik did a program on him back in the 1970's for WQXR, and he broadcast excerpts from Kozlovsky's career: his voice showed a bit of aging, but sounded fine in Wagner.

Here's youtube concert excerpt where he sings a high D at age 80....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSYeddm3c-g

John F

Post by John F » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Right you are - amazing.

Kozlovsky's compatriot Mark Reizen sang Prince Gremin in "Eugene Onegin" at the Bolshoi Opera when he was 90. The voice has lost some of its solidity and the low notes have weakened, but still...

John Francis