CURSE OF CAMERA PHONES’ AT ROYAL OPERA HOUSE

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:13 am

A friend sent me this letter from the Times [of London]-may it never get so bad here in NYC! Regards, Len

Sir, There is no longer any attempt at the Royal Opera House to enforce the rule of “no photography in the auditorium”, as printed in the programme. During the last half hour of the performance on March 1, my neighbour used her phone as a watch, illuminating it every few minutes to see if she would make the bus. Between the two parts of the last act, during a short scene change, at least 15 phones lit up along the length of the row as people checked for messages. Arms shot into the air in the orchestra stalls to take selfies, people contorted themselves to photograph the ceiling and the closed curtains. At curtain call, there was an explosion of photo-taking, hitherto banned by general consent.

I have written to the director of the Royal Ballet to ask why no attempt is made to enforce the time-honoured rules of the House, but have had no reply. Loyal patrons of some years’ standing are outraged by the laissez faire attitude of the management.

Susan Steinberg
Oxford

John F

Re: CURSE OF CAMERA PHONES’ AT ROYAL OPERA HOUSE

Post by John F » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 am

It would disrupt the performance and annoy the audience even more if ushers were to enter the auditorium and start evicting offenders wholesale. Not to mention creating an unfriendly relationship between the ushers and the customers. If this is so widespread, there really isn't much the opera house can do about it. And if flash bulbs and cell phone conversations aren't going on during the actual performance, but during intermission pauses or curtain calls, I can't see that any real harm is being done.

Brits of a certain kind enjoy complaining about anything they consider a breach of decorum. I read one letter to an opera magazine complaining that some people in the audience were wearing "trainers," what we call sneakers or running shoes; the Royal Opera has no dress code that I'm aware of, but that doesn't prevent some people from imposing their own.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:08 am

John F wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 am
It would disrupt the performance and annoy the audience even more if ushers were to enter the auditorium and start evicting offenders wholesale. Not to mention creating an unfriendly relationship between the ushers and the customers. If this is so widespread, there really isn't much the opera house can do about it. And if flash bulbs and cell phone conversations aren't going on during the actual performance, but during intermission pauses or curtain calls, I can't see that any real harm is being done.
It did seem that a lot of the activity the person complained about took place during the performance. I was very surprised to see someone taking a lot of photos with a camera in the first row of the balcony during the L'Amour de Loin-it was on the other side from where we were sitting--the light show on the stage was just incredible! If I were at a Met production and someone near me turned on one of those smartphone lights to read something it would disturb me greatly. Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:22 am

Would it not disturb you even more if an usher came to that person, a conversation (not necessarily hushed) about it ensued, and the person either squeezed past you on the way out or refused to leave and remained sitting? It would certainly bother me, a lot. Texting is silent, and you should be attending to the spectacle in front of you, not to a 2-inch square of light beside you.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:38 am

FWIW........

Friends of ours just had their son perform in a chorus in Carnegie Hall this past Saturday: they were allowed to record the applause before the concert began and a few bars of the chorus, but were told in no uncertain terms by an usher to turn their phone off immediately.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:41 pm

John F wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:22 am
Texting is silent, and you should be attending to the spectacle in front of you, not to a 2-inch square of light beside you.
I don't agree-if that light were right next to me it would be very distracting. You say texting is silent-only if the person hadn't turned off his smartphone as he is supposed to do-if he left it on I might also be vulnerable to his smartphone if someone called him. Regards, Len

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Phones, taking pictures and texting in concert venues is extremely selfish and very disruptive. In Vienna the people themselves usually speak to offenders because management does not, despite warnings on tickets. The Japanese are amongst the worst with this behaviour. As an usher commented to me once at the Wiener Konzerthaus "they must have two lives; one to take the pictures and another to spend looking at them"!!

I'm over selfish people; period!! Not part of my quality world.

John F

Post by John F » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:33 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:41 pm
John F wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:22 am
Texting is silent, and you should be attending to the spectacle in front of you, not to a 2-inch square of light beside you.
I don't agree-if that light were right next to me it would be very distracting. You say texting is silent-only if the person hadn't turned off his smartphone as he is supposed to do-if he left it on I might also be vulnerable to his smartphone if someone called him.
That's not texting, it's phoning - not the same thing.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:16 pm

John F wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:33 pm
That's not texting, it's phoning - not the same thing.
John I've sent a few texts although not as many as our President :( -the phone does have to be on-the light too so you can see what you're typing or do I have that wrong? Regards, Len

barney

Post by barney » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:50 pm

The young woman in front of me at a recent recital turned her phone every few minutes. Before the last piece I asked her if she could manage without it for that piece as it was very distracting. It was right in my line of vision to the stage, where Daniil Trifonov's hands deserved full attention. The man next to her said it was distracting him too, and after the concert several people thanked me.
You can't help but notice it in a darkened auditorium.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:53 pm

barney wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:50 pm
You can't help but notice it in a darkened auditorium.
Barney absolutely-I thank you too and I wasn't even there! Regards, Len :lol:

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:03 pm

I'm very dismayed reading that there are uber selfish people who still continue to abuse others with their sense of entitlement. It puts me off ever attending another concert or recital. Seriously.

A few years ago I was in the Brahms Saal at the Musikverein for a concert of the LA Baroque Orchestra (I think it was called) and a fabulous musician virtuosically played the natural horn for the Bach Brandenburg (all 5 were played on that program) and went very red in the face so doing. The couple in front of me talked all the way through the whole proceedings. After the interval a member of the audience moved from a cheaper seat to the one next to mine and I complained about it to him. He responded, "I can only apologize, madam, and assure you this is not typical of the behaviour of audiences in Vienna". I wasn't convinced.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:08 am

I would have said, as sweetly as I can, "I paid to hear the musicians, not you."