Lance's program 28 Jan. 2017: "Mozartiana"

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Lance's program 28 Jan. 2017: "Mozartiana"

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:42 am

MOZARTIANA
Rare Music by Composers of Mozart's Era
Featuring: Sebastian Comberti, cellist, and Maggie Cole, fortepianist

This was an unusual program for me to prepare for broadcast. I happened to run into a Cello Classics CD that was issued around 2003. The repertoire interested me in that it included music by Helene Reise Liebmann (1796-c.1835), Joseph Wolfl (1773-1812) and Johann Nepomuk Hummel (1778-1837), all of whom lived after Mozart but were highly influenced by his work. Hummel was the best-known composer to me as I immediately fell in love with his compositions and collected them with great interest. Wolfl's music is not all that well known, but he was a master composer and superb keyboardist from all reports. I knew nothing of Helene Reise Liebmann, who, I discovered, wrote some truly interesting and entertaining music. Normally, I am not terribly fond of the fortepiano except in certain cases, and this recording is at the top of the list. I also discovered the work of cellist Sebastian Comberti who founded a unique label, Cello Classics, which has a most interesting catalogue of music, including historical material (Emmanuel Feuermann, for example, in rare recordings). Maggie Cole is a keyboardist of exceptional talent and makes her fortepiano come to life in a memorable way. You may know some of her "other" work in remastering recordings for the Music & Arts label. She also has a well-received catalogue of recordings as a keyboardist.

Now, this music is not generally known, and it is not frequently recorded. However, like me, I think you will come away from an hour of music that is exciting, uplifting, and making you want to hear other works by all three of these composers mentioned.

Here is the program lineup:

• Helene Riese Liebmann: Grand Sonata for Cello, Op. 11
• Joseph Wolfl: Sonata in D Minor for Cello, Op. 31
• Johann Nepomuk Hummel: Variations alla Monferina for Cello, Op. 54

SEBASTIAN COMBERTI, cello
MAGGIE COLE, fortepiano

Here is the link:
www.http://wpel.streamon.fm/

The program can be heard anywhere in the world as long as you have a computer with speakers and adjust your time schedule to equate to 7:00 p.m. Eastern time. My usual descriptive dialogue about the artist and subject matter precedes the musical content.

I hope you will enjoy this broadcast entitled MOZARTIANA, which is heard all over the world via the Internet at the above-listed URL. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]