And the Colorado Symphony moves further in this direction...

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Wallingford

And the Colorado Symphony moves further in this direction...

Post by Wallingford » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:35 pm

If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

John F

Re: And the Colorado Symphony moves further in this directio

Post by John F » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:15 pm

The Colorado Symphony is based in a city that has not supported its symphony orchestras well in the last 30 years. Its precursor, the Denver Symphony, founded as recently as 1934, went bust in 1990, after several seasons in which weeks of concerts were canceled for financial reasons. This left Denver with a newly built concert hall but no orchestra in it. Promptly reorganized as the Colorado Symphony, with its management vested in the players, they hired Marin Alsop who built audiences in Denver as she was later to do in Baltimore. But with her departure in 2005, and Jeffrey Kahane's brief tenure until he resigned for health reasons, attendance began to slip again, and perhaps the players foresaw another decline and fall. No doubt they know their audience better than we do.

Hiring an unknown but cheap conductor, though no doubt a competent one, and half-converting to a pops orchestra (three of the season's first four weeks feature pop or comedy acts), seem to me desperate moves to preserve the players' jobs at the cost of the orchestra's artistic mission and integrity. If Denver and the nearby university towns will support only this kind of programming, so be it. But let's not kid ourselves that it creates a new audience for classical music. Rather the reverse: it gives up on classical music and surrenders to the audience's non-classical taste, committing to popular entertainment instead of art. Which I think is a terrible shame.
John Francis