What I've noticed in doing posts ...

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

What I've noticed in doing posts ...

Post by Lance » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:04 am

With Windows 10 on my computer, I have learned it fairly fast. But some things are happening I don't particularly like. For example, when I want to show photos of CD covers, etc., I am unable to collect the "properties" from either Bing or Microsoft's latest browser (which doesn't do well for me anyway). Nor can I get "properties" of pictures from, say Amazon, through Google since properties do not show up since the Windows 10 upgrade. The ONLY way I can get properties, so I've learned, is to simply go to the original, older Microsoft Explorer in which case the word "properties" shows up very nicely so I can scan from Amazon or elsewhere and simply paste it on my CMG post.

Further, I like to show the accents if possible on musician's or composer's names. I have always been able to do that using ALT + letter code before Windows 10. I can now only do that with certain characters as not all of them are acceptable. When I try to use ALT + a code for an accented letter, the screen comes back to a blank page. Very frustrating if you have already typed a well-thought-out post. Possibly the only way to get the accents properly and without worry to losing what you wrote (it never really goes well when you rewrite it because of frustration), is to type it in Word, copy it, and THEN paste it on the post it on CMG.

So, you gurus out there, is there a fix for this or shall I do it the hard way by writing longer posts on Word then copying to CMG?

Not a musical subject in this part of CMG, but it may be helpful for others if they are having the same problems.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: What I've noticed in doing posts ...

Post by John F » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:36 am

You're using Windows 10, which I don't know at all. I'm still running Windows XP on my own computer, and while the computers at the library are on Windows 7, mere users like me are locked out of changing the settings. So I can give general suggestions, but can't tell you how to make them work in Win10.

It sounds like you're dissatisfied with your web browser, and have reverted to the superseded Windows browser Internet Explorer. There's another, better option: switch to Firefox, the free browser from Mozilla which is completely up to date for security and functionality, but still uses the familiar ways of doing things that you're used to. You can download it here:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Setup couldn't be easier.

You'll have noticed that I manage to get most of the foreign diacritical marks into my posts, but I do it without benefit of knowing the numeric codes. The trick is to change your keyboard setting from US to US-International. I've found instructions on the Microsoft site for doing this in Windows 10:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 13a?auth=1

When this is done, you'll find that some punctuation keys do double duty as accent keys. For example, " provides the umlaut. Type " and nothing will appear, then type o and you'll see ö. A guide for doing this is here:

http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/ ... tml#accent

This doesn't cover all the accented characters available in Windows. For ø you'll still have to use the Alt-xxx method. But most of the time the international keyboard will provide what you need.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Lance, I'm no guru, but in Windows 10, Google Chrome is my preferred browser. For posting images, simply right-click the image, and select "copy image properties." It's as easy as that! :)

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:52 pm

I upgraded to 10 just under the wire (before I'd have had to pay for it), and I've since had some luck picking up Wi-Fi in the complex I'm in, though it fritzes out on me all the time.

There's I site I just newly joined where I post extensively, and I find I have to compose it on Word first or else get unexpectedly blipped out.
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:23 am

Thank you, all, for your input. I will check into these comments. Some "improvements" when new software becomes available is NOT improvement in some ways.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:02 am

I have no intention of upgrading to Windows 10 until absolutely forced to. Too many glitches. But I can't really get updates because they are set up for Windows 10, and 7 just goes into a permanent loop when I try.

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:25 am

barney wrote:I have no intention of upgrading to Windows 10 until absolutely forced to. Too many glitches.
It's always worked fine for me, at least with my new H-P machine. My older Dell Inspiron had trouble with 10 when it was first pushed out.

To chime in on Lance's question, Google Chrome is likewise my preferred browser.

Cheers,
~k.
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

barney

Post by barney » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:55 am

I use all 3 main browsers: Firefox, Chrome and Explorer in that order. I share bookmarks. It's because I leave so many windows open at once.

John F

Post by John F » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:14 am

Google Chrome is too bare-bones for me. After years of using Firefox, with its abundance of add-ons to customize its featurea and its look, I've been spoiled for browsers that offer less.
John Francis