Virtuosity - The Cliburn

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Virtuosity - The Cliburn

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:37 pm

Just noticed this program will be on Thirteen this Fri:
Virtuosity - The Cliburn
THIRTEEN
Jul 31 at 9:00pm share
Virtuosity - The Cliburn
Watch the world's best young pianists try to make a name for themselves at the Cliburn, a high-stakes piano competition that becomes as much a test of character as a musical proving ground. The winner is virtually guaranteed a performing career.

Regards, Len

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Re: Virtuosity - The Cliburn

Post by stenka razin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:02 am

Len, thank you my friend for the thumbs up. I have never seen a Cliburn competition program, but, now I will thanks to you, my friend.

Regards,
Mel 8)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:52 am

More than a decade ago, the Cliburn Competition managed to raise enough money to broadcast the finals concerts with several young excellent pianists (including Olga Kern). James Conlon was the music director, and he was shown coaching the competitors in-between complete movements in these half-hour segments. All of the contestants were uniformly excellent in showpiece concerti (Prokofiev, Rachmaninov, etc.).

Thanks for the heads-up: I'll be sure to tune in again! :D

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:42 pm

This film is about the 2013 Cliburn competition. It has toured film festivals for a number of months, and now will be shown on PBS.

Here is a trailer about the film.

http://www.cliburn.org/competitions/cli ... irtuosity/

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:55 am

Thanks for the reminder about this program. It was broadcast on the Philadelphia PBS station, Channel 12. It was an interesting and enjoyable program. I even forced myself to switch from watching my beloved but struggling Phillies (who happened to win last night) to watch this, and glad I did. :D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:58 am

Ricordanza wrote:Thanks for the reminder about this program. It was broadcast on the Philadelphia PBS station, Channel 12. It was an interesting and enjoyable program. I even forced myself to switch from watching my beloved but struggling Phillies (who happened to win last night) to watch this, and glad I did. :D
We`re on the road now but I hope to watch it off the dvr when we return. Len