INTERNATIONAL OPERA AWARDS 2016 WINNERS

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

INTERNATIONAL OPERA AWARDS 2016 WINNERS

Post by lennygoran » Mon May 16, 2016 3:59 am

FWIW. Regards, Len

INTERNATIONAL OPERA AWARDS 2016 WINNERS ANNOUNCED

On Sunday 15 May 2016 at The Savoy Theatre, London, the winners of the International Opera Awards were announced in a ceremony hosted by BBC Radio 3 presenter Petroc Trelawny.

Opera stars and supporters gathered for an evening celebrating excellence in opera, as well as raising funds for the Opera Awards Foundation – a trust which aims to help those at the start of their opera careers.

Live performances on the night came from Readers’ Award winner Ermonela Jaho, Male Singer winner Gregory Kunde and winner of the CD Operatic Recital award Ann Hallenberg, all accompanied by Roger Vignoles on a piano kindly provided by Markson Pianos. Also performing was past winner Anna Bonitatibus singing Garcia’s "Già il perfido discese … Al mio pregar t’arrendi" from Semiramis. Kate Howden (mezzo soprano) and William Morgan (tenor), both 2016 National Opera Studio Young Artists, performed ‘Un soave non so che’ from Rossini’s La Cenerentola, accompanied by Ben-San Lau.

The International Opera Awards, in association with Opera Magazine is sponsored by The Nexus Group.

The Winners

Accessibility
The Opera Platform

CD Complete Opera
Les Martyrs (Opera Rara)

CD Operatic Recital
Ann Hallenberg: Agrippina (DHM)

Chorus
English National Opera

Conductor
Gianandrea Noseda

Designer
Vicki Mortimer

Director
Laurent Pelly

DVD
The Tsar's Bride (Bel Air)

Female Singer
Mariella Devia

Festival
Glyndebourne

Lifetime Achievement
Brigitte Fassbaender

Male Singer
Gregory Kunde

New Production
Peter Grimes (Theater an der Wien)

Opera Company
Dutch National Opera

Philanthropists
Bill & Judy Bollinger
Christine Collins

Rediscovered Work
Le Roi Carotte (Opéra de Lyon)

World Premiere
Cold Mountain (Santa Fe Opera)

Young Conductor
Giacomo Sagripanti

Young Director
Fabio Ceresa

Young Female Singer
Asmik Grigorian

Young Male Singer
Stanislas de Barbeyrac

Readers’ Award Winner
Ermonela Jaho

http://www.operaawards.org/news/

John F

Re: INTERNATIONAL OPERA AWARDS 2016 WINNERS

Post by John F » Mon May 16, 2016 6:22 am

Thanks for finding this, Lenny.

For something with such a grand title, "International Opera Awards," I'd expect to have heard of it before, but not. For one thing, it's quite new - the first awards were in 2012. For another, the awards are not decided by a recognized organization, as (for example) the Oscars and Tonys are. The Opera Awards Foundation was created in 2012 by the editor of the British "Opera" magazine since 2000, John Allison, and Harry Hyman, an English real estate mogul whose personal wealth and contacts doubtless were essential to starting up the Foundation, though now it depends on contributions by a sizable number of supporters.

The Foundation's British orientation is reflected in its awards, which no doubt bear a relationship to the reportage and reviews in "Opera" magazine. A truly international awards jury would surely not have picked the English National Opera chorus and a production of "Peter Grimes" as the best of the year. But that's OK. The important thing is that those who are chosen be deserving and their awards not only serve them but opera generally. At a time when the English National Opera is losing its long-time government support, and its chorus and orchestra may have to be cut to a small core supplemented by freelancers, they can not only use the prize money but benefit from the recognition of their importance and excellence.

I'm also happy to see that the foundation's largesse isn't limited to the annual cream of the crop, but also benefits young artists. I'll quote extensively from their Web site:
The Opera Awards Foundation will advance the education of the public in the art of opera in particular by the provision of bursaries or grants to individuals, groups of individuals or other charitable organisations. Bursaries or grants will be made based on financial need to worthy recipients who need further training or other assistance in the development of their careers in opera. Suitable recipients will include singers, conductors and répétiteurs or those operating in associated professions, including directors and set-, costume- and lighting-designers.

• Recognize the artistic talents of individuals within opera who have a financial need
• Provide opportunities to develop and display these talents
• Provide bursaries and grants to the identified individuals
• Support institutions that promote youth involvement in opera
• Seek private funds to help meet the Foundations objectives
• Continue to promote and educate the public in Opera
• Through the Foundation's Awards Ceremony provide a showcase for recognition of talented individuals
The number of bursary recipients varies from year to year, and most of them are British or from the commonwealth, but not all. The 2016 recipients haven't yet been announced, but the class of 2015 included a Turkish soprano, a Hungarian tenor, and a Portuguese baritone.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon May 16, 2016 7:44 am

John I wanted to find out more about this work:

Rediscovered Work
Le Roi Carotte (Opéra de Lyon)

The whole opera is available at you tube but the surtitles are only in French. :( I looked at a little of it but I don't know about the production--seems a bit way out?

Opera News gave it quite a review though! Regards, Len

http://www.operanews.com/Opera_News_Mag ... rotte.html

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon May 16, 2016 11:19 am

I was pleased to see Mariella Devia's name on this list. I believe her to have an extraordinary voice. Seems she should be much more well known than she I among vocal afficianodos. I've tried to acquire all her recordings, and even presented a radio broadcast on her recently.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 16, 2016 1:00 pm

I was pleased to see Ann Hallenberg and Anna Bonitatibus both mentioned in the article: both have made recent excellent recital discs, helping along the revival of rare Baroque composers.

Thanks Len for bringing this to our attention!

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Tue May 17, 2016 8:46 pm

Len, I was overjoyed at your info about an opera by Offenbach that I had never heard of. Thank you, my friend. :D

Regards,
Mel 8)

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Wed May 18, 2016 12:49 am

I am also a big fan of Mariella Devia's. The last time I heard her live was a couple of years ago in the OONY performance of Roberto Devereux at the Carnegie Hall. At her tender age of 65 at the time, she was absolutely phenomenal. So, obviously I'm very happy for her and for the recognition her amazing vocal talent is finally getting.

As for the rest of the awards, I find most of them peculiar, at best, with The Tsar's Bride horrendous production named the DVD of the year - absolutely mind-boggling.

In any case, whatever their shortcomings might be, it's better to have yearly Opera Awards, than not to have them. Strictly imho, of course.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed May 18, 2016 5:19 am

stenka razin wrote:Len, I was overjoyed at your info about an opera by Offenbach that I had never heard of. Thank you, my friend. :D

Regards,
Mel 8)
Mel I'd love to see it too and would hope for surtitles in English. Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Wed May 18, 2016 6:35 am

Len_Z wrote:it's better to have yearly Opera Awards, than not to have them
People will always disagree about awards based on opinions rather than facts - that goes without saying. But the Foundation's awards, though they get the publicity, are just the froth on the cappuccino; what really matters and makes a difference is their bursaries to deserving young artists.
John Francis