Lance Programs 4/11 Feb. 2017: Mozart Birthday Celebration

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Lance Programs 4/11 Feb. 2017: Mozart Birthday Celebration

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:50 pm

Mozart's 261st Birthday Salute
200th Birthday Recordings from Deutsche Grammophone (1956)

The comment was frequently made that one cannot simply "get enough of Mozart's music." I fell on that bandwagon this year, albeit it a little bit late. The 200th- and 250th Mozart celebrations saw many issues from record companies, compilations, complete works, and also on the live stage was tribute given to this most worthy composer. In 1956 the great Yellow Label, Deutsche Grammophon of Germany, presented a number of issues from their outstanding catalogue, issues recorded between 1955 and 1960 spread over 12 CDs, well-filled, in two slipcases with two volumes of two discs in each case. I was very happy to acquire these sets though the individual albums were released independently as well. For this and next week's program, I've delved into these sets and happily present them on the two broadcasts. Mozart, of course was born in Salzbug, Austria on January 27th, 1756 and died in Vienna on December 5th, 1791 at the age of 35. He left us a legacy of over 600 compositions and was a prolific genius right to the end of his pauper-like life since money was always a problem despite his fame even in his own time
Here is the program lineup:

MOZART:

PROGRAM I, Saturday, February 4th, 2017

• Symphony No. 29 in A Major, K. 201 w/Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra, Ferenc Fricsay, conductor (r. 1955)
• Piano Concerto No. 13 in C Major, K. 415 w/Clara Haskil, piano, Festival Strings Lucerene, Rudolf Baumgartner, conductor (r.1960)

PROGRAM II, Saturday, February 11th, 2017

• Serenade No. 9 in D Major, K. 320, "Posthorn" w/Karl Benzinger, posthorn [mvt. 6]; Bavarian Radio Symphony orchestra, Ferdinand Leitner, conductor (r.1957)
• Opera excerpts: Don Giovanni: "Dalla sua pace" w/Walther Ludwig, tenor, Wurttemberg State Orchestra, Ferdinand Leitner, conductor; "Madamina" (Catalogue Aria) w/Josef Greindl, bass; Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, Fritz Lehmann, conductor (r.1952); Abduction from the Seraglio: "Der Holle Rache" w/Rita Streich, soprano; RIAS Symphony Orchestra-Berlin, Ferenc Fricsay, conductor (r.1955)

Here is the link:
www.http://wpel.streamon.fm/

The program can be heard anywhere in the world as long as you have a computer with speakers and adjust your time schedule to equate to 7:00 p.m. Eastern time. My usual descriptive dialogue about the artist and subject matter precedes the musical content.

I hope you will enjoy these two broadcasts honoring Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart on his 261st birthday, which is heard all over the world via the Internet at the above-listed URL. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]