11/20/14 Centennial Tribute To Jorge Bolet

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Donald Isler

11/20/14 Centennial Tribute To Jorge Bolet

Post by Donald Isler » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:57 pm

with Joe Patrych and Jon Samuels. Introduced by Seth Winner. Includes video and numerous audio examples of Bolet's playing.

https://youtu.be/iIV-ETV7tVQ
Donald Isler

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Re: 11/20/14 Centennial Tribute To Jorge Bolet

Post by stenka razin » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:46 pm

Bolet was one of my favorite pianists of the past century. I saw him on many occasions and he was always a titan of the keyboard. His Liszt was sensational and he cut a huge figure on stage. Unforgettable and brilliant. Every good CD collection deserves some Bolet.

Regards,
Mel 8)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:29 am

At the risk of repeating myself, Bolet was a client of mine at the NYAC (New York Athletic Club) during the 1980's: he would buy a fresh formal shirt from me every time he played in NY for good luck. One day, after a concert in Carnegie Hall with a certain orchestra did not go well, he furiously confided in me his negative opinion of the conductor involved. Some hours later, obviously chastened for losing his temper, he came back and retracted every word! Shows even the giants are human, eh? :mrgreen:

Bolet sadly died of AIDS soon after. A brilliant man, with an awesome technique, Liszt and Rachmaninoff were only the beginning of his wide repertoire.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:47 pm

Heard him several times live, both with orchestra and in recital. He may have played the most encores I have ever heard in my life in a single concert: some 45 minutes worth of Liszt.