Snow means listening to more music!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Snow means listening to more music!

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:45 am

We, in the Binghamton, New York area have been hugely hard-hit with snow. [We even made USA Today for snow amounts!] I cannot recall seeing a storm as bad as "Stella" in many years. In some places around my place, I measured 22 inches of snow. We are in a second day of no travel ban. I patiently await my snow removal man. Cannot get out of the house or driveway. When all this melts, there will be lots of water. I wish I could remember what one foot of snow calculates to the comparable amount of water, but I'm sure there will be other problems for people. I hope all my CMGers are doing well, taking advantage of listening to more music and are keeping warm and staying happy.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Ted Quanrud

Re: Snow means listening to more music!

Post by Ted Quanrud » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:30 am

Hi Lance --

I think people in more southern climes don't understand the joy of "snow days." Earlier this year, I was snow-blocked in my house for four days, but I had a well-stocked larder, liquor cabinet and wine cellar, thousands of CDs and books, a happy little cat and a comfy chair. I almost resented it when the snow removal service showed up.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:52 am

Hello, Lance!

Here in the city we barely got 8 inches, but we stayed indoors anyway because of the wind. Instead, we embarked on a Richter (Sviatoslav, that is) marathon in a final attempt to polish off the Russian megabox, and succeeded. The sound in that box is quite modern (except for a few early rare recordings), and the playing was Richter at his best. In fact, it looks like we dodged a bullet, as thing look fairly normal outside for running errands and going to appointments today. Having a playful cat in the mix, along with a glass or two of good red wine, certainly helped the experience, along with good food prepared by Teresa for dinner.

We also checked with cliftwood & arepo, and they're doing fine. The sun was out in their area in the early afternoon, yet we had other friends who had accumulations of 20" in eastern PA. My niece and nephew had rain! in Brick (no snow), so it was a mixed bag all around.

Glad to know you enjoyed the day! :D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Lance wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:45 am
We, in the Binghamton, New York area have been hugely hard-hit with snow.... I measured 22 inches of snow.
Lance you beat us out-we came in at 18 inches-our snowplow guy came and despite an icy driveway we're basically ready to drive out-tomorrow Philly and their Flower show. Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:00 pm

maestrob wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:52 am
In fact, it looks like we dodged a bullet, as thing look fairly normal outside for running errands and going to appointments today.
Brian you were on the right side of the snow/rain line from I95-we were on the wrong side. Regards, Len :(

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:57 pm

Well, tomorrow (Thursday), my snow removal man is coming at 7am. Finally. And the Mrs. is returning from Florida saying it has been cold there (Fort Lauderdale area). She's going Amtrak (will never fly). When I was there a few weeks ago it was wonderful. We have now had no mail delivery for two days. I'm glad we were well stocked with soups and stuff. With travel bans except for emergencies, there was no way to get out of the driveway anyway. So, looks like we may be getting back to normal. Thank you for your responses. Nice to know what is going on in the rest of the state and country. NYC really lucked out. You were supposed to have a major one. I mentioned 20 inches of snow. A symphony conductor who lives nearby had 40 inches in his backyard. Lucky me.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:10 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:57 pm
When I was there a few weeks ago it was wonderful.
Lance same for Sue and myself-we had beautiful weather everyday-that holds true for the first trip to Fort Lauderdale and the second one last week to Fort Myers and Sarasota! Regards, Len :D

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:21 am

The good news here in Southern New Jersey is that we got less snow (a couple of inches accumulation) than expected. The bad news is that what did fall was heavy freezing rain, which toppled a tree down the street, which fell on a power line, which caused our street to lose power for just over 24 hours. With no heat, we had to vacate the house and stayed overnight at our son's house. When we returned, we had to clean out the spoiled food from the fridge. Not a fun couple of days.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:28 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:21 am
The bad news is that what did fall was heavy freezing rain, which toppled a tree down the street, which fell on a power line, which caused our street to lose power for just over 24 hours. With no heat, we had to vacate the house and stayed overnight at our son's house. When we returned, we had to clean out the spoiled food from the fridge. Not a fun couple of days.
Henry that's terrible-I feel for you-we were without power for 8 days the year before Sandy in late Oct-we toughed it out but I threw out so much frozen food it was sickening-then we decided on a standby generator and we weathered beautifully Sandy when our area had another 8 day power outage. Today we're heading to Philly for the Flower show and are very concerned about the drive down-black ice always scares me. Just looking at the convention center in real time right now-doesn't look too bad. Regards, Len

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1100+ ... 11!6m1!1e1