What to review?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Len_Z

What to review?

Post by Len_Z » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:12 am

I am really surprised the NYT has not reviewed Mitsuko Uchida's recent recital at the Carnegie Hall. Maybe I have missed it, but I would think a concert by a major veteran artist with a major international career at a major NY venue definitely merits a review. Or does it?

And, in general, how do old good folks at the NYT decide which event to cover? New Broadway, Met, ABT productions usually get a review of the opening night, and I wonder what (if any) are the guidelines for vocal/instrumental recitals.

John F

Re: What to review?

Post by John F » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:03 am

I've been told that the Times's top classical music writer, currently Anthony Tommasini, assigns staff and freelance writers to performances. They write their reviews, but not all are published, depending on the space available - which has steadily been shrinking for a long time. It used to be that some reviews which didn't appear in the print edition were put online; I don't know if that's being done any more. But some are just put on the spike. Tommasini makes the first cut, but his superior may cut some more.

The Times's classical music reviews never appear sooner than the second day after the event. Sometimes they show up as much as a week later, so it's possible that the review of Uchida's concert with the clarinetist Jörg Widmann, which undoubtedly has been written unless the assigned reviewer couldn't make it to the concert for some reason, may yet appear.
John Francis

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks John, I also thought that they were waiting for the second concert with Jörg Widmann to review it together with the solo recital that Uchida had played several days prior, but so far nothing. Especially considering that Uchida played a piece by Widmann that had been writtern for her and (I think, not sure) co-commissioned by the Carnegie Hall.

Is it possible that the assigned reviewer hated it so much, he didn't want to embarrass esteemed musicians by a negative article?

God knows, NYT moves in mysterious ways:))))

John F

Post by John F » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:40 pm

I suppose anything is possible, but that's extremely improbable. A reviewer's job, if he disapproves of what he is reviewing, is to say so and say why; to duck and run is unprofessional and the reviewer might as well turn in his membership card. :)
John Francis