Question on transferring Windows Media Player library

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Wallingford

Question on transferring Windows Media Player library

Post by Wallingford » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:55 pm

I'm anticipating getting a new laptop in the next couple of months...which would be quite welcome, as both computers in the house use a browser that Windows quit supporting since last year. (In fact, I purchased a brand new router just last week--we'd been without home internet for a month.)

I have a question dealing with whether or not I can transfer my Windows Media Player library on the old laptop, to the newer laptop. I did a Google on the question, and an unofficial Windows site said it wasn't possible. I read where I can transfer my music files as stored in "My Music" (under "My Documents"), but this would be inconvenient for me as "My Music" doesn't identify individual tracks, as well as composer information (or song titles, categories, etc.)...this is because the bulk of my music files were ripped from CD-Rs, which I had to manually enter the individual track info (painstakingly over the last five years) after ripping was done. Unfortunately, separate track info only made it onto my Windows Media Player.

I was told by one person that a $20 kit called "PC Mover" can accomplish this desired procedure.

This is simply why it's important to me that I go this particular route. Iin compiling my CD-R library over the last bunch of years, I wasn't the most scrupulous about labeling my CDs, and info only came about after extensive Google searching when I did my ripping.
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Question on transferring Windows Media Player library

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:53 am

Neil, I wish I could offer a suggestion to assist you. I'm not into this kind of thing with computers. I'm sure someone will be able to offer suggestions. Good luck ... I know it is important to you.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:37 pm

What you want to do is to store the track information (or metadata)in something called an ID3 tag that sits inside the music file itself. Then when you move the music around the metadata moves with it ... because it's in each individual music file.

Windows Media Player (WMP) supports ID3 tags. My problem in advising you is that I don't know if your version of WMP stores the metadata in ID3 tags or somewhere else. It sounds like 'somewhere else'. A couple of sites, including Microsoft, indicate that the library information can not be moved from one computer to another.

I'd experiment a bit to try and get the WMP information stored in ID3 tags. If you can succeed in doing this, moving your music files will be a cinch.

I would experiment before you try to move any of your music. Download the MP3Tag program and see if it is able to "see" the WMP data. If it can then you can then use MP3Tag to create the ID3 tags. Spend some time reading up on the MP3tag site.

Another experiment is to download the free version of Media Monkey and see if it can "see" the WMP metadata. It may be able to write the WMP data as tags.

I might also try the same experiment with 'itunes' but that might create more problems than it solves, so only if the above two approaches do not work.

If neither MP3Tag or Media Monkey are able to import the metadata I don't know what to suggest. Let me know if either of these two programs "see" your metadata though and if not, then I might try to think of something else.

Good luck.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks. I'll see, if and when I get the new computer in July.
--Paul Simon

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:57 pm

An update on my whole situation:

The Computer Doctors in Ft. Collins sold me a nice, refurbished Latitude for $319 plus tax, and they were able to get my entire Windows Media Player library intact (for an extra $50). I'm quite pleased, especially as there's no degradation in sound quality....sounds fine when hooked up to my Yamaha receiver. There've been a few kinks I had to iron out (if you have a "various artists" compilation, it'll show the same album cover icon each time the track advances to a new artist). Anyway, with all this I am happy.

My major beef this time: I can't find a site to download a new driver, for the new laptop to operate my 4-year-old HP scanner. I use it to scan copies I've made of photos of obscure artists to store in "My Pictures," and transfer the image to the compilation/music file I've burned and ripped. This is presently the only real impasse in my collecting mania.
--Paul Simon

John F

Post by John F » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:36 am

The source should be the maker of your scanner, Hewlett Packard. If you can't find the driver for your operating system on their site, post a query there or if they provide a customer service phone number, you can use that.
John Francis

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:49 am

Wallingford wrote:An update on my whole situation:

The Computer Doctors in Ft. Collins sold me a nice, refurbished Latitude for $319 plus tax, and they were able to get my entire Windows Media Player library intact (for an extra $50). I'm quite pleased, especially as there's no degradation in sound quality....sounds fine when hooked up to my Yamaha receiver. There've been a few kinks I had to iron out (if you have a "various artists" compilation, it'll show the same album cover icon each time the track advances to a new artist). Anyway, with all this I am happy.

My major beef this time: I can't find a site to download a new driver, for the new laptop to operate my 4-year-old HP scanner. I use it to scan copies I've made of photos of obscure artists to store in "My Pictures," and transfer the image to the compilation/music file I've burned and ripped. This is presently the only real impasse in my collecting mania.
Glad that worked out for you. Latitude's are workhorses, or at least they used to be, and there's no reason to think that has changed. I had used them for years, as do my customers, although recently we've tended to use Lenovo ThinkPads.

Your problem with the scanner is a common one. Scanner manufacturers often do not update their drivers so that you can run your old scanner on a new computer. For some odd reason, they'd rather that you buy a new scanner when you purchase the new computer.

See if the VueScan program might do the trick for you. I purchased it myself to support an older Nikon Coolscan scanner and it works better than what I had before. Somewhere on the VueScan site you should be able to find a list of the models supported. They may also have a trial period on the program so you can ensure it works.

https://www.hamrick.com/

List of supported scanners:
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/supported-scanners.html

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:05 am

slofstra wrote:
Wallingford wrote:An update on my whole situation:

Glad that worked out for you. Latitude's are workhorses, or at least they used to be, and there's no reason to think that has changed. I had used them for years, as do my customers, although recently we've tended to use Lenovo ThinkPads.

Your problem with the scanner is a common one. Scanner manufacturers often do not update their drivers so that you can run your old scanner on a new computer. For some odd reason, they'd rather that you buy a new scanner when you purchase the new computer.

See if the VueScan program might do the trick for you. I purchased it myself to support an older Nikon Coolscan scanner and it works better than what I had before. Somewhere on the VueScan site you should be able to find a list of the models supported. They may also have a trial period on the program so you can ensure it works.

https://www.hamrick.com/

List of supported scanners:
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/supported-scanners.html
Last evening I came across a solution: I'll simply continue doing my scanning with the old laptop, then dupe them to CD-R, then put the disc in my new computer and do the image transferring from there.

I really can't emphasize enough how aesthetically important it is for me to have some kind of album-cover image for each of my music files. It's a somewhat cumbersome process, but I have the time. :D
--Paul Simon

Tore

Post by Tore » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:38 pm

I have used Windows media player for my music Library for many years. I have looked elsewhere, but I have never found any other Software that is as good. Very good to search for music (it also search inside a search, I can first search "Beethoven" and then "Gardiner" and I find all of John Eliot's recordings of Beethoven) and can sort by Composer (which is very important for me). I have 100 000+ music files, and it handles it easily. I have also tagged all my music properly over the years.

I have a dedicated drive on my pc for my music, and also an external harddrive for backup. A few weeks ago, my primary drive got "ill" and I had to replace it. I just copied the music back onto the new drive and let WMP update itself for a few hours. Then it was just as it was before. Nothing lost or changed.

Tore F Steenslid
Sotra, Norway