Emil Gilels: Melodiya is issuing a biggie like the Richter!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Emil Gilels: Melodiya is issuing a biggie like the Richter!

Post by Lance » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:20 pm

I just learned from a Russian pianist friend that Melodiya of Russia is issuing a 50-CD set in the manner of the one released honoring Sviatoslav Richter. It is allegedly going to be issued in 2,000 sets as a limited edition. I'm not sure of the release date, but this wonderful friend is going to secure a copy for himself and one for me, from Russia. I am keeping fingers and legs crossed for this one!

Speaking of Gilels, anybody heard the live Seattle recital on DGG? I have one coming, but it is generally material Gilels has recorded numerous times. Still, live!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Emil Gilels: Melodiya is issuing a biggie like the Richt

Post by maestrob » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:32 pm

Wow! Not much interest in Gilels? :shock:

John F

Post by John F » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:05 pm

From me, not so much. He was certainly a formidable player but not, I think, a particularly imaginative or individual one.
John Francis

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:26 am

Anyone have a tracklist?
George

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:40 am

No, haven't seen a tracklist as yet, only heard the announcement from a Russian pianist who maintains regular contact with Russia directly. No doubt it will contain a lot of repertoire we already know by him. however, in Russia, he performed and recorded a lot of repertoire he never played publicly, solos, chamber works and concertos. Gilels has always ranked high on my own list of pianists. It seems I heard that he made the comment that "if you think I'm good, wait until you hear Richter!" (or something to that effect).

gperkins151 wrote:Anyone have a tracklist?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:55 pm

Here it is: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Melo ... LCD1002433
George

gperkins151

Post by gperkins151 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:56 pm

Lance wrote:No, haven't seen a tracklist as yet, only heard the announcement from a Russian pianist who maintains regular contact with Russia directly. No doubt it will contain a lot of repertoire we already know by him. however, in Russia, he performed and recorded a lot of repertoire he never played publicly, solos, chamber works and concertos. Gilels has always ranked high on my own list of pianists. It seems I heard that he made the comment that "if you think I'm good, wait until you hear Richter!" (or something to that effect).
Yes, I have heard that too. And I agree with him. While I enjoy his playing, I don't know if I like it enough to lay out a big sum for this new set.
George

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:19 pm

gperkins151 wrote:
Here it is: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Melo ... LCD1002433
A heck of a lot of repeated repertoire and at the same time many outstanding performances missing. For example, Gilels famed Moscow 'Appassionata' of 1960, is not there. There are others as well. I can't see myself buying this set.

John F

Post by John F » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:18 pm

Looks like they've omitted the duo recordings with Yakov Zak, an important pianist hardly known outside the Soviet Union. The Mozart double concerto is good and has a couple of anonymous and anachronistic cadenzas.
John Francis

barney

Post by barney » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:16 pm

I just got his complete DG recordings (24 C Ds) in January. I don't think I will lash out on this set. I do like Gilels a great deal, but I think I have enough. I might cherry pick individual CDs in future, but no more big sets of Gilels.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:33 am

I understand completely. It's like Horowitz, whom I adore ... so much repeated material, but then no two Horowitz performances were ever the same. Same with Emil Gilels, only here, there will most likely be many performances recorded live that were otherwise never released not to mention much material on 78s when he recorded in Russia early-on. The problem with avid collectors is that if they don't get something upon release for an artist greatly admired, they always wish the HAD it at their disposal, particularly if you really want to study the work of a performing artist. That's ME! [Not to mention that it would be nice to win a big fat lottery! :(
barney wrote:I just got his complete DG recordings (24 C Ds) in January. I don't think I will lash out on this set. I do like Gilels a great deal, but I think I have enough. I might cherry pick individual CDs in future, but no more big sets of Gilels.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:26 pm

Lance wrote:I understand completely. It's like Horowitz, whom I adore ... so much repeated material, but then no two Horowitz performances were ever the same. Same with Emil Gilels, only here, there will most likely be many performances recorded live that were otherwise never released not to mention much material on 78s when he recorded in Russia early-on. The problem with avid collectors is that if they don't get something upon release for an artist greatly admired, they always wish the HAD it at their disposal, particularly if you really want to study the work of a performing artist. That's ME! [Not to mention that it would be nice to win a big fat lottery! :(
barney wrote:I just got his complete DG recordings (24 C Ds) in January. I don't think I will lash out on this set. I do like Gilels a great deal, but I think I have enough. I might cherry pick individual CDs in future, but no more big sets of Gilels.
And I entirely understand that! :)
I've always been something of a completist, but the new shelves I got at the start of the year are already full, my wife is complaining and - most important - I have hundreds and hundreds of CDs I haven't listened to yet. Universal just sent me another 50 CD set on which I already have 45 of the recordings. Do you keep for the 5? I used to say yes, now I am less inclined to.
And there is going to be a new 200-CD complete Mozart edition, with "almost no" overlap from the last. I might post on that separately...

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:05 pm

Hi Barney, great to see you here! Storage is always a problem. You get everything organized and a few months later, the problem arises again. The even larger problem is the release of all these huge mega-sets major companies are releasing, not to mention Brilliant, who licences from other labels mostly. Given the number of CDs, the costs are usually a bargain when compared to buying the original, separate CDs. The only thing I can suggest is to keep the mega-sets, and unload (through Amazon third party or eBay) the originals you have acquired. Insofar as notes are concerned, just about anything you need to know about a piece of music can be found on the Internet though I do like to read original liner notes that generally do not accompany the mega-sets. And storing the mega-sets is more of a problem than individual CDs or double- or triple sets because of the size of the big sets, and different shapes. In any event, it is grand, certainly, to have so much of this material available from the great era of classical music recording by incomparable artists.
barney wrote:And I entirely understand that! :)
I've always been something of a completist, but the new shelves I got at the start of the year are already full, my wife is complaining and - most important - I have hundreds and hundreds of CDs I haven't listened to yet. Universal just sent me another 50 CD set on which I already have 45 of the recordings. Do you keep for the 5? I used to say yes, now I am less inclined to.
And there is going to be a new 200-CD complete Mozart edition, with "almost no" overlap from the last. I might post on that separately...
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief