R.I.P. Kurt Moll (1938-2017 .)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

THEHORN

R.I.P. Kurt Moll (1938-2017 .)

Post by THEHORN » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:01 pm

Sad news . The great German bass Kurt Moll has died shortly before his 79th birthday .
He was unforgettable in such roles as Sarastro, Osmin , Rocco , the Landgrave ,
King Marke, Baron Ochs and other great roles for bass .
He leaves so many superlative recordings and appearances on DVD . R.I.P.

Ted Quanrud

Re: R.I.P. Kurt Moll (1938-2017 .)

Post by Ted Quanrud » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:24 am

Here is Kurt Moll in one of his finest roles -- the Commendatore -- in what has to be one of the finest opera stagings ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK1_vm0FMAU

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:25 am

Sorry to hear this-we heard him several times at the Met and enjoyed him. Len

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:52 am

Kurt Moll had a long and distinguished career. I don't have a lot of recordings of his, particularly recitals, but oratorios, some opera, and other collaborative works. Haydn's Creation, duets with Brigitte Fassbaender (Harmonia Mundi), Carl Loewe's lieder (CPO), Mozart opera (Decca), Haydn Seasons (DGG), Beethoven Missa Solemnis (DGG), Strauss Rosenkavalier [excerpts] (DGG), Mozart operas (EMI), Schubert operas (Electrola), Mozart Great Mass in C (DGG) ... actually there's more than I thought there was. Orfeo had a Schubert lieder CD of songs for bass and piano that's kind of rare. He tended more for opera and oratorio it seems. So, one-by-one, they leave us, or we leave them.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:09 pm

You surprise me, Lance, I thought you got everything. :) Whatever, I recommend the recording of "Parsifal" by Karajan, in which Moll sings Gurnemanz. Beautiful.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:37 am

Well, I have much, with appreciation and thankfulness, but certainly not everything. I don't think anybody does. I generally collect by performing artist, then repertoire. But when a great artist becomes deceased, I immediately think about doing a memorial radio broadcast or two and look to see what I have. I certainly have enough to prepare two on Herr Moll. I generally prefer vocal "recitals," (operatic, oratorio, and song literature) - for diversification of repertoire. I also already have all the operas of Wagner in multiple performances except the the particular one you recommend of Parsifal. For me, too much Wagner is like having too many sets of Beethoven's "9" and of those, I already have more than my share. [Beethoven's "32" is an entirely different matter for yours truly.] But you have piqued my curiosity about Moll's Gurnemanz. I'll have to determine if excerpts are available. Parsifal is my favourite opera of Wagner, so yours is excellent information. Grazie!
John F wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:09 pm
You surprise me, Lance, I thought you got everything. :) Whatever, I recommend the recording of "Parsifal" by Karajan, in which Moll sings Gurnemanz. Beautiful.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

John F

Post by John F » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:08 am

If I had to live with just two recordings of "Parsifal," Karajan's would be one of them - the most beautiful "Parsifal" I've ever heard. The other would be the Philips recording from Bayreuth 1962 conducted by Knappertsbusch, the most profound. This not just in the conducting but the singing, in both cases.
John Francis

Ted Quanrud

Post by Ted Quanrud » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:56 am

JohnF wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:08 am
If I had to live with just two recordings of "Parsifal," Karajan's would be one of them - the most beautiful "Parsifal" I've ever heard. The other would be the Philips recording from Bayreuth 1962 conducted by Knappertsbusch, the most profound. This not just in the conducting but the singing, in both cases.
I completely agree with you, John. The Karajan and Knappertsbusch "Parsifals" are essential to my collection of Wagner recordings.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Well, based on opinions hereon, I expect to have a copy of the Karajan PARSIFAL shortly. Thank you for helping to spend my hard-earned $$$!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief