Spectacular sound from Neeme Järvi on DGG

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Spectacular sound from Neeme Järvi on DGG

Post by Lance » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:11 pm

I don't know how I missed this one, but Neeme Järvi has certainly turned out to be one of the most-recorded conductors around today, and on many labels. The disc was previously issued by DGG in a colorfully packaged CD [453 5862, Japan: UCDG-5345, 70+ minutes, DDD], but now appears to be available only on the Japanese-pressed CD entitled "Lollipops". The lineup isn't Neeme's regular fare, but shows his much lighter side with regard to repertoire.

• Lehar: Gold and Silver Waltz, Op. 79
• Fucik: Florentiner March, Op. 214
• Waldteufel: Skaters Waltz, Op. 183
• Delibes: Pizzicati from Sylvia
• Gounod (arr. L. Weninger): Waltz from Faust
• Massenet: Final Sleep of the Virgin from La Vierge
• Reznicek: Donna Diana Overture
• Hellmesberger, Jr.: Ball Scene
• Fucik: Engry of the Gladiators Triumphal March, Op. 68
• Weinberger: Polka & Fugue from Schwanda the Bagpiper
• Alfven: Swedish Rhapsody No. 1, Op. 19 ("Midsummer Vigil")

Gothenburg Symphony orchestra
Recorded 1995, 1996

I was startled by the clarity and richness of sound from this orchestra. Not only for the great music-making, but the sound, too, makes it a real test for a good speaker system. Hearing this has inspired me to do, perhaps, a two-part tribute to conductor Neeme Järvi. [Any takers for that?]
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

david johnson

Re: Spectacular sound from Neeme Järvi on DGG

Post by david johnson » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:15 am

Florentiner is a fine march :) I've not heard of this recording.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:36 am

Jarvi's work has generally been, IMHO, hasty and rushed to press with third-rank orchestras (see his Martinu cycle and Rimsky-Korsakov symphonies), but when given the opportunity to work with a first-rate band, he can certainly deliver the goods. The set that launched his career has remained in print since it was first issued in the 1980's, and remains a gem in my collection of rare Russian music. Jarvi worked hard on this issue, which deserves a listen and inclusion on your program, Lance. Very fine work here.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:37 am

I'm surprised there hasn't been more comment on Neeme Jarvi, whose son Paavo is also a fine musician. Here are a few more albums of Neeme's fine work:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:09 am

I'm sure Järvi did much to bring back the former glory of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, one of the nation's great orchestras who have enjoyed many fine conductors from the day of Ossip Gabrilowitsch and forward. Thank you for pointing these out.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:06 pm

I've never found Jarvi's conducting "hasty and rushed ", just full of energy .I wouldn't call any of the orchestras he's recorded with "third rank ". The Gothenburg symphony , Royal Scottish orchestra et al aren't exactly chopped liver !
And the Suisse Romande Stravinsky recordings on Chandos are actually better played than the ones made by Ernest Ansermet with same orchestra long before .
Some of the recordings I have with him I would recommend highly, such as the youthful 2nd symphony of Richard Strauss ( a pretty good work) , Prokofiev's amazing Cantata on the 20th anniversary of the October revolution ,
Tchaikovsky's Mazeppa with Gorchakova and Leiferkus, Prokofiev's "The Fiery Angel "and Nielsen's little known but magnificent opera "Saul & David,",
and the six Nielsen symphonies with the Gothenburg symphony, plus the late Geoffrey Tozer and Jarvi in the three piano concertos by Nikolai Medtner .
And Jarvi has put us all in his debt for recording so much off beat but interesting repertoire .

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:02 pm

THEHORN wrote:I've never found Jarvi's conducting "hasty and rushed ", just full of energy .I wouldn't call any of the orchestras he's recorded with "third rank ". The Gothenburg symphony , Royal Scottish orchestra et al aren't exactly chopped liver !
And the Suisse Romande Stravinsky recordings on Chandos are actually better played than the ones made by Ernest Ansermet with same orchestra long before .
Some of the recordings I have with him I would recommend highly, such as the youthful 2nd symphony of Richard Strauss ( a pretty good work) , Prokofiev's amazing Cantata on the 20th anniversary of the October revolution ,
Tchaikovsky's Mazeppa with Gorchakova and Leiferkus, Prokofiev's "The Fiery Angel "and Nielsen's little known but magnificent opera "Saul & David,",
and the six Nielsen symphonies with the Gothenburg symphony, plus the late Geoffrey Tozer and Jarvi in the three piano concertos by Nikolai Medtner .
And Jarvi has put us all in his debt for recording so much off beat but interesting repertoire .
Please re-read my original post, Robert. I never called Jarvi's conducting hasty & rushed: I was referring to the product itself, which seemed hastily put together and rushed to press without much rehearsal, i.e. the Rimsky-Korsakov Symphonies on DGG (boring!) and the Martinu Symphonies on BIS (scrappily played). Jarvi's work with the Scottish National has been IMHO good to excellent.

Every conductor suffers from the pressure to produce product and is sometimes overwhelmed by forces beyond his/her control. I'm sure that Jarvi is no exception, and that he has produced his share of duds. OTOH, he's a great musician who deserves recognition for his immense body of work, especially, as you say, the many recordings of rare repertoire that he has brought to our attention.

Finally, I'll admit that I haven't heard his Nielsen :oops: , and will look them over based on your recommendation. I think, however, that the Ormandy/Bernstein set and the more recent Blomstedt will remain my favorites for now.