The 50-CD Richter Melodiya box is in hand!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

The 50-CD Richter Melodiya box is in hand!

Post by Lance » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:19 am

Only one thousand (1,000) copies are said to be issued of this incredible compendium of live Sviatoslav Richter recordings made in Russia. As you would expect, there is lots of repetition of repertoire, nonetheless, each Richter performance is never the same. He was constantly looking to get to the true spirit of the music.

The set is beautifully produced, a big black box edition, booklet (in three languages including English), with all the CDs arranged to look like a piano keyboard as the 50 CDs are arranged and numbered on their spines. The only problem is that there are three black keys where there should only be two. There is also a large white cloth that could be hung on a wall indicating Richter's 100th anniversary. The point of the project is well taken, however ... nice idea, and a stunning tribute to one of the world's finest and most-recorded pianists. Sound is generally good or at least acceptable; early recordings sometimes illustrate out-of-tune pianos (common on early Russian recordings) with a variety of sonics. Overall, some wonderful finds, especially a rehearsal at home with his companion, soprano Galina Vishnevskaya, each speaking in Russian.

Each CD shows the dates of the recordings. This is a rather pricey issue, but if you are a fanatic for Richter or great piano playing, it is a must. And if, indeed, only 1,000 copies are being made available (my copy has a numbered certificate showing "Set No. 366"), this is a volume that will ultimately become hugely expensive. It would be difficult to imagine that this product would "bomb."

I would have eliminated some other "wants" in order to have this particular set. The Russians have become great marketers of their recordings and finally realize the legacy they have at their disposal with their legendary artists of the past. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Holden Fourth

Re: The 50-CD Richter Melodiya box is in hand!

Post by Holden Fourth » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:37 pm

Strongly recommend you order it. Given the number of Richter fans, I have a feeling it may go very fast. Amazon may be trying to make up for the huge price error they made in the Brilliant Handel Edition! :twisted:

Amazon have it for preorder only so you've done well to get a copy. Yes, $600 is a bit steep for a box set but it's still only $12 per CD. I have had a small windfall and am seriously considering this purchase.

John F

Post by John F » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Richter often played on whatever piano was available, regardless of its condition. I've heard that he played at the funeral of Boris Pasternak on an upright piano, and during his long excursion across the Soviet Union, he would arrive in a town, arrange with the mayor or other official for a place to play for any comers free of charge, and play on the instrument provided.

There could hardly be a more extreme contrast than with Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, who would arrive in London for a recital with his personal piano technician, decide that there wasn't a usable piano in the whole city, and cancel the concert.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:11 pm

Indeed, Michelangeli was a perfectionist with regard to his piano. His cancellations are well known! Alfred Brendel almost has the same reputation and, like Krystian Zimerman, will work on their own pianos much to the chagrin of the piano tuner-technicians! Zimerman, I believe, has had some experience in piano technical work.
John F wrote:Richter often played on whatever piano was available, regardless of its condition. I've heard that he played at the funeral of Boris Pasternak on an upright piano, and during his long excursion across the Soviet Union, he would arrive in a town, arrange with the mayor or other official for a place to play for any comers free of charge, and play on the instrument provided.

There could hardly be a more extreme contrast than with Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, who would arrive in London for a recital with his personal piano technician, decide that there wasn't a usable piano in the whole city, and cancel the concert.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:52 am

I have been listening to these discs by randomly selecting them. These are extraordinary performances especially for live performances where they are mostly note perfect, but illustrate a side of Sviatoslav Richter's playing that is not as well captured in some of his studio-made recordings. The artist's interpretative skills are very much alive in these discs, which are surprisingly well recorded. Richter in the 1960s and 1970s was probably at his very best. It was around this time he appeared in the USA for the first time, and if his recordings were known before his appearances (which they were), we now realize what all the excitement was about. His Haydn (Sonata #50 in C Major) and Schumann (Noveletten, Op. 21/1,2,8) live in Moscow in September 1960 are a revelation. So far, no disappointments in this wonderful Richter edition! It is as close to be in the audience as you can imagine.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:34 am

Lance wrote:Only one thousand (1,000) copies are said to be issued of this incredible compendium of live Sviatoslav Richter recordings made in Russia. As you would expect, there is lots of repetition of repertoire, nonetheless, each Richter performance is never the same. He was constantly looking to get to the true spirit of the music.

The set is beautifully produced, a big black box edition, booklet (in three languages including English), with all the CDs arranged to look like a piano keyboard as the 50 CDs are arranged and numbered on their spines. The only problem is that there are three black keys where there should only be two. There is also a large white cloth that could be hung on a wall indicating Richter's 100th anniversary. The point of the project is well taken, however ... nice idea, and a stunning tribute to one of the world's finest and most-recorded pianists. Sound is generally good or at least acceptable; early recordings sometimes illustrate out-of-tune pianos (common on early Russian recordings) with a variety of sonics. Overall, some wonderful finds, especially a rehearsal at home with his companion, soprano Galina Vishnevskaya, each speaking in Russian.

Each CD shows the dates of the recordings. This is a rather pricey issue, but if you are a fanatic for Richter or great piano playing, it is a must. And if, indeed, only 1,000 copies are being made available (my copy has a numbered certificate showing "Set No. 366"), this is a volume that will ultimately become hugely expensive. It would be difficult to imagine that this product would "bomb."

I would have eliminated some other "wants" in order to have this particular set. The Russians have become great marketers of their recordings and finally realize the legacy they have at their disposal with their legendary artists of the past. •
If you don't mind my asking, where exactly did you buy it? The lowest price I have found seems to be at mdt.co.uk

Am I missing some reliable and less expensive source?

Thanks in advance!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:00 pm

You got it: MDT. Total price with shipping was around $400/USD. Amazon-USA can be expensive on many items, even with PRIME.
Len_Z wrote:
Lance wrote:Only one thousand (1,000) copies are said to be issued of this incredible compendium of live Sviatoslav Richter recordings made in Russia. As you would expect, there is lots of repetition of repertoire, nonetheless, each Richter performance is never the same. He was constantly looking to get to the true spirit of the music.

If you don't mind my asking, where exactly did you buy it? The lowest price I have found seems to be at mdt.co.uk

Am I missing some reliable and less expensive source?

Thanks in advance!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:00 pm

Lance wrote:You got it: MDT. Total price with shipping was around $400/USD. Amazon-USA can be expensive on many items, even with PRIME.
Thank you, Lance!

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi Lance.

Are the CD case covers on your set smudged? On my set, every cover and back to every CD case has ink bleed-through. They look like this:

George

Ted Quanrud

Post by Ted Quanrud » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:45 pm

Reluctantly, I will pass on this. Thanks to the recent Decca-DGG-Philips, EMI and Sony box sets, as well as various other holdings, I have a fair amount of Richter already. More importantly and as predicted, retirement has meant less discretionary income, and I had best be a little more careful with a dollar, no easy task for a habitual spendthrift.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:19 pm

I'm waiting until the U. S. release date. Hopefully, some third party sellers on Amazon will lower the price. MDT has raised their cost to 291 pounds; still a bit much for me. Somehow, I suspect that the Russians will press more than 1000 copies if it proves to be a popular item.

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:57 pm

maestrob wrote:I'm waiting until the U. S. release date. Hopefully, some third party sellers on Amazon will lower the price. MDT has raised their cost to 291 pounds; still a bit much for me. Somehow, I suspect that the Russians will press more than 1000 copies if it proves to be a popular item.
What was MDT's price originally?
George

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:58 pm

New copies on eBay are as low as $345 right now: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... n&_sacat=0
George

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:35 am

gperkins151 wrote:
maestrob wrote:I'm waiting until the U. S. release date. Hopefully, some third party sellers on Amazon will lower the price. MDT has raised their cost to 291 pounds; still a bit much for me. Somehow, I suspect that the Russians will press more than 1000 copies if it proves to be a popular item.
255 or thereabouts before Christmas, IIRC.

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:37 pm

maestrob wrote:
gperkins151 wrote:
Wow, so my girlfriend got a great deal! Thanks.

By the way, MDT (and three other owners of this set) have confirmed that all of their copies have the same ink-bleed defect, documented by my photos above. And I own a very late number (872/1000), so I suspect that all copies have been printed the same defect.
George

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Yes, other than the outside box, it appears it was a "fast" printing job. But, nevertheless, IF only 1,000 copies are being made available ... and most pianophiles have much of Richter's live and commercial recordings, Richter fans will want to have these live performances. Sonically, most of them are very good remasterings. No doubt this will be an highly collectible set at some time down the road. Only 1,000 copies for all the Richter fans in the world is not very many. The value is far less important than the musical content. It was the ONLY Christmas present I bought for myself! (Do you believe that???)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:42 am

Lance wrote:Yes, other than the outside box, it appears it was a "fast" printing job.
Thanks for confirming, Lance!
But, nevertheless, IF only 1,000 copies are being made available ... and most pianophiles have much of Richter's live and commercial recordings, Richter fans will want to have these live performances. Sonically, most of them are very good remasterings.
Absolutely! I have all of the big Richter boxes and I feel this is the best one, performance/content-wise. The sound, as you say, is very good as well. Which makes it a shame that it is a limited edition set. IMO, this should have been a $150, non-limited edition set.
No doubt this will be an highly collectible set at some time down the road. Only 1,000 copies for all the Richter fans in the world is not very many. The value is far less important than the musical content. It was the ONLY Christmas present I bought for myself! (Do you believe that???)
It was the best one I got! My girlfriend completely surprised me with it on Christmas day!
George

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:50 pm

Lots of hits on Sviatoslav! I wonder just how many people will be seeking this set. It should never have been produced in a limited edition. What may happen is that the discs may be made available one-by-one. Richter shall never die.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:54 am

I made an unboxing video for youtube, in case people want to get a look at this set:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gp2FaPnQ3kM
George

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:24 am

Thanks! That was helpful.

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:36 pm

maestrob wrote:Thanks! That was helpful.
Glad to help!
George

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:45 am

ok, i DON'T CONSIDER MYSELF A COLLECTOR, BECAUSE IF i DID, i'D HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER APARTMENT TO HOUSE ALL THE cdS i WANT.

However, occasionally, now, these delectable, tempting box sets arrive on the scene that are just too attractive to pass up. Therefore, I've ordered the Richter Melodiya set for $452 from classical music store via amazon, which seems like a fair price, given all the years of joy the set will offer.

So, hallelujah, it's done, after much agonizing over the price and bad printing. This IS a true collector's item, and I'll be proud to have it on my shelves.

Can't wait......... 8)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:31 pm

Good for you, Brian. I truly hope you receive it given only 1,000 sets being made. There are countless Richter followers across the globe. Melodiya must have made a mistake in making available only 1,000 sets. You shan't be sorry!
maestrob wrote:ok, i DON'T CONSIDER MYSELF A COLLECTOR, BECAUSE IF i DID, i'D HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER APARTMENT TO HOUSE ALL THE cdS i WANT.

However, occasionally, now, these delectable, tempting box sets arrive on the scene that are just too attractive to pass up. Therefore, I've ordered the Richter Melodiya set for $452 from classical music store via amazon, which seems like a fair price, given all the years of joy the set will offer.

So, hallelujah, it's done, after much agonizing over the price and bad printing. This IS a true collector's item, and I'll be proud to have it on my shelves.

Can't wait......... 8)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:54 pm

I've decided against it on financial grounds and because I just got the 50-CD Richter box from Universal and haven't listened to all of that yet.
Besides that, the postman has brought me in January the complete Stravinsky conducts Stravinsky (the 56-CD set I asked advice about earlier), the complete Gilels (24CDs) and the complete Brendel on Philips (114 CDs), and I am about to get the Warner box of Schwarzkopf recitals.
Bliss indeed.

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:41 pm

maestrob wrote:ok, i DON'T CONSIDER MYSELF A COLLECTOR, BECAUSE IF i DID, i'D HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER APARTMENT TO HOUSE ALL THE cdS i WANT.

Can't wait......... 8)
Congrats! :)
George

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:49 pm

maestrob wrote:
gperkins151 wrote:
As I read this again, I realize you meant 255 pounds. Is that correct? (Originally, I thought you meant 255 US Dollars)
George

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:44 pm

gperkins151 wrote:
maestrob wrote:
gperkins151 wrote:
As I read this again, I realize you meant 255 pounds. Is that correct? (Originally, I thought you meant 255 US Dollars)
Yes, that's what I meant: 255 pounds. They sure changed that quickly enough!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:12 am

Lance wrote:Good for you, Brian. I truly hope you receive it given only 1,000 sets being made. There are countless Richter followers across the globe. Melodiya must have made a mistake in making available only 1,000 sets. You shan't be sorry!

Can't wait......... 8)
Thanks Lance! I just got the email notice that it's been shipped, so I shouldhave the box in hand next week, hopefully!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:33 am

Can't believe it: 895 hits on this thread! Richter still commands attention!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:40 pm

Lance wrote:Can't believe it: 895 hits on this thread! Richter still commands attention!
And rightly so!
George

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:30 am

My set just arrived, in beautiful condition, packed carefully by classical music store in a much larger box.

Can't wait to get started........

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:51 pm

Congratulations! You will love it.
maestrob wrote:My set just arrived, in beautiful condition, packed carefully by classical music store in a much larger box.

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:05 pm

maestrob wrote:My set just arrived, in beautiful condition, packed carefully by classical music store in a much larger box.

Congrats!

Can you please see my images earlier in the thread and tell me if your CD cases look the same (ink smudging and bleed-through)?
George

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Well, I finally opened the box, and found two curious things. First, they included a white carrying bag with the Melodiya logo and the text "100th Anniversary Richter Edition" printed in black. Second, there was no numbered certificate of authenticity.

I did see some printing glitches on the CD covers (I haven't examined all of them), and even noticed a small bubble on the printing of one of the actual CDs. These glitches are seemingly in all of the sets (shame on the Russians), so there's no point in returning the set. Disappointing, to say the least.

I'll begin playing the set shortly. Even with the discount, I'm unhappy about the quality of the printing, but that's not enough to ruin the joy I feel at having acquired the set.

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:25 pm

maestrob wrote:Well, I finally opened the box, and found two curious things. First, they included a white carrying bag with the Melodiya logo and the text "100th Anniversary Richter Edition" printed in black. Second, there was no numbered certificate of authenticity.
Sorry to hear that! I assume you looked in the front and back of the box?
I did see some printing glitches on the CD covers (I haven't examined all of them), and even noticed a small bubble on the printing of one of the actual CDs. These glitches are seemingly in all of the sets (shame on the Russians), so there's no point in returning the set. Disappointing, to say the least.
Indeed!
I'll begin playing the set shortly. Even with the discount, I'm unhappy about the quality of the printing, but that's not enough to ruin the joy I feel at having acquired the set.
Glad to hear it!
George