Listening vs. Watching: Your Preference

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

IcedNote

Listening vs. Watching: Your Preference

Post by IcedNote » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:55 am

Hello, rowdy CMGers! How goes?

I was thinking about this this morning and thought I'd ask: How do you consume most of your classical music outside of the concert hall? Do you sit in a room and listen to CDs? Do you listen to streaming? Do you prefer to watch DVDs? Do you prefer to watch YouTube videos? Or, like me, do you actually just listen to YouTube videos?

As I stated above, I do most of my listening via YouTube. While I'm at work, I search for something on YouTube, hit play, and then let it run in the background. I mean, it's an endless resource as you all well know.

So how about you?

-G
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Listening vs. Watching: Your Preference

Post by Lance » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:00 am

Outside the concert hall, it's listening to CDs (in some cases rare LPs). Since music is mostly about "listening," (outside of opera, of course, but even then ...) watching DVDs would occupy far too much time, and on most TV setups, the sound is only fair unless you have invested in sound for the TV as well. For me, listening is the way to go. I do watch some DVDs of great music-makers from time-to-time as well but only a tiny fraction of actually listening to music via CD. Insofar as YouTube is concerned, I check that out but usually only for historical performances of an artist.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Hi Garrett & Lance!

We watch one opera each week on DVD, and the rest of the time is spent listening to CDs, either on the computer through headphones for a more concentrated experience, or through my stereo system as background music (Mozart, Chopin, Haydn, Liszt, etc.) The heavier symphonies and other works that require concentration I prefer to use headphones, except for telecasts. I do have TV sound hooked up to the stereo, which provides a high fidelity experience for movies as well.

Some CDs I like to listen to with a score on my stereo when I'm studying a new performance of a work.

John F

Post by John F » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:37 pm

I don't listen so much to my own records nowadays. Home listening is mainly by YouTube, sometimes on cable TV when it's available.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:20 pm

IcedNote wrote:
So how about you?

-G
For me it's mostly listening on either CD, cassettes or LPs. Regards, Len

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:08 am

At home: CDs, vinyl, radio, or cable TV (usually while doing something else which doesn't require great concentration)

In the car: radio

While walking: iPhone

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:24 pm

Strange how one can multi-task while LISTENING to classical music (or perhaps any music). I do this a lot auditioning recordings while on the computer, sometimes reading, etc., and find myself listening more intently than I thought I was, and immediately pickup on something that stands out in an interpretation.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:30 am

My favourite way to relax is to play CDs from my classical CD collection while playing one of 50 varieties of Free Cell on my big screen TV from www.freecell.net.

Aside from that, I subscribe to the Berlin Philharmonic in HD video and sound from www.digitalconcerthall.com.
I've also recently added Mezzo TV to my cable package, given that it now costs only $2 per month here in Canada.

Downstairs I also play CDs while working on the computer. There, I also listen to any one of a dozen classical music radio stations. My favourites are ABC FM in Australia, Radio 4 in the Netherlands, and Radio Suisse Classique. I used to listen to BBC 3 quite a lot, but now have difficulty working it in. I also access these stations on my Sangean Internet Radio at my office, although for much of my work I need quiet.