Question on getting rid of my classical CDs

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Wallingford

Question on getting rid of my classical CDs

Post by Wallingford » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:00 pm

These weeks I've been boxing up belongings for an impending move, to smaller quarters. I've done a lot of pruning down of my stuff, particularly my CD library. I've ripped copious quantities of these to my laptop--both commercial discs and CD-Rs. When I phoned various CD outlets about the possibility of selling the legit commercial releases, I was told that today's kids go for downloads; quite understandable. And when I phoned Princeton Record Exchange, one of the few places to bring the classical discs, they said they only bought huge collections. With no music store within a 70-mile radius of this residence, my only potential recourse would be selling them over Amazon, except that you need a Visa debit card account for depositing the funds--and I don't want to open up a second checking account just for that (too high a monthly maintenance charge, cutting quickly into my profits).

So I'm bouncing an idea off of you folks: what about posting a list here of my commercial discs (they've been very well kept, played only two or three times--and I'll supply new cases for the cases that were cracked)? I'd let them go for maybe $5 - $6 a pop. I've got some good historical issues, in addition to conventional repertory.

I've set up a big black garbage bag into which I'm tossing the CD-Rs, which I loathe having to do. I always want something physical or concrete around, just so I'll know it's there. But this is my only compromise. I hate having to do the same thing with my legit classical discs. (It's not so bad with my pop discs, which I can donate to the local library sale.) But not enough people around here are cultured enough that I'd just give away the classicals.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

maestrob

Re: Question on getting rid of my classical CDs

Post by maestrob » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:09 pm

They only buy huge collections?????? Good grief! What a lame excuse.

You might try Academy Records........

http://www.academy-lps.com/

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:07 pm

If you want to post it here, or send it by PM to me, I will avidly peruse them and see what I want. Keep in mind, though, I may already have quite a few of the ones you have. You also might want to find a classical music radio station or an NPR station that will play them and just donate them and take a tax deduction. I have willed my collection to an NPR station in Garden City, Kansas. I did so because a number of years ago, that community was beset by KKK and neo-Nazi organizers who were anti-immigration types--their targets were Vietnamese refugees coming there and also Mexican farm workers. The community responded appropriately by counter-organizing against them, so much so that they won a recognition award from the Southern Poverty Law Center. I think communities like that deserve recognition and bequests.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Beckmesser

Post by Beckmesser » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:02 pm

Could you donate them to a public library in your area?

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:59 pm

You can donate to a college library, especially music schools and you will feel good that young music students will be listening to classical music in the future. 8)

Regards,
Mel 8)