Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla New Music Director in Birmingham (UK)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Modernistfan

Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla New Music Director in Birmingham (UK)

Post by Modernistfan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:46 pm

The 29-year-old Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla has just been named as the new music director of the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra (CBSO). This is perhaps the most important post in the United Kingdom outside the London orchestras, and where both Simon Rattle and Andris Nelsons got their start. She is definitely on her way up. Also, she is not afraid to go outside the standard repertoire, in a recent appearance with the Los Angeles Philharmonic, she conducted a suite from Moisei Weinberg's ballet "The Golden Key."

Unfortunately, on the website "Slipped Disc," we are again hearing from the "women can't conduct" crowd. It is a shame that this is still occurring in 2016.

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Re: Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla New Music Director in Birmingham (U

Post by stenka razin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:52 pm

An impressive young conductor on her way up the ladder. All you need to know in the link below.

Regards,
Mel 8)

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/f ... m-symphony

P.S. I look forward to hearing her 1st recording with the wonderful City Of Birmingham Symphony. 8)

John F

Post by John F » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:14 am

Looks like the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra has been Balticized - first a Latvian, now a Lithuanian. They haven't had an English music director since Simon Rattle left nearly 20 years ago.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks for the article, Mel. She sounds like a real find! Can't wait to hear her on disc. If she has the chops to get Mahler I right, then she can handle most anything, I think.