NYTimes article on Renee Fleming

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

NYTimes article on Renee Fleming

Post by lennygoran » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:05 am

I enjoyed this article on Fleming-meantime Placido keeps going-we hope to see him next season in luisa miller. Len

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/arts ... -news&_r=0

maestrob

Re: NYTimes article on Renee Fleming

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Len, thank-you for the article. Fleming has been, I think, one of the most sensible opera stars of her generation. She once sang Lohengrin to some success (in Germany, IIRC), but has wisely stuck to repertoire that suited her lush yet powerful sound. The Marschallin has been her calling-card role for her entire career, and I'm glad she's marking her retirement with these performances, as Leontyne Price did with Forza. Fleming should continue to concertize as her voice is untouched by time. I'm sure the world's opera stages will miss her greatly, as will I.
Last edited by maestrob on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:20 am

Yes, a fair assessment. I admired her greatly though, oddly, not especially in Rosenkavalier where I agree with the bland criticism. When she came to Melbourne she put her heart into it, unlike - for example - Alagna.

John F

Post by John F » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am

I particularly respect Fleming for her willingness to take on repertory that isn't normally associated with a singer of her type. Sopranos who have sung both Eva in "Die Meistersinger" (for one summer only, at Bayreuth) and Handel's Alcina, and done both well, are rare; the only one who comes to mind is Lilli Lehmann, and I don't know that she ever sang a Handel opera in the theatre, though she did perform both Wagner and Mozart.
John Francis