Windows 10

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
maestrob
Posts: 6816
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Windows 10

Post by maestrob » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Recently received Windows 10 from Microsoft. It's sitting on my computer unused because I read somewhere that it doesn't come with a media player for CDs, only for DVDs.

I listen to CDs while I'm on the computer, so Windows 10, by definition, is so far useless to me. Has anyone out there solved this conundrum? As it is, I'm perfectly happy with Windows 8 as currently configured on my desktop. Can anyone motivate me to make the upgrade, or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks.

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Windows 10

Post by John F » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Maybe this will help.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485170,00.asp

There are lots of free media players out there, and this article mentions some of them.

You haven't installed Windows 10 so you don't know whether you can play a CD in the computer's disc drive. The Windows DVD Player may do the job even if it just says DVD. Or you may be able to get a codec from Microsoft or some other source that enables CD playback. Maybe someone here who has installed Windows 10 can say whether it works.
John Francis

Holden Fourth
Posts: 1473
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:47 am

Re: Windows 10

Post by Holden Fourth » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Download VLC Media Player. it will play anything.

lennygoran
Posts: 15622
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Windows 10

Post by lennygoran » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:58 pm

maestrob wrote: I listen to CDs while I'm on the computer,
So do I-I sure hope if you put a cd in it will play music for you! John F's possible alternatives do sound promising. Regards, Len

lennygoran
Posts: 15622
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Windows 10

Post by lennygoran » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Holden Fourth wrote:Download VLC Media Player. it will play anything.
I have that on my dell xp-it was free so I guess I could go back to that for cd listening. Regards, Len

Tore
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:54 am
Location: Vindenes, Norway
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

Post by Tore » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:25 pm

maestrob wrote:Recently received Windows 10 from Microsoft. It's sitting on my computer unused because I read somewhere that it doesn't come with a media player for CDs, only for DVDs.

I listen to CDs while I'm on the computer, so Windows 10, by definition, is so far useless to me. Has anyone out there solved this conundrum? As it is, I'm perfectly happy with Windows 8 as currently configured on my desktop. Can anyone motivate me to make the upgrade, or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks.
Windows media player is included in Win10. I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 with no problems. I have 100 000+ mp3's in WMP, and it was just the same after the Upgrade. I have ripped lots of CDs in it after the upgrade, so it plays CDs just as before.

I also think you got it the other way round. I have read that it will stop supporting DVDs. As I have a blu-ray player in my pc, I use a different program should I wish to see films on my pc.

Tore F Steenslid
Sotra, Norway

lennygoran
Posts: 15622
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Windows 10

Post by lennygoran » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:43 pm

Tore wrote: I have read that it will stop supporting DVDs. As I have a blu-ray player in my pc, I use a different program should I wish to see films on my pc.

Tore F Steenslid
Sotra, Norway
That's terrible news for me-I went years without a DVD drive and just got it when I bought the all-in-one lenovo-my first dvd's on a computer and I love it. Regards, Len

Tore
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:54 am
Location: Vindenes, Norway
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

Post by Tore » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:52 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Tore wrote: I have read that it will stop supporting DVDs. As I have a blu-ray player in my pc, I use a different program should I wish to see films on my pc.

Tore F Steenslid
Sotra, Norway
That's terrible news for me-I went years without a DVD drive and just got it when I bought the all-in-one lenovo-my first dvd's on a computer and I love it. Regards, Len
There is a program called Windows dvd player in Win10 though, so I am not sure you should worry too much. I havent' tried it, but it came with the Upgrade.

Tore F Steenslid
Sotra, Norway

lennygoran
Posts: 15622
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Windows 10

Post by lennygoran » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:09 pm

Tore wrote: There is a program called Windows dvd player in Win10 though, so I am not sure you should worry too much. I havent' tried it, but it came with the Upgrade.

Tore F Steenslid
Sotra, Norway
Thanks, I'll be looking for it-right now I'm still waiting for the download to finish. Regards, Len

lennygoran
Posts: 15622
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Windows 10

Post by lennygoran » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:47 pm

Tore wrote:but it came with the Upgrade.

Tore F Steenslid
Sotra, Norway
A followup question because the windows 10 is really taking its time-I've been closing my computer for the evening and then turning it on in the morning-will this effect the windows 10 download or will it pick up from where it left off before the close. Regards, Len

maestrob
Posts: 6816
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Windows 10

Post by maestrob » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks for all the information, gents. There doesn't seem to be any hurry, so I'll leave things as they are for now..... :)

I use Google Chrome, and it has all my settings and passwords stored, and I'm afraid to lose that convenience.

lennygoran
Posts: 15622
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Windows 10

Post by lennygoran » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:30 am

maestrob wrote:Thanks for all the information, gents. There doesn't seem to be any hurry, so I'll leave things as they are for now..... :)

I use Google Chrome, and it has all my settings and passwords stored, and I'm afraid to lose that convenience.
I'm getting concerned now--someone in the CS forum said the download should only take a few hours at most-found this material fwiw--I've had my computer running for 6 hours nothing and it hasn't really produced anything-just a little wheel on the upgrade page spinning around.

I'm really getting more concerned-just found this article-a specific on the delay and a lot more:

4. The installer may not be ready for you yet

If you keep getting notifications that your upgrade isn’t quite ready yet (in Win7 or Win8.1, right-click the Windows Update icon in the system tray and choose Check Status of Update), there’s a reason. Microsoft got a whole lot of requests to upgrade to Windows 10. Contrary to what you might expect, those requests are not being satisfied first-in-first-out.

Instead, the Windows 10 installer takes a look at your system and, based on the hardware and software it finds, assigns your request to a bucket of similar upgrade requests. The folks running the (massive) upgrade effort prioritize your request based on their assessment of how likely your system is to bomb out on an upgrade. As more systems get upgraded, more of the kinks get ironed out, and the more likely your system will float to the top of the heap.

You can upgrade manually -- I wrote about how to perform a manual upgrade last week. But unless you’ve made the request the usual way and waited until your turn comes up in line, you’re tempting the Wingods

http://www.infoworld.com/article/297229 ... tml#slide8

I wonder if I should cancel my request for an upgrade? Regards, Len

maestrob
Posts: 6816
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Windows 10

Post by maestrob » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:37 am

Hi, Len.

That sounds like a good idea. I'm going to wait for a while myself until the demand slows down and they iron out most of the kinks.

Tore
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:54 am
Location: Vindenes, Norway
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

Post by Tore » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:17 pm

When I upgraded, I did it manually via this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software ... /windows10

It was a quick download for me (I have a 100Mbit fiberoptic Connection) and the Upgrade took maybe an hour. No errors, no files lost and no need to reinstall drivers or other Software. A little clean-up in the start meny and I was ready to start using Win10.

Tore F Steenslid
Sotra, Norway

lennygoran
Posts: 15622
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Windows 10

Post by lennygoran » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Tore wrote:When I upgraded, I did it manually via this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software ... /windows10
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I decide to go for windows 10-for now I'm passing on it-just cancelled my upgrade reservation. Regards, Len

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:01 am

lennygoran wrote:
maestrob wrote:Thanks for all the information, gents. There doesn't seem to be any hurry, so I'll leave things as they are for now..... :)

I use Google Chrome, and it has all my settings and passwords stored, and I'm afraid to lose that convenience.
I'm getting concerned now--someone in the CS forum said the download should only take a few hours at most-found this material fwiw--I've had my computer running for 6 hours nothing and it hasn't really produced anything-just a little wheel on the upgrade page spinning around.

I'm really getting more concerned-just found this article-a specific on the delay and a lot more:

4. The installer may not be ready for you yet

If you keep getting notifications that your upgrade isn’t quite ready yet (in Win7 or Win8.1, right-click the Windows Update icon in the system tray and choose Check Status of Update), there’s a reason. Microsoft got a whole lot of requests to upgrade to Windows 10. Contrary to what you might expect, those requests are not being satisfied first-in-first-out.

Instead, the Windows 10 installer takes a look at your system and, based on the hardware and software it finds, assigns your request to a bucket of similar upgrade requests. The folks running the (massive) upgrade effort prioritize your request based on their assessment of how likely your system is to bomb out on an upgrade. As more systems get upgraded, more of the kinks get ironed out, and the more likely your system will float to the top of the heap.

You can upgrade manually -- I wrote about how to perform a manual upgrade last week. But unless you’ve made the request the usual way and waited until your turn comes up in line, you’re tempting the Wingods

http://www.infoworld.com/article/297229 ... tml#slide8

I wonder if I should cancel my request for an upgrade? Regards, Len
It situations like this...

Buy a Mac... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

lennygoran
Posts: 15622
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Windows 10

Post by lennygoran » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:01 am

Chalkperson wrote:
Buy a Mac... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Gotta admit I've never even sat down in front of a Mac-wait are you referring to a Maine MacDonalds lobster roll! Regards, Len [fleeing] :lol:

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Windows 10

Post by Seán » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:02 am

I have had windows 95; windows 97: windows xp; windows xp professional (yeah right!); windows 7 and then I bought an iMac. Once you get a Mac you'll never wanna go back. :lol:
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18429
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

Post by Lance » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:07 pm

That's what people keep telling me. But I have to be sure all my PC-related materials can open up in specifically Microsoft programs. I understand that CAN be done. True? I do have an iPad, which I took to Europe with me, specifically to use Skype. It worked fine, but otherwise, I don't relate very well to the Apple or Mac systems. Is it me?

BTW, I had the most fun with Windows 97, went XP Pro, then 8.1, the latter of which has not been well received by the public, hence Windows 10 to bring back some of the old stuff.
Seán wrote:I have had windows 95; windows 97: windows xp; windows xp professional (yeah right!); windows 7 and then I bought an iMac. Once you get a Mac you'll never wanna go back. :lol:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

slofstra
Posts: 8962
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

Post by slofstra » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Lance wrote:That's what people keep telling me. But I have to be sure all my PC-related materials can open up in specifically Microsoft programs. I understand that CAN be done. True? I do have an iPad, which I took to Europe with me, specifically to use Skype. It worked fine, but otherwise, I don't relate very well to the Apple or Mac systems. Is it me?

BTW, I had the most fun with Windows 97, went XP Pro, then 8.1, the latter of which has not been well received by the public, hence Windows 10 to bring back some of the old stuff.
Seán wrote:I have had windows 95; windows 97: windows xp; windows xp professional (yeah right!); windows 7 and then I bought an iMac. Once you get a Mac you'll never wanna go back. :lol:
The advantages of Mac over Windows have mostly disappeared. The key advantage was a smoother and simpler workflow for certain kinds of tasks: publishing, photo editing, and so on. The disadvantages are high prices, and poor backwards compatibility. Mac's never were, and still aren't, useful for serious database or spreadsheet programs.

I recently moved all my Mac stuff back over to a Windows environment. Replacing my out-of-date mini-Mac was going to cost about $1000.-- and instead I replaced that particular unit with a $250 ASUS Windows 8.1 computer.

My other half a dozen or so computers for personal use are all Windows units, mostly Windows 7.

slofstra
Posts: 8962
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

Post by slofstra » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:21 pm

Lance wrote:That's what people keep telling me. But I have to be sure all my PC-related materials can open up in specifically Microsoft programs. I understand that CAN be done. True? I do have an iPad, which I took to Europe with me, specifically to use Skype. It worked fine, but otherwise, I don't relate very well to the Apple or Mac systems. Is it me?

BTW, I had the most fun with Windows 97, went XP Pro, then 8.1, the latter of which has not been well received by the public, hence Windows 10 to bring back some of the old stuff.
Seán wrote:I have had windows 95; windows 97: windows xp; windows xp professional (yeah right!); windows 7 and then I bought an iMac. Once you get a Mac you'll never wanna go back. :lol:
The rule of thumb is that every other release is a good one.
Good ones: Windows 95, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7.

Bad ones: Windows 3.1, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows VISTA, Windows 8.

Following this rule, Windows 10 should be good. Most businesses, at least the ones I know, evaluated Windows 8 and took a pass. I've been very pleased with Windows 7.

The Microsoft Surface Pro is an awesome computer. Nothing tops it right now. Its chief advantage over the Apple tablet is that the same O/S and programs can be run in either a notebook or tablet format.

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Windows 10

Post by John F » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:19 am

Windows 3.1, released in 1992, was not a "bad" version. To the contrary, it was the first really usable version of Windows. I remember it well. It was essentially a shall for MS-DOS/PC-DOS, and of course Windows has become infinitely more powerful since then, as have personal computers.
John Francis

slofstra
Posts: 8962
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

Post by slofstra » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:30 am

John F wrote:Windows 3.1, released in 1992, was not a "bad" version. To the contrary, it was the first really usable version of Windows. I remember it well. It was essentially a shall for MS-DOS/PC-DOS, and of course Windows has become infinitely more powerful since then, as have personal computers.
Ah yes, the good old days of the BSOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKZNBr9raFs


Actually, I don't disagree with you. In its time Windows 3.1 was ... okay.

SONNET CLV
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:28 am
Location: Paradise, Montana

Re: Windows 10

Post by SONNET CLV » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:06 pm

maestrob wrote:Recently received Windows 10 from Microsoft. It's sitting on my computer unused because I read somewhere that it doesn't come with a media player for CDs, only for DVDs.

I listen to CDs while I'm on the computer, so Windows 10, by definition, is so far useless to me. Has anyone out there solved this conundrum? As it is, I'm perfectly happy with Windows 8 as currently configured on my desktop. Can anyone motivate me to make the upgrade, or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks.
WINDOWS 10 users ... Don't panic yet!

I just turned to this Forum, decided to look first at the item titled "Windows 10" since just yesterday I downloaded the thing and have seemingly liked it so far.

And then, as I read your post, I began to get the heebie-jeebies, or whatever, fearing that maybe my precious CD playback would be affected.

So I immediately popped in a CD and ... wallah! I was unable to get CD audio recognition. The automatic load said something to the effect of "No video properties available" and the word DVD was scrawled all over the screen.

I went temporarily into panic mode.

Popped the audio disc in and out a couple of times, to no immediate avail. Began reading the remaining posts in this thread, started to wonder what download I would choose to attempt to get CD playback back ....

Then, I spotted my CD Drive Shortcut icon on the main screen ... it was there prior to my download of Windows 10. So I clicked on it and ... wallah! ... CD playback, just as usual.

So, I'm not downloading anything else. I just won't rely on the automatic load anymore. Perhaps with further exploration I'll figure that out. Meanwhile, I do have CD audio playback with Windows 10 in my DELL laptop, which I'm using right now to type these notes.

One last thing. I am a user of the Collectorz.com "Music Collector 15.5.3" CD/LP database software, which I use to catalog my discs. (A fairly new user, I must admit. I'm still experimenting with the program, which is quite versatile and powerful, thus far.) In any case, I checked to see if the Windows 10 affected it. I popped in an audio CD disc and opened the "scan disc" feature of the software. It immediately read the disc and downloaded online information in preparation for the cataloguing into the software. So that's a relief, too.

What other surprised will Windows 10 have in store for me? I can't wait to find out. This adventure of "the new technology" is almost as exciting as the adventure of encountering new musical works to listen to.

Play on!

lennygoran
Posts: 15622
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Windows 10

Post by lennygoran » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:09 am

Recently I noticed the computer not working as quickly as I would like with regard to getting started-I think it was windows 10 and googled about the problem-just tried this and hope it works!

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get- ... m-taskbar/

Regards, Len

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Windows 10

Post by John F » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:17 am

Many things can slow a computer down, and the operating system is among the less likely culprits - to the contrary, new versions often run faster, that's one of their objectives. If you do normal hard drive maintenance, such as defragmenting, that may be all you need.
John Francis

lennygoran
Posts: 15622
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Windows 10

Post by lennygoran » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:33 am

John F wrote:Many things can slow a computer down, and the operating system is among the less likely culprits - to the contrary, new versions often run faster, that's one of their objectives. If you do normal hard drive maintenance, such as defragmenting, that may be all you need.
I'll check that out but first I want to see if what I did this morning solves the problem-this problem only started as I recall when I applied for the Windows 10 app. Regards, Len

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18429
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

Post by Lance » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:27 pm

I believe, only believe, that Windows 10 automatically defrags itself. I haven't defraged my 'puter in many, many moons, but followed "Tom's Hardware," a free authority on the 'net on computer stuff, and followed each step. When I ran the defrag, only one tenth of one percent was not defraged on the hard drive, and this probably because of most current use. Without "Tom's Hardware" and how even to get to the defrag component, I would never have gotten there.

Still having problems using Microsoft's new browser called Edge. It sometimes opens up in a program, next time it may not. If it does open up in Edge, I cannot move around the program (such as in CMG, perhaps in colouring some text). So I have had to go through Google to get where I want to go. Any one else having these problems, i.e., getting to your programs swiftly? I even have to get to CMG through Google. BING seemed to work better, as did the regular internet explorer.

I just did a Malware check as well, on the whole computer ... everything is looking good in that direction. So, moving to a new operating system has its pros and cons.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Windows 10

Post by John F » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:58 am

Windows 10 offers three modes of defragmentation, or "optimization." One is when you choose to do it, as before. But I see that you can also set up scheduled optimization, and Windows runs its defrag tool automatically when scheduled to do so. This has been available in Windows since the Vista (pre 7) version. And if you leave the computer on for a long time without using it, apparently Windows defragments automatically independent of any schedule you may have set up.



The advantage is that you don't have to remember to do it, and it keeps the amount of fragmentation down. The disadvantage is that defragmentation can interfere with hard drive intensive work, such as ripping or recording a CD or DVD.
John Francis

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests