Wuorinen's Eighth Symphony and Fourth Piano Concerto

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Modernistfan

Wuorinen's Eighth Symphony and Fourth Piano Concerto

Post by Modernistfan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:46 pm

Finally, we are getting a recording of Charles Wuorinen's Eighth Symphony ("Theologoumena") and Fourth Piano Concerto on Bridge, due out in September. This is with James Levine and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, with Peter Serkin as soloist in the piano concerto. (I have absolutely no idea what the heck "Theologoumena" means, but I certainly will get this recording.)

maestrob

Re: Wuorinen's Eighth Symphony and Fourth Piano Concerto

Post by maestrob » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:21 pm

Modernistfan wrote:Finally, we are getting a recording of Charles Wuorinen's Eighth Symphony ("Theologoumena") and Fourth Piano Concerto on Bridge, due out in September. This is with James Levine and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, with Peter Serkin as soloist in the piano concerto. (I have absolutely no idea what the heck "Theologoumena" means, but I certainly will get this recording.)
I'm glad Peter Serkin got to record this. He's been an outstanding advocate of contemporary music for many years, and he deserves the recognition, as, of course, does Levine.

Theologoumena is the plural of theologoumenon, which, by definition has to do with an individual's own religious opinion, rather than doctrine.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:29 pm

It is a shame that the major labels are no longer interested in recording someone like Peter Serkin in repertoire that interests him. He has even shown up on Naxos (recording works by Alexander Goehr, Wuorinen, and Bright Sheng). I shall definitely get this recording, no matter what "Theologoumena" means (thanks for the explanation). We need more Wuorinen recordings!

John F

Post by John F » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:39 pm

The major labels (if they still are major) have been like that for a long time, ever since the '70s. The days when RCA Victor would record Elliott Carter's piano concerto and Easley Blackwood's symphony with the Boston Symphony are a distant memory. New World Records used to take up some of the slack for contemporary American composers, but I guess they're out of business.
John Francis

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:41 pm

New World is still very much in business, and they took over CRI and have reissued most of the CRI recordings not previously re-released as "burn-to-order" CDs. Also, Innova has been issuing a lot of contemporary American music.

John F

Post by John F » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:31 am

Excellent!
John Francis

LSAmadeus

Post by LSAmadeus » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:16 am

Never heard of him. A contemporary composer?
'An artist must have the freedom to express himself' - Edward Weston

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:13 am

maestrob wrote:
Modernistfan wrote:Finally, we are getting a recording of Charles Wuorinen's Eighth Symphony ("Theologoumena") and Fourth Piano Concerto on Bridge, due out in September. This is with James Levine and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, with Peter Serkin as soloist in the piano concerto. (I have absolutely no idea what the heck "Theologoumena" means, but I certainly will get this recording.)
I'm glad Peter Serkin got to record this. He's been an outstanding advocate of contemporary music for many years, and he deserves the recognition, as, of course, does Levine.
I expect these are simply (!) the recordings made live at the première performances, which were wonderful. Yes, about time they were made available to the listening public!

Cheers,
~k.
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/