I hear Schnabel's 32 Beethoven sonatas ...

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

I hear Schnabel's 32 Beethoven sonatas ...

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Schnabel's 32 Beethoven sonatas originally recorded for HMV has been completely remastered on eight CDs and is being offered by Warner Classics for as little as $22/USD for the set. I cringe when I think of what I paid for the original EMI CD set! I also had these sonatas in a stunning mega-boxed LP set my wife gave me as a birthday present before we were married. They came out again on Seraphim, then the Germans issued them on DMM Electrola discs with the best sound to be heard on LP, and then CDs began popping up all over on various labels, Naxos, among others. The one thing I always marveled about Schnabel's sound was the manner in which his glorious Bechstein piano was recorded (same for Edwin Fischer). Those pianos at the time lent themselves beautifully to the music of Mozart, Schubert and Beethoven.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Donald Isler

Re: I hear Schnabel's 32 Beethoven sonatas ...

Post by Donald Isler » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:06 pm

A bargain! Though I also have them on CD (though I forget on which reissue) I still hold onto my LP's of the complete set, a high school graduation present from my parents. (Even though the turntable no longer works!)
Donald Isler

gperkins151

Re: I hear Schnabel's 32 Beethoven sonatas ...

Post by gperkins151 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:59 pm

Anyone know who did these transfers? And/or what source was used for the new masterings?
George