San Francisco Symphony Cancels North Carolina Concerts

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

San Francisco Symphony Cancels North Carolina Concerts

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:37 am

I'm glad they did this-North Carolina has let me down a few times now recently. Regards, Len

San Francisco Symphony Cancels North Carolina Concerts, Citing Anti-Gay-Rights Law

By MICHAEL COOPER DEC. 12, 2016

The San Francisco Symphony announced on Monday that it had canceled a pair of April concerts in North Carolina to protest the new state law curbing anti-discrimination protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

The orchestra joins a growing list of luminaries who have shunned the state: rockers such as Bruce Springsteen and Ringo Starr; athletes, including the N.B.A., which moved its All-Star Game to New Orleans; and other classical musicians, like the violinist Itzhak Perlman. The symphony’s move shows that the fallout over the law, commonly known as House Bill 2, is continuing to resonate after Gov. Pat McCrory, the Republican who signed it into law, lost his bid for re-election.

The action affects concerts on April 5 and 6 in Chapel Hill, where the symphony had planned to play music by John Cage, Bartok and Mahler before traveling to Carnegie Hall in New York. The orchestra said that it was inspired in part by the mayor of San Francisco, Edwin M. Lee, who decided to bar city employees in publicly funded positions from traveling to North Carolina on business. While the orchestra is not a public entity, officials said that they wanted to honor their role as cultural ambassadors who uphold the values of their city.

Michael Tilson Thomas, the music director of the San Francisco Symphony, was part of a new generation of classical musicians who spoke openly about being gay. He was traveling on Monday and unavailable for comment, but in an interview with The New York Times in front of a live audience earlier this year he spoke of San Francisco as a place that “has allowed me to be, in the fullest sense, an American, a Jew, and, as of two years ago, a gay married man.”

The North Carolina law nullifies local ordinances establishing anti-discrimination protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, and requires people in public buildings to use restrooms that correspond with the gender listed on their birth certificates. It has divided artists — some of whom have chosen to boycott the state, and others of whom have chosen to appear there to speak out against it. Last week Joshua Weilerstein, artistic director of the Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne in Switzerland, who conducted the North Carolina Symphony in October, announced that he was donating his fee to Equality NC, a group in that state that works for the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

Brent Assink, the executive director of the San Francisco Symphony, said in a statement that the orchestra had held off canceling the concerts until now in the hope that the law would be overturned, but that internal deadlines for booking travel required a decision now.

“We would have loved to perform at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, a community that in many ways is consonant with our own San Francisco Bay Area,” he said in a statement. But the orchestra decided to join others determined not to contribute economically to North Carolina until the law is overturned, he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/12/arts/ ... ic-reviews

david johnson

Re: San Francisco Symphony Cancels North Carolina Concerts

Post by david johnson » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:00 am

A sad move from the orchestra, and the mayor has NO business barring travel to anywhere.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:34 am

david johnson wrote:A sad move from the orchestra, and the mayor has NO business barring travel to anywhere.
But isn't there a difference between public funds and official city business and using one's own money to travel on their own to NC-I don't think he's barred all their travel? Regards, Len

"The orchestra said that it was inspired in part by the mayor of San Francisco, Edwin M. Lee, who decided to bar city employees in publicly funded positions from traveling to North Carolina on business."

John F

Post by John F » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:33 am

david johnson wrote:A sad move from the orchestra, and the mayor has NO business barring travel to anywhere.
He didn't bar the orchestra, but why shouldn't he bar his subordinates from doing business with North Carolina? "The orchestra said that it was inspired in part by the mayor of San Francisco, Edwin M. Lee, who decided to bar city employees in publicly funded positions from traveling to North Carolina on business. While the orchestra is not a public entity, officials said that they wanted to honor their role as cultural ambassadors who uphold the values of their city."

(The governor of New York has similarly imposed "an executive order banning all non-essential state travel to North Carolina. The order requires all New York State agencies, departments, boards and commissions to immediately review all requests for state funded or state sponsored travel to the state of North Carolina, and bar any such publicly funded travel that is not essential to the enforcement of state law or public health and safety." This according to the New York State official web site.)

I should think the orchestra was also inspired "in part" by the fact that its music director, Michael Tilson Thomas, is openly gay and married to his male partner. No doubt some members of the orchestra are gay too. And the North Carolina law goes beyond toilets:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... we-thought
John Francis

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:29 am

I know those things. It is still a sad move by the orchestra. What mayor will you permit to bar your travel?

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:10 am

david johnson wrote:I know those things. It is still a sad move by the orchestra. What mayor will you permit to bar your travel?
But the mayor isn't barring you from traveling on your own time and with your own money-not involving a Mayor but when I worked for Essex County it got in trouble over the food stamp program-Federal officials allowed a group of us to check and copy their audit files in NYC so we could make corrections-I was asked to drive in with a group to do this-the county paid for the mileage, the tolls and the parking-I couldn't do this on my own-I needed official permission. However if I was going into NYC for an opera no Mayor or anyone else could bar me from that-isn't that the distinction to be made? Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:50 am

david johnson wrote:I know those things. It is still a sad move by the orchestra. What mayor will you permit to bar your travel?
When I worked for various companies before retiring, my business travel was subject to my boss's OK, since the company was going to pay my expenses. Obviously. He could decide that the company wasn't going to do any business in North Carolina, and tell me and his other workers that if any of us went there, we couldn't spend the company's money but would have to pay our own way.

This is what the mayor of San Francisco has evidently done, deciding that the city will do no business with North Carolina and therefore will not pay the expenses of city employees who travel there - with the added element that the city's money is from taxpayers, so politics and public policy are in the mix. The employees can of course go to North Carolina for reasons of their own but must pay their way. What's the problem with that?
John Francis

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:13 am

"the mayor of San Francisco, Edwin M. Lee, who decided to bar city employees in publicly funded positions from traveling to North Carolina on business."

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:49 am

david johnson wrote:"the mayor of San Francisco, Edwin M. Lee, who decided to bar city employees in publicly funded positions from traveling to North Carolina on business."
Mayor Edwin M. Lee today issued the following statement after North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory signed into law legislation overturning protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals in the State of North Carolina:

“We are standing united as San Franciscans to condemn North Carolina’s new discriminatory law that turns back the clock on protecting the rights of all Americans including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals. Effective immediately, I am directing City Departments under my authority to bar any publicly-funded City employee travel to the State of North Carolina that is not absolutely essential to public health and safety. " Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:54 am

Like I said.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:11 am

lennygoran wrote:I'm glad they did this-North Carolina has let me down a few times now recently
The Tar-Heel State tanks once again:
https://goo.gl/DhEVCC

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:11 pm

jserraglio wrote:The Tar-Heel State tanks once again:
Yeah. Regards, Len :(