Penderecki Conducts Penderecki on Warner Classics

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Modernistfan

Penderecki Conducts Penderecki on Warner Classics

Post by Modernistfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:36 pm

Maybe the majors are not quite dead. According to the German online seller jpc, there is a new CD from Warner Classics entitled "Penderecki Conducts Penderecki, Volume 1." On this CD are Dies Illa for Soloists, Chorus and Orchestra (2014); Hymn to St. Daniil for Chorus and Orchestra (1997); Hymn to St. Adalbert for Chorus and Orchestra (1997), and Psalms of David for Chorus & Percussion (1958). The orchestra is the Warsaw Philharmonic, with the Warsaw Philharmonic Chorus and various soloists. Some of these pieces, I believe, have not yet been recorded (Penderecki has sure written an awful lot of choral music). I shall definitely get this and can barely wait for Volume 2. I expected to see something like this on Naxos or the Polish label Dux, both of which labels have recorded quite a bit of Penderecki, and am rather surprised to see this on Warner Classics. Apparently, there may be further recordings from the Warsaw Philharmonic due to an arrangement with Warner.