lower case classical music

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

lower case classical music

Post by lennygoran » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:32 am

I admit that sometimes when using my tablet like now I get lazy and use lowercase rather than the shift key for capital letters-now I see the NYTimes discusses this issue and the other reasons for lowercase. Len

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/arts ... collection

jserraglio

Re: lower case classical music

Post by jserraglio » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:13 am

classical composers have a high dynamic range. maybe this trend will challenge the move to uppercase shouting in politics:
SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!
from this day on, i think cmg should ban all capitals on their board unless they are used in the pub.
Last edited by jserraglio on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

John F

Post by John F » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:32 am

Michael Cooper wrote:These small grammatical rebellions strike some as poetic and others as pretentious — at least when the titles are given as their composers intended.
This is old hat. Cooper mentions E.E. Cummings, who did away with capital letters in his poetry as early as the 1920s. Don Marquis maybe parodied this in his stories about Archy the cockroach and Mehitabel the cat; when writing his poems on Marquis's typewriter, Archy didn't use capital letters because he couldn't physically reach the shift key. But I think a work's title should be spelled, capitalized, and punctuated as the author or composer wrote it, just as the notes and incidentals should be as written, and copy editors be damned. :D
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:40 am

jserraglio wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:13 am
classical composers have a high dynamic range. maybe this trend will challenge the move to uppercase shouting in politics:
SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!
from this day on, i think cmg should ban all capitals on their board unless they are used in the pub.
i`d be glad to go along with your proposal-especially when using this darn tablet! len

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:55 am

letsdropspacespunctuationandlineendingtoosowecanbereallylowkey
Last edited by jserraglio on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

John F

Post by John F » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:56 am

lennygoran wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:32 am
I admit that sometimes when using my tablet like now I get lazy and use lowercase rather than the shift key for capital letters
Even so, you're one of the few people I know who actually writes sentences and even paragraphs on their tablet or smartphone. Usually I get just a few words, because writing without a proper keyboard is awkward. Good for you!
jserraglio wrote:letsdropspacespunctuationandlineendingsowecanbereallylowkey
How about vowels too? The Hebrew alphabet gets along fine without them.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:59 am

m bltth kybrd wrks wll (spaces added to make it readable)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:35 am

John F wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:56 am
lennygoran wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:32 am
I admit that sometimes when using my tablet like now I get lazy and use lowercase rather than the shift key for capital letters
Even so, you're one of the few people I know who actually writes sentences and even paragraphs on their tablet or smartphone.
John the key is verbatim-actually what I should say is the keyboard is verbatim-ino I have a separate blue tooth keyboard that makes typing much easier-if I had to use that darn keyboard right on the screen I`d be finished. This is the same reason I keep my old smartphone which really is out of date-still it has a querty keyboard that slides out from the phone and they hardly make them anymore. Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:47 am

La boheme, La traviata, e. e. cummings, etc. This is not new at all! Why make such an issue.....

John F

Post by John F » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:54 am

Different languages have different rules for work titles. In Italian and French, only the first word and any proper names are capitalized: La jolie fille de Perth. In German, the first word and all nouns are capitalized. In English, the first word and all others except articles and adverbs are capitalized. It's all spelled out in the University of Chicago style manual, which was our bible or Bible when I was in publishing. In every language, as far as I know, the first word in a title is capitalized. So La traviata is correct as a title, but la traviata isn't a title.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:16 pm

S.E. Hinton, That Was then, This Is now
Ingmar Bergman, Through a Glass darkly
Rebecca Caudill, Did You Carry the Flag today, Charley?
Ernest Hemingway, Across the River And Into the Trees
Nathaniel Hawthorne, The House Of the Seven Gables
In English, the first word and all others except articles and adverbs are capitalized . . . .

John F

Post by John F » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:57 pm

OK, so conjunctions and other such words aren't capitalized either in English. I didn't look this up in the Chicago Style Manual or make a research project of it. :roll: Which is beside my point, which is that English titles have different rules for capitalization than Italian and other languages.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:57 pm

John F wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:54 am
Different languages have different rules for work titles. In Italian and French, only the first word and any proper names are capitalized: La jolie fille de Perth. In German, the first word and all nouns are capitalized. In English, the first word and all others except articles and adverbs are capitalized. It's all spelled out in the University of Chicago style manual, which was our bible or Bible when I was in publishing. In every language, as far as I know, the first word in a title is capitalized. So La traviata is correct as a title, but la traviata isn't a title.
I know that, John. I studied Modern Languages at Villanova, with French and Education as my majors and Russian as my minor. That knowledge came in handy while coaching my singers, along with a natural facility for languages.

I guess my point wasn't clear, which is that lack of capitalization in English is nothing new, so why suddenly make a fuss about it? When texting, youngsters get lazy about it, even leaving out punctuation. I'm old-fashioned, and prefer my computer's qwerty keyboard for posting here and for writing business letters.